• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That’s crazy and goes against the principles of society we’ve learned from the enlightenment. The constitution grants the federal government exclusive authority over the borders. Maybe you don’t think that the fed does it’s job well enough, and that’s fair, but the constitution’s remedy for that is not to join a band of vigilante border guards with no legal authority. You can protest and you can vote and you can run for public office. THOSE are the constitutional remedies.

I can't believe these guys haven't been set-up and sued yet.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, this is a little bit of devil's advocate, but it isn't illegal to bully people.

I mean, assuming the people who they find don't belong there or are engaged in illegal activities, they're really just shining a flashlight on the behavior. The people doing the illicit activities don't want to get caught - by anyone. These people are like flashlights to cockroaches.

As long as these civilians don't practice "shoot first and ask questions later" then I'm not sure what they're doing wrong.

You are absolutely right that they don't have any legal authority to arrest or deport anyone (citizen's arrest laws notwithstanding). And, I'm not terribly comfortable with what they're doing. I just think they can do this such that it get right up against the line, but doesn't cross it.

Legitimate behavior for these groups in the context you’re talking about, would look a lot more like an appropriately scaled neighborhood watch, and a lot less like an armed group of vigilantes. That said, I don’t see anything wrong with armed land owners along the borders patrolling their own land, and acting within the law when they find people who don’t belong there.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Legitimate behavior for these groups in the context you’re talking about, would look a lot more like an appropriately scaled neighborhood watch, and a lot less like an armed group of vigilantes. That said, I don’t see anything wrong with armed land owners along the borders patrolling their own land, and acting within the law when they find people who don’t belong there.

Yeah, that's the idea.

The BDUs and military accoutrements just remind me of the 90s Michigan Militia type thing. These folks are really just well-armed, camo-wearing, radio-communicating hikers.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

So what do you actually do, as an armed landowner, when you encounter tresspassers (or Hondurans, in this scenerio)? What if they keep walking? Serious question; I don't know what's the proper response. And add women and children? I do know the proper response, if they're non-violent, but what do you do under these circumstances?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I run into this problem as a land owner, but people who are there aren't just trying to move through and get deeper into the country. They are after something on my ground that doesn't belong to them. I'm always polite but firm, but really wish I had a camera to record some of the stupid and militant statements people make when caught.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    In other news, I saw a report that Trump intends to use executive authority to require any asylum-seekers to enter at an official port of entry.

That's a totally legitimate use of his power as POTUS. He controls the process.

In fact, if he wanted to specify that asylum applications will only be accepted between 9 and noon on every other Thursday, he can probably do that. And slow-walk them through the process.
    That was my thought as well when I first heard this. He actually sounded well reasoned when he announced this approach.

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I run into this problem as a land owner, but people who are there aren't just trying to move through and get deeper into the country. They are after something on my ground that doesn't belong to them. I'm always polite but firm, but really wish I had a camera to record some of the stupid and militant statements people make when caught.

Dude, what are you growing? Just kiddin. Property rights are high up on my priority list, no pun intended

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    That was my thought as well when I first heard this. He actually sounded well reasoned when he announced this approach.

Will it work though? Once border crossers are in federal custody, is there a way to prevent them from seeking asylum?

I don't disagree with Trump on a practical level on this, I am just not sure the immigration code allows for it. My very basic understanding is that there is a statutory right to request it during any removal proceeding.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Dude, what are you growing? Just kiddin. Property rights are high up on my priority list, no pun intended

Ginseng, mushrooms, yellow root, deer, grouse and turkeys. Some people think it's like a hillbilly buffet.

I've never gotten to the point where the law was called, just below that. I figure I pay taxes for them to handle those problems.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Will it work though? Once border crossers are in federal custody, is there a way to prevent them from seeking asylum?

I don't disagree with Trump on a practical level on this, I am just not sure the immigration code allows for it. My very basic understanding is that there is a statutory right to request it during any removal proceeding.
    From my understanding I don’t think he totally ruled out any possibility for them to eventually seek asylum but he wants it to be an orderly process by which they must go about it.

If I’m remembering correctly he stated that anyone that attempts to not follow that process and enter illegaly will be detained until they can be processed.

I believe he said that there will be no catch and release.

I guess there are plans in the works to set up tent cities and I would imagine that is what the military would be tasked to do.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    From my understanding I don’t think he totally ruled out any possibility for them to eventually seek asylum but he wants it to be an orderly process by which they must go about it.

If I’m remembering correctly he stated that anyone that attempts to not follow that process and enter illegaly will be detained until they can be processed.

I believe he said that there will be no catch and release.

I guess there are plans in the works to set up tent cities and I would imagine that is what the military would be tasked to do.

Makes sense, IMO most "already in the country" asylum claims are BS anyways. If you have a legitimate claim, make it when you get to the border.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Makes sense, IMO most "already in the country" asylum claims are BS anyways. If you have a legitimate claim, make it when you get to the border.
    I guess the jist of it is from my understanding is that their claims won’t automatically be granted any merit for consideration unless they do it through an official port of entry.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

In fact, there was a company that's sole purpose was to gin up phony asylum claims. Want to stay in America after you finish college? Claim that you became a Christian in China and were persecuted for it.

Definitely worth a listen: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/09/28/652757441/episode-867-special-report-asylum-crackdown

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Didn't mexico already offer asylum? Why are we being forced to grant asylum?

That should be the first question:

"Have you previously been offered asylum by another country and refused it?"

"Yes"

"GTFO"

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I guess the jist of it is from my understanding is that their claims won’t automatically be granted any merit for consideration unless they do it through an official port of entry.
    Gotta be careful as POTUS putting your finger too heavily on that scale. Immigration judges are technically executive branch officers, and the actual federal courts appear to have started to actually care about the conflict that creates.

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Gotta be careful as POTUS putting your finger too heavily on that scale. Immigration judges are technically executive branch officers, and the actual federal courts appear to have started to actually care about the conflict that creates.

Wait. You're saying immigration judges serve at the 'whim' of the President? Like federal States Attorneys? Could get interesting !! I'm probably not saying it correctly, as to States attorneys/prosecutors. Maybe someone with more knowledge can correct me. ... Still, could get interesting. Does that one judge still reside over Hawaii?

Top Bottom