• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Veterans of Foreign Wars. A veterans' organization like the American Legion.

Veterans of Foriegn Wars. Basically a club similar to an American Legion if you've ever heard of that

Thanks guys.I know the American Legion.I've been to their HQ in Indianapolis. :)

Also some fellow INGOers are part of the AL.

I've never heard of the VFW until now.
    I guess it includes all vets except vets from the American civil war.Hopefully all American wars are foreign.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    AL and VFW are Membership Organizations. Any service member can join AL, but only people that actually were in country during declared war can join VFW. It used to be that Viet Nam Vets could not join VFW, but they may have changed that rule.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Requirement to join the American Legion are service within certain time periods. There are several time periods, and most veterans are eligible to join the Legion.

Requirement for the VFW are you must have served overseas, in a combat zone, or area where you draw hazardous duty pay. There are certain ribbons you are awarded for different operations. If you have one of the approved awards, you are also eligible.

The VFW is the oldest service organization, but due to it's exclusive requirements, is not as large as the Legion had grown. Many more veterans can join the legion, than can join the VFW.

Typically, (at least as far as I know) the two do compete, but work together on public events. My VFW (Post 1279) and our sister Legion (Post 29) alternate each year with who will host the Memorial Day events, or Veterans Day events... that kind of stuff.

Memorial Day from a year or so back.

The commander with the service dog (me) is the VFW. The other commander is from the Legion. The mayor (speaker) is also a legion member. After the ceremonies, we (Public invited.) go to one of the posts (this year it was the VFW) for a free meal.

EaRVBIw.jpg

dzBoXAD.jpg

B3E07Ec.jpg

Iu3KnjS.jpg

DYyWh5S.jpg

7w1UAmm.jpg

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    We do good work for our veteran community. Just recently VFW Post 1279 has raised $603 towards paying off an emergency surgery that was required by the service dog of a local disabled veteran. Fund raising continues as we have a $4,000 surgery to pay for.

If you feel like helping a veteran this Christmas season, go here. https://www.gofundme.com/saving-stella-a-debt-repaid
    Rick (the veteran) is a great guy, and Stella (the service dog) is a sweetheart.

TVxdvoD.jpg

l9t0c97.jpg

Pets N Vets is based in Hebron, IN. They offer training for the veteran and the service dog free if you suffer from PTSD, or have a TBI. Rick and I (ans Stella, and Brandy) were in the same class of trainees a few years back. Our class consisted of everything from PFC to LTC. Pets N Vets is ramrodding the fundraising efforts. The lady in the photo is the lead trainer.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This is well worth an Hour of your time.
    [video=youtube;ZLGO3a0alFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLGO3a0alFk[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Another new release.
    [video=youtube;jPfhp8vjs9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPfhp8vjs9E[/video]

One point that this one makes, is that as bad as Sobal was he made easy company.

I heard someone say the other day that even though some officers they served with in war were inept as leaders a died as a result, He was not ashamed of any of them for their courage.

It made me think. While I was in there were some officers that I did not like, may even have thought they were inept, but, I have to say I am not ashamed of their determination and dedication.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is well worth an Hour of your time.
    [video=youtube;ZLGO3a0alFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLGO3a0alFk[/video]

Now I want to rewatch the series.

And.. I think Winters wouldn't have wanted the statue to be about "him". At least from the interviews I've seen.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Actually, he was very clear that it wasn't about him. The memorial uses his image tp personify the leadership of all the platoon leaders in all of the units that served.

The author of these and the men that portrayed them in the mini-series make the point, often, that none of these men wanted to talk about themselves. The would freely speak of the heroics of others, but, not of themselves.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There is a small military museum in downtown Gettysburg that received a number of items from him shortly before he passed. It's well worth a visit if you are near there.

https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com/gallery/band-of-brothers-major-dick-winters-collection/

IMG_2218-3.jpg

The memorial to him in Normandy

1oaGEaH.jpg

I think I've been there.
    It's the Leadership Memorial in Sainte Marie du Mont.

Here's a close-up of the plaque.

dedication-plaque.jpg

Saint Marie du Mont was one of the very first villages to be liberated by US soldiers during D-Day.

800px-Plaque_at_Sainte_Marie_du_Mont.jpg

Several villages claim to have been the firsts to be liberated.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Soon Hammer and Sickle shrines will be the only ones allowed.

[video=youtube;iV3i5wUTDJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV3i5wUTDJ8[/video]

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010