• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh...and "data journalism" is what we call hacking into a system and stealing now? Orwellian Newspeak isn't limited to governments.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Heard earlier that David Cameron's father Ian implicated in 'Panama Papers'. Ran an offshore fund that paid zero ​dollars in UK taxes for the last 30yrs

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Read deeper. What did he do wrong? Non disclosure? Of what? What did he influence improperly? How did he use his position to benefit himself rather than the citizens?

None of what may illegal (other than data breach) is clear to me. There is plenty of supposition, but that's about it.

So they're not doing anything wrong but feel the need to hide what they're doing under multiple layers of shell corporations. Got it

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    is this a legal issue, or does it just look bad?

It's early yet but looks like a legal issue. No official comment yet, but:

After reviewing the files, Richard Brooks, a Private Eye journalist and former HMRC tax inspector, said: “If HMRC had seen the papers they would have had some very serious questions. The clear intention for Blairmore was to avoid becoming UK tax resident and the test for this, even in 2006, is the location of the central management and control.
    “This means where the key business decisions are taken. The evidence here suggests in this period they weren’t taken outside the UK, in which case it is hard to see how the company was not managed and controlled, and therefore tax resident, in the UK at the time.”

Fund run by David Cameron?s father avoided paying tax in Britain | News | The Guardian

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    So they're not doing anything wrong but feel the need to hide what they're doing under multiple layers of shell corporations. Got it

I haven't heard of anything illegal (outside of the obviously criminal act of the data breach). I'm sure that some of the despots and wannabe despots used some money as a slush fund or probably legitimately stole from their people (depending on their country's rule of law). However, shell companies have been used for years as tax havens. Not illegal (unless of course your country says it is).

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Is there anything that doesn't make this SOB call for a tax increase?

Just like a terrorist shooting or gang bang drive by, instant call for more sensible and reasonable gun control. When you have a simple mind, simple solutions like tax increases and gun control float right to the top.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Avoiding taxes is not a crime, evasion is.

"The clear intention for Blairmore was to avoid becoming UK tax resident and the test for this, even in 2006, is the location of the central management and control. This means where the key business decisions are taken. The evidence here suggests in this period they weren’t taken outside the UK, in which case it is hard to see how the company was not managed and controlled, and therefore tax resident, in the UK at the time.

[h=3]tax e·va·sion
    [/h]
    noun

1. the illegal nonpayment or underpayment of tax.

You make the call

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have to wonder how many big dc law firms are upgrading their security software these days.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Avoiding taxes is not a crime, evasion is.

yeah but if im paying my fair share and some rich d-bag is bouncing his cash all over the world to keep his marginal tax rate lower than mine, i reserve the right to call him an arse. And i reserve the right to call for him to no longer be a leader in my government and/or vote against him based on that info.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    yeah but if im paying my fair share and some rich d-bag is bouncing his cash all over the world to keep his marginal tax rate lower than mine, i reserve the right to call him an arse. And i reserve the right to call for him to no longer be a leader in my government and/or vote against him based on that info.

I am just calling people to realize what we know and what we don't know. We don't know much...yet.

But yeah, rich people are horrible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

You expect "some rich d-bag" to stand there and be taxed?:D

Why does "fairness" always involve robbery?:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2a6l6wM2k

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    You expect "some rich d-bag" to stand there and be taxed?:D

Why does "fairness" always involve robbery?:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2a6l6wM2k

Well having the world's largest military costs money. Having a complex countrywide interstate road system costs money. Having a system of courts to adjudicate grievances costs money. Prisons cost money.. ect.

I'm not advocating the extreme mindset of a 90% top tax rate or any BS like that. I'm saying its the folks on this list that control the cast majority of the world's public resources. And if they aren't willing to contribute to it at the minimum level that they demand of us lowly serfs then maybe they shouldn't be running the show.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Well having the world's largest military costs money. Having a complex countrywide interstate road system costs money. Having a system of courts to adjudicate grievances costs money. Prisons cost money.. ect.

I'm not advocating the extreme mindset of a 90% top tax rate or any BS like that. I'm saying its the folks on this list that control the cast majority of the world's public resources. And if they aren't willing to contribute to it at the minimum level that they demand of us lowly serfs then maybe they shouldn't be running the show.

3.2 trillion in tax revenue in 2015.

Clinton's budgets were around 2 trillion, Bush's 2.5. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to pay for all you mention and still run a surplus other than Democrat social engineering.

Top Bottom