• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had to google to find out what a "chomo" was.

giphy.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are saying there are no Latino gang members that are citizens of the US that live in San Diego? I'm sure there was no assumption of his citizenship based upon his name or appearance. It was purely because he was tattooed and running drugs.

The issue is with the assumption that he is illegal. While he may be, there was nothing in that report that said anything about his being illegal. It gave a name, age and city. Any other inferences are just that.

Maybe it wasn't mentioned, because the ISP doesn't really care. That wouldn't be a state crime.

Well, actually; what I was saying was that I assumed you missed the other instances nearby in the thread where others did exactly what you were calling out BeeDub and Mongo for

Call it a PSHA (public service hypocrisy alert)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    View attachment 74917

Yep, there's nothing about this guy to make one suspect illegal alien/gang member

Nothing to see here, quityer racial profilin'

IS that guy an illegal and a gang member, or am I just supposed to automatically assume that the brown guy, in orange jumpsuit with neck tattoos is such? Kinda lacking context.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IS that guy an illegal and a gang member, or am I just supposed to automatically assume that the brown guy, in orange jumpsuit with neck tattoos is such? Kinda lacking context.

How about assuming he's a drug trafficker? (and likely a gang member at the very least) I'm not up on my gang tats though, so who knows... That okay? :)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Sorry, but the thought that something was amiss was my first thought and I admit it. But now that I see his pic I can understand were one could have thought it was shift change at the Vatican...

If posting on a thread at this site carried the weight of law I would be in the wrong, so cull me out of the jury pool.

I believe there is a difference between trying to uphold "innocent until proven guilty" in our society and parading around like some prey animal waiting to be taken out.

If my "weird-s@#t-o-meter" goes off I talk about it, sorry if it was offending. Jamil must be rubbing off on me...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    View attachment 74917

Yep, there's nothing about this guy to make one suspect illegal alien/gang member

Nothing to see here, quityer racial profilin'
    Dude is bad news. He’s likely done some much worse stuff than this. But if the point was illegal drugs flowing through the border, and the dude caught had swastika tats and his name was European rather than Spanish, it’s doubtful the video would be posted in this thread, even if the drugs came through the southern border. And, since the topic is the wall, as if the wall would stop them.

BTW, my point wasn’t to police thought. My point was that the premise for posting that video in this thread was a non sequitur. Mexican, gang looking dude, getting busted for drugs, justifies setting a precedent far beyond any prior use of emergency powers, does not follow. It’s a feelings-derived sentiment. Spending this much on a wall, feigning emergency to get it done, justifying it with fear is not how a good leader gets things done. And I acknowledge the extra difficulty Trump has in getting things done through a hostile press and a hostile congress. But c’mon Trump. Don’t be a ***** ass punk. The history of all Presidents’s use of emergency powers manifests the intended purpose of that power and the extraordinary way Trump is using it.

There are some things Trump has done that I applaud. But this move is an example of what is dangerous about him. It’s a ***** ass move from a narcissistic ******* who is showing the world how sometimes, he’s dumb as a bag of ****.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, actually; what I was saying was that I assumed you missed the other instances nearby in the thread where others did exactly what you were calling out BeeDub and Mongo for

Call it a PSHA (public service hypocrisy alert)
    :rolleyes:

nonsense. The hypocrisy is complaining, rightly I might add, of Obama’s overuse of pen and phone, while applauding Trump’s yet more egregious uses, because, as clear as day, the end justifies the means.

And this was my complaint about nominating Trump. A few Trumpers forced a crappy person on the rest of the electorate via a flawed Primary system. who did not want Hillary anywhere near power. When I was forced to vote for Trump as a Hobson’s choice, I was concerned that his supporters were incapable of criticizing legitimately bad behavior, and therefore could not hold him accountable. ***dammit I hate being right sometimes. A high price to pay for at least 4 years of Hillary not president.

Or, Idunno. Maybe Democrats wont abuse this newly precedented power to render Congress irrelevant. Surely they’ll be benevolent. Oh well. Works great though while it’s your guy doing it. Maybe you guys can again find your way back to the right when the Dems get back in office. Maybe then you’ll be able to detect DICKtator bs. This pragmatic BAMN **** supported now isn’t very American.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That’s true enough. Maybe he gave his life to Jesus and wished he could get rid of those tattoos. But I think what he got busted for gives enough context to make some judgements about his lifestyle and character.

What it doesn’t do is justify using emergency powers in a way never done before, to bypass congress for appropriations, to build a wall where its effectiveness to stop such a person as this, is reasonably doubted.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, the topic of the Alabama woman who wants to come back from Daesh is super-interesting. To my knowledge, the only way we can strip someone of US citizenship is if they're convicted of treason or something. (Which, might totally happen to her.)

But, her dad was a diplomat, so maybe she's not a US citizen. But, his diplomatic status ended a month before she was born. And she had a US passport, which in the vast majority of situations means that the US gov't thought she was a citizen.

I'd prefer that we not deny her back under some thin pretense that she was the child of a diplomat. That seems lazy to me. Let's let her come back, then prosecute her for what she actually chose to do, then let those chips fall where they may.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That’s true enough. Maybe he gave his life to Jesus and wished he could get rid of those tattoos. But I think what he got busted for gives enough context to make some judgements about his lifestyle and character.

What it doesn’t do is justify using emergency powers in a way never done before, to bypass congress for appropriations, to build a wall where its effectiveness to stop such a person as this, is reasonably doubted.

I wish this could have been accomplished by the congress, via "normal" procedures. I really do.

But to be clear, these aren't new appropriations. The money has been appropriated already. Here's the breakdown:

1.37 Bn - from the bill recently approved (by Congress)
    3.6 Bn. - from the DoD construction fund*
    2.5 Bn. - from the DoD drug interdiction fund*
    600 million from asset forfeiture (Dept. of the Treasury)

* 6.1 billion from already appropriated DoD funds. And who is in charge of the DoD? The CinC. So all but 600 million has already been appropriated by Congress, and the lion's share is coming from the DoD budget, which is spent at the discretion of the CinC - aka the President. So it seems to me that this isn't as extraordinary as it's being made out to be.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wish this could have been accomplished by the congress, via "normal" procedures. I really do.

But to be clear, these aren't new appropriations. The money has been appropriated already. Here's the breakdown:

1.37 Bn - from the bill recently approved (by Congress)
    3.6 Bn. - from the DoD construction fund*
    2.5 Bn. - from the DoD drug interdiction fund*
    600 million from asset forfeiture (Dept. of the Treasury)

* 6.1 billion from already appropriated DoD funds. And who is in charge of the DoD? The CinC. So all but 600 million has already been appropriated by Congress, and the lion's share is coming from the DoD budget, which is spent at the discretion of the CinC - aka the President. So it seems to me that this isn't as extraordinary as it's being made out to be.

I tend to agree that POTUS has the authority to do this, I just question whether this is politically the best way to spend those funds. There's probably no way to tell what construction projects for actual servicemembers are being pushed out of the way by this, but I would generally rate those higher.

Yeah, my gripe is totally in the same vein as, "I don't want my tax money spent on things I disagree with." :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I tend to agree that POTUS has the authority to do this, I just question whether this is politically the best way to spend those funds. There's probably no way to tell what construction projects for actual servicemembers are being pushed out of the way by this, but I would generally rate those higher.

Yeah, my gripe is totally in the same vein as, "I don't want my tax money spent on things I disagree with." :)

Well, it can't all go toward wine, women and song... oh and guns. Oh, and bacon. :)

Top Bottom