• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    As I am a relatively new member to this site, I have been reading select posts of particular interest such as this one. The Indiana concealed carry vs open carry debate is of significance to me as I have considered open carry for many of the reasons enumerated above. Reading the posts for this thread and then reading the thread on what you should do if confronted by a law enforcement officer leads me to consider ways to minimize such a confrontation relative to my carry weapon. As I am a retired federal enforcement officer and also have friends in the local law enforcement community, I have some sense how enforcement officers approach potential illegal activities. Many of these individuals are very Alpha orientated. Couple that with the career objectives of some enforcement officers and the department good will generated from making cases and you have the potential for excessive aggressive scrutiny if you open carry. Further, Law Enforcement Officers, federal and state, are just like the rest of our general population when it comes to political and social views. These personal views can result in an officer with a hidden agenda again using an otherwise innocent situation and pushing their hidden agenda. If the prosecutor assigned to such a case is like minded, an otherwise perfectly innocent legally licensed gun carrier could end up with significant legal fees or worse. Even if you win you could lose big financially. As pointed out in previous posts here, there are numerous good reasons to open carry. However, for me, being retired and having finite financial resources has a significant impact on my thought process relative to open carry. Paying $50,000 in legal fees because of a chance encounter with the wrong law enforcement officer is a real deterrent to me relative to open carry irrespective of the Indiana Statutes silence on the subject. Just my thoughts.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As I am a relatively new member to this site, I have been reading select posts of particular interest such as this one. The Indiana concealed carry vs open carry debate is of significance to me as I have considered open carry for many of the reasons enumerated above. Reading the posts for this thread and then reading the thread on what you should do if confronted by a law enforcement officer leads me to consider ways to minimize such a confrontation relative to my carry weapon. As I am a retired federal enforcement officer and also have friends in the local law enforcement community, I have some sense how enforcement officers approach potential illegal activities. Many of these individuals are very Alpha orientated. Couple that with the career objectives of some enforcement officers and the department good will generated from making cases and you have the potential for excessive aggressive scrutiny if you open carry. Further, Law Enforcement Officers, federal and state, are just like the rest of our general population when it comes to political and social views. These personal views can result in an officer with a hidden agenda again using an otherwise innocent situation and pushing their hidden agenda. If the prosecutor assigned to such a case is like minded, an otherwise perfectly innocent legally licensed gun carrier could end up with significant legal fees or worse. Even if you win you could lose big financially. As pointed out in previous posts here, there are numerous good reasons to open carry. However, for me, being retired and having finite financial resources has a significant impact on my thought process relative to open carry. Paying $50,000 in legal fees because of a chance encounter with the wrong law enforcement officer is a real deterrent to me relative to open carry irrespective of the Indiana Statutes silence on the subject. Just my thoughts.

That's fine. CC or OC, whichever. But I have not had any police say anything negative. And they've had plenty of opprotunity.

Hey... Dont come here bringing reason. Its just fuel for the bonfire some of these people love so much.

Give it a break why don't you.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Paying $50,000 in legal fees because of a chance encounter with the wrong law enforcement officer is a real deterrent to me relative to open carry irrespective of the Indiana Statutes silence on the subject. Just my thoughts.

Of course I respect your choice to carry however you please, but this reasoning ends with you waiving nearly all of your rights and privileges because "a chance encounter with the wrong law enforcement officer", no matter how rare or improbable, could still happen for any or no reason at all.

I'd be up for the defense, but nothing even remotely close to what you're suggesting has ever happened to me and I don't expect it to.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    actaeon277,
    I respect your decision and apparent right to OC. I do not agree that I am giving up significant rights by choosing to CC to minimize unnecessary conflict. I now carry my CC either in a paddle type holster that is always just encumbered by lifting my shirt or I CC in my front pocket. Either position gives me ready access to my weapon. While you have apparently never been hassled, I have. While at a local well known auction house, I had a deputy sheriff shadow my wife and I for more than an hour or so before finally disappearing. I was carrying my CC in a fanny pack. We are in our middle 60s and in no way look menacing as I am 5'8" and my wife is about 5'2" and of average build. We both groom and dress conservatively. The Amanda Knox case in Italy is a relatively current prime example of how an apparently crazy Prosecutor took what looked like to me a completely innocent person and cost that person 4 years of her life. And it seems like there is a TV real crime show on every few weeks where the accused appears to be innocent of the charges leveled. Maybe I am paranoid but I like to think of my position on OC more like driving defensively.

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    and at the end of the day, most CC are fine with people OCing, and most OC are fine with people CCing, but the same few for each side keep this stupid feud going.

If you think someone is stupid for OCing, YOUR the idiot.
    If you think someone is stupid for CCing, YOUR the idiot.

If you are just instigating, you need to get a life.

JFC period.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    and at the end of the day, most CC are fine with people OCing, and most OC are fine with people CCing, but the same few for each side keep this stupid feud going.

JFC period.

Wait a minute....
    Did you just call me a Stupid Idiot?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

JFC period.

Most?

When was the last time you read a thread or a post that started something like this:

I'm probably starting a ****storm, and I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just don't get the CCers. I want EVERYBODY to know I carry. And it's just scaredy ninnies that feel the need to hide it. Just because you can CC doesn't mean you should. Carry how you want, of course, but I'll be sure to mention how wrong I think CC is every time I get the chance.

Yeah, I can't remember it either. OCers don't really care whether or not you're CCing. We're too busy making sure the focus is on us to care what you're doing.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

JFC period.

*You're

Looks like you're the idiot. Your point is invalid.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Can't we all just do a group hug and sing Kumbaya? That would be more productive than continuing this thread....lol.
    I carry both ways. I cannot understand a person's need to criticize how another person chooses to carry his/her firearm. Not everything works for everyone. Now if you're carrying a Hi-Point, that's a different issue..no matter how you carry it. :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Can't we all just do a group hug and sing Kumbaya? That would be more productive than continuing this thread....lol.
    I carry both ways. I cannot understand a person's need to criticize how another person chooses to carry his/her firearm. Not everything works for everyone. Now if you're carrying a Hi-Point, that's a different issue..no matter how you carry it. :D

You must be new around here. INGO is full of allupinyas.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I carry both ways. I cannot understand a person's need to criticize how another person chooses to carry his/her firearm. Not everything works for everyone. Now if you're carrying a [STRIKE]Hi-Point[/STRIKE]Glock, that's a different issue..no matter how you carry it. :D

FIFY :):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom