• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We could have all that with a much simpler tax system. Like any other bureaucratic authority, our government has come to only exist to support itself and expand powers. We can cut the federal government by 80% and still maintain the infrastructure and services you cite.

Sound like you could support the flat tax. 10 or 15% for everyone including corporations. Eliminate all deductions. Reduce the IRS to and administrative filing agency with 1/10 the employees and no lawyers nor enforcement authority (transfer enforcement to FBI).

The people with the power to close loopholes - are they for sale? What is to prevent them from opening new loopholes for their owners? Then when actual revenues fail to meet projections, what? Raise the percentages perhaps? BTDT

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    With governments doing everything possible to squeeze every penny from citizens, I am ok with anyone that can, hide their earned money.

The problem is that you and I and most Americans can't hire vast armies of lawyers to help us get out of paying taxes.

Of course, if the tax code wasn't so absurd, it would never be worth the hassle of setting up all these tax havens.

Here's an idea: how about having a tax rate so low, and a code so simple that nobody wants to bother with trying to avoid it?

Isn't it a desirable thing to attract more capital rather than less?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The problem is that you and I and most Americans can't hire vast armies of lawyers to help us get out of paying taxes.

Of course, if the tax code wasn't so absurd, it would never be worth the hassle of setting up all these tax havens.

Here's an idea: how about having a tax rate so low, and a code so simple that nobody wants to bother with trying to avoid it?

Uhh, isn't that basically what he said at the end of his next post? He was replying to somebody else, but I'll quote below for ease of reading:

We could have all that with a much simpler tax system. Like any other bureaucratic authority, our government has come to only exist to support itself and expand powers. We can cut the federal government by 80% and still maintain the infrastructure and services you cite.

Sound like you could support the flat tax. 10 or 15% for everyone including corporations. Eliminate all deductions. Reduce the IRS to and administrative filing agency with 1/10 the employees and no lawyers nor enforcement authority (transfer enforcement to FBI).

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

NPR planet money did a good episode on the tax code, a combination of momentum and intuit lobbyist s prevent it from changing.

Top Bottom