• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It doesn't require much observation of the indexes bouncing precisely off the 50 or 100 SMA to realize that they are pre-programmed inflection points where big money starts selling or buying, and that they are programmed in advance because they have to be. Smaller players, such as myself, will use numbers a bit ahead of those indexes because, even though we might theoretically get another 10 or 20 points of gain or loss, in reality our smaller orders are not executed once the whales start buying or selling and we often get worse outcomes by the time our orders execute, or no action at all depending on the type of stop we use

I would be cautious about your belief that stock prices have not been distorted like commodity prices have. They absolutely have been mutated by too much money chasing too few gains in the age of the widespread 401K, hence the unrealistic P/E ratios

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok maybe I have been skimming instead of reading...

I have been talking more about stabilization vs recovering to a level which is where I think you are.

IF that is true, I apologize.

However, I do still think we will see 30,000. The Nasdaq may go positive for the year today! The wiggle room I see in your statement is a denial that the economy would recover just like all other downturns followed by a more sanguine statement of "we don't" know.

I am not a financial historian or guru, but most major market crashes are due to something "new". Can I provide you with concrete reasons why? Not really, only my own experience. As a retail investor who jumped out of mutual funds into individual stocks on January 1. I am not using any glorified system or anything but the stock portion of my portfolio is down less than 5%. I fully believe I will be positive by the end of the year.

Commodities markets are different than stock markets, such as your milk example. They have to be produced and consumed. The greatest example of this in my book, although it is changing, is the electrical market. It most purely fits that model.

The farming industry has been propped up by subsidies for quite some time. Maybe that has allowed too much growth beyond demand? I dunno. I do know what I would like to see. More farm to community growth. I think this crisis will provide a real opportunity for it. Those supply chains are not nearly as affected.

Maybe I've misunderstood the context but it seemed pretty clear to me that we were talking about the impact to the economy, and its recovery, not specifically the stock market. I wasn't talking about when my 401K will be back to where it was. Decisions matter there more than anything else really. I was mostly out of stocks at the time this all hit, and then I bought back in a few weeks ago. So I'm up a bit at this point from where I was before it hit. Well, except for one mutual fund which I should have dumped long ago.

When we talk about economic recoveries, and that's what I think we were talking about, the stock market is representative more of the optimism/pessimism about the future of the market. The overall health of the economy is dependent on other factors. So when I'm talking about the market here, I'm talking about supply/demand, jobs, GDP, all the economic indicators. "Recovery" would need to include all that. This recovery won't be the same as the rest, because the things that make recoveries happen can't happen until the government let's go.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Appreciate the admittance that retail investors are less algorithmic as previously stated.

When it comes to beliefs, though, the accuracy is about like assuming Orthodox are just like Catholics.

It doesn't require much observation of the indexes bouncing precisely off the 50 or 100 SMA to realize that they are pre-programmed inflection points where big money starts selling or buying, and that they are programmed in advance because they have to be. Smaller players, such as myself, will use numbers a bit ahead of those indexes because, even though we might theoretically get another 10 or 20 points of gain or loss, in reality our smaller orders are not executed once the whales start buying or selling and we often get worse outcomes by the time our orders execute, or no action at all depending on the type of stop we use

I would be cautious about your belief that stock prices have not been distorted like commodity prices have. They absolutely have been mutated by too much money chasing too few gains in the age of the widespread 401K, hence the unrealistic P/E ratios

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Absolutely they have. Maybe I'd say impacted rather than distorted. Stock prices reflect what people are willing to pay, and a lot of that is based on optimism vs pessimism. Stuff like this is a good way to infuse the stock market with pessimism. But it's not really a distortion. It's perception. That said, I don't really have a problem with the wording as is.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Appreciate the admittance that retail investors are less algorithmic as previously stated.

When it comes to beliefs, though, the accuracy is about like assuming Orthodox are just like Catholics.

I thought Orthodox were just, you know, fundamentalist Catholics :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As the politicization of C-19 continues, it appears to me the blue states are looking to play chicken with the republicans in general for a bailout of their bankrupt states, particularly their bankrupt pensions...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Makes sense. They are probably tired of donating to all the poor red states.

As the politicization of C-19 continues, it appears to me the blue states are looking to play chicken with the republicans in general for a bailout of their bankrupt states, particularly their bankrupt pensions...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    CBS caught "enhancing" a testing line in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Medical staff at the testing site had to get into their cars to make the lines longer than the actually were:

[video=youtube;oQWRCECbN-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQWRCECbN-Y&feature=emb_logo[/video]

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    CBS caught "enhancing" a testing line in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Medical staff at the testing site had to get into their cars to make the lines longer than the actually were:

[video=youtube;oQWRCECbN-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQWRCECbN-Y&feature=emb_logo[/video]

I just don’t understand... why not just report the truth? What a shame this is what we’ve come to.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Makes sense. They are probably tired of donating to all the poor red states.
    It takes 2 seconds of research to see where the money in those red states go. Hint: it isn’t the red counties.

Example. Louisiana. All the aides go to New Orleans.

Wanna guess where most of Indiana’s aides go? How about Texas?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Good thing that so many of those Blue states are able to contribute to the federal government, all while managing unsustainable pension programs.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I just don’t understand... why not just report the truth? What a shame this is what we’ve come to.
    Reporting the truth does not:
    1) Make the current Administration look bad
    2) Create outrage. Without outrage fewer viewers tune in. So the network's ad space is less lucrative

For certain media operations, once you see them as nakedly partisan political operations, who also sell ad space to keep the lights on, a lot of their practices make more sense.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Exactly. Otherwise, the red states wouldn't be able to fund their own. Besides, Kentucky (red state) is the worst pension offender.

Good thing that so many of those Blue states are able to contribute to the federal government, all while managing unsustainable pension programs.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    95845971_2730733493811215_9090827228681338880_n.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom