Morgan County

picture.php

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    All the Marines I know always conceal carry.

Not trying to say anything, but just saying'. :D
    You know me...

I OC'd When I was in the Corps, I OC now.

While the hell would an active duty Marine CC while on duty???

(By the way, LoveMachine, I'm not directing that question at you, I'm directing at the absurd comment above by "13 hollow points")

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Wait a second. I think there is a typo. Maybe the username is supposed to read 13 hollow posts.

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I assume you mean besides the link where the bad guys sent a scout into a restaurant only to come back out and so "let's skip this one, there are two armed patrons in there." Only to be arrested just moments later and he confessed all the above?

In the Marines do the Military Police carry concealed? Do MOST security officers at banks wear plain clothes?

And next time you try to just reverse the question...why not answer it first? Or did you learn that from a politician?

Hey now...

When I gave only a couple of examples that showed OC'ers targeted first/just for their guns I was told that nobody ever said it didn't happen & that a couple of instances don't prove anything.

So to those two above I will say that a couple of instances don't PROVE that OC deters crime (actually they are really only ONE event since they both reference the same event).

The bottom line is that there is VERY limited research either way to make an informed decision. Also, if you OC & you are targeted for your gun (because it has happened & will happen again) you will be the one who has to deal with the consequences. OTOH, if you CC & are picked for a crime that you wouldn't have if you had been OC'ing then you must deal with the consequences of that as well. I will add, though, that there is no real good way to KNOW that you wouldn't have been selected had you been OC'ing.

OC'ers need to stop completely discounting that being targeted only for your gun COULD happen. It has happened & WILL likely happen again.

CC'ers need to stop assuming that EVERY criminal is going to be so bold/stupid that they won't care about a known person with a gun & that they will just kill them & commit the crime anyway. Crimes have been deterred by OC'ing & I'm sure there are crimes that will be deterred by OC'ing in the future.

There are good & valid reasons to OC. There are good & valid reasons to CC as well.

Carry how you want while making the best decision you can given the information you have & just deal with it & support the other guys right to do the same. It's really the only thing we can do.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    finity, the only time I've heard of someone being targeted for OC was here in Milwaukee where a guy was robbed at gun point for his firearm, which he had to help the criminal take out of the holster. Do you have any other examples?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    finity, the only time I've heard of someone being targeted for OC was here in Milwaukee where a guy was robbed at gun point for his firearm, which he had to help the criminal take out of the holster. Do you have any other examples?

You can read back through this thread to find my other posts. Your guy in Milwaukee was one of the ones I used.

I'm sure there are more than I posted there but it's very difficult to search for news items on the subject since the search terms (open, carry, gun, target, etc) are fairly common in many crimes. I found those in a few minutes on google though.

The Glockantuan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    I kinda OC'd today to the town store. Used my Blackhawk Serpa holster; although it was concealed mostly by my jacket. Might take it to dinner and movie tonight with my special woman! :popcorn:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I kinda OC'd today to the town store. Used my Blackhawk Serpa holster; although it was concealed mostly by my jacket. Might take it to dinner and movie tonight with my special woman! :popcorn:

FYI: there is no such thing as "kinda OC." Open Carry denotes a purposely exposed pistol in full view. This can be for legal reasons such as where it is legal to OC but not CC without a license. In that case I do not think a jacket covering it would pass.

There is also the reasons most of us carry in Indiana, because we choose to.

What does everyone else think? Do you guys just strap on a OWB holster and maybe they can see it maybe they can't and consider that OC? Or is it purposely exposed?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    FYI: there is no such thing as "kinda OC." Open Carry denotes a purposely exposed pistol in full view. This can be for legal reasons such as where it is legal to OC but not CC without a license. In that case I do not think a jacket covering it would pass.

What does everyone else think? Do you guys just strap on a OWB holster and maybe they can see it maybe they can't and consider that OC? Or is it purposely exposed?

+1 for strap on and exposed in an appropriate context.

Edit: Aw, man! Scutter's keeping me down again. No rep for you.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    To "kinda OC" is a failed CC attempt. You have to choose one or the other. One will make you the first victim and get you harrassed by the Man, while the other one gets your man card another stamp. Choose wisely.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I get upset when my coat drapes over it. I mean, I need to know it's exposed.

Lol...

I have never been a big "OC'er". Not for any particular "tactical" reasons... just preferred CC'ing... "OC"ing to me was too much like being "on the job" so to speak and I prefer to blend into the crowd more often then not.

That being said I would never tell someone who has chosen to "OC" that they shouldn't or insult their intelligence.

It's a chose plain and simple. Both modes of carry have their pros and cons... one just has to choose which outweighs the other for themselves.

The Glockantuan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012

Ha,

Then to more accurately put it later in the evening, I CC'd when we went into Denny's later that evening; OC'd whenever I took off my coat to go to restroom and pay the bill; and then CC'd again whenever I put on my coat to leave.

I'll remember from now on that true OC'ing is more than just OWB holsters. I'll be sure to pull up any possible clothing before considering it an OC (or at least posting about it on here) :n00b:

Top Bottom