• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It happens all the time... In movies. People carrying in movies are disarmed by "master theives" and ex-special force commandos all the time so it must happen in banks and convenience store robberies too right? :D

Crooks just aren't that smart.

Sat on a jury once for a bank robber. Dude was caught days later still wearing the same jacket and hat that was on multiple surveillance cameras. Bright gold jacket and a flat-billed ball cap with the tags still on it. Not exactly "grey man" stuff! How did they catch him, you ask? He tried to rob another bank, wearing the same outfit. Didn't get out the door that time.

Smart, they are not.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I prefer conceal carry for a few very simple reasons.

1)Mainly I don't want to get harassed when out on a date or simply trying to get groceries. Sheeple tend to freak out and once phone call later your being inconvenienced with questions or asked to leave.

1.5) Gun free zones. In Indiana they (businesses) can only ask you to leave. They only know when to ask you to leave if they see your carrying. BW3, simon mall, etc. We cannot always dictate which restaurants or places we will be dragged into by family or friends. I don't want to be the party pooper, and I hate leaving my firearm in my car for a smash and grab. It's far safer on me. (why can't places see that logic?!)

2) Another is for security reasons. We go on trips, so we leave the house. If someone puts its all together and knows there are firearms in the house, its a larger theft target. Especially recently. A safe is only good as slowing people down. Better them not know you have anything.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I prefer conceal carry for a few very simple reasons.

1)Mainly I don't want to get harassed when out on a date or simply trying to get groceries. Sheeple tend to freak out and once phone call later your being inconvenienced with questions or asked to leave.

1.5) Gun free zones. In Indiana they (businesses) can only ask you to leave. They only know when to ask you to leave if they see your carrying. BW3, simon mall, etc. We cannot always dictate which restaurants or places we will be dragged into by family or friends. I don't want to be the party pooper, and I hate leaving my firearm in my car for a smash and grab. It's far safer on me. (why can't places see that logic?!)

To some people it is worth it. Once you have been OCing a while you know what places are good to go and which ones aren't. Obviously don't OC into a place with no gun signs or you will be asked to leave or have the most ignorant jack-booted thug on the police force called on you.

Personally if a place doesn't want me to carry or will ask me to leave for it I do not want to spend my hard earned money there anyway.

I always get to pick the place, it is a prerequisite of inviting me somewhere because all family and friends know I carry and why- to protect my family, their daughter and their grandchildren.

2) Another is for security reasons. We go on trips, so we leave the house. If someone puts its all together and knows there are firearms in the house, its a larger theft target. Especially recently. A safe is only good as slowing people down. Better them not know you have anything.

So you're security plan is just to hide the fact that you have guns, but you post on a public forum about it? It really isn't all that difficult for some people to figure out who you are, your anonymity is NOT guranteed on the internet.

IMO there is a BIG difference between a criminal knowing you have valuable firearms in the house free to steal and seeing that you carry one on your person ready to use it.

They may not be willing to take the chance of you actually not being at home. :twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Just as an example, after 2 minutes of searching I know where you live, how old you are, what guns you own and when your child is going to be born.

Don't put personal information on a website and expect privacy/anonymity. Everyone knows who I am because a security guard at a hospital read a story I wrote about it.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Im more so meaning to reduce invitation of a problem. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I have firearms. I understand why OC is preferred as well as fully respect those that choose to. they take that extra step in their daily lives that I've not made. I just choose not to.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    **** on them.

Whenever I am asked to leave a store/business because I carry, I leave/drop my purchases and make it very clear they lost my business, and everyone else that i know and tell.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Has it really ever happened to you? It has never happened to me, but I've only been OCing for about two years.

Once or twice.

I was in a "Big Box" Store, buying supplies to remodel and re-roof my home.
    BIG Purchase.
    Got everything I needed, went to pay when cashier/asst. manager saw my holster.
    She had a cow and started off on me. Calmly put my wallet away and started to walk off.
    Manager came to see what the problem was and I informed him I was taking my business elsewhere, due to his employees attitude.
    They lost a couple grand in my sale alone that day.

tpntch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    I don't OC because of people's ignorance. I have learned to be comfortable with cc. On top of the ignorance about firearms. I don't need any prejudged thoughts or actions affecting my life negatively (however rare it may be).

I share your sentiment... Especially downtown Indy!

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Has it really ever happened to you? It has never happened to me, but I've only been OCing for about two years.

I walked into a Wal-Mart a couple of years ago to buy about $600 worth of sewing machine and supplies. The greeter at the door asked if I was LEO> I said no and he informed me that I could not bring that gun into the store. So I turned and walked away, my wife told him that he had lost a significant purchase for his store that day and that we would not be back in the future.
    So, yeah it happens. :dunno:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I walked into a Wal-Mart a couple of years ago to buy about $600 worth of sewing machine and supplies. The greeter at the door asked if I was LEO> I said no and he informed me that I could not bring that gun into the store. So I turned and walked away, my wife told him that he had lost a significant purchase for his store that day and that we would not be back in the future.

What makes this worse, is that WalMart Corporate Policy is to follow the laws of the State where the store resides..

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Greeter does not have the authority to do that. Only a property owner or manager. Also, as stated, Wal Mart follows state law. You should have talked to a manager.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Greeter does not have the authority to do that. Only a property owner or manager. Also, as stated, Wal Mart follows state law. You should have talked to a manager.
    I ignore greeters entirely, they're only there to make sure you aren't walking out with goods you've not purchased and not actually to make you feel 'welcome'.

When I'm walking out I don't stop for them either regardless of what they say to me. Annoying at best, but I ignore them.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My wife and I got done at the range and decided to hit up Baileys since it was on the way home. We both were OC'ing when a manager told us we couldn't have our weapons in the store. We wear my old Marine Corps cammies with the name tapes removed so as not to be out of regs because of comfort. I laughed for a good 5 min after she returned from the car to put our weapons away. I told the manager if they don't want people carrying they need to put up a sign and for him top pick us out of the others who were there OC'ing as he walked by them is discrimination and I could sue. He apologized and walked away redder than a beet. We still OC there and if he sees us he always asks how we are doing.

Top Bottom