• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Just curious if anyone who open carries is worried about public alarm and unwanted attention. I remember many years ago when I received my first carry permit, a Sherriff told me that open carry would not be advisable due to the public overreacting to the site of an armed person. I would think someone would call the police to report “there is a guy in the Marsh store with a gun.” Has anyone who open carries have an incident where police were called and things got interesting?

Not worried about that at all, the only real worry to me is an uninformed/misinformed officer. I have had one bad interaction and it ended well, compared to many great conversations about our rights and laws. Don't worry about what others think, its your life carry how you are comfortable.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I see this post of yours right after my question above. Did I say or post something to upset or irritate you?

Typically, when you see a pointless post, Look at the number of posts the poster has posted. They are usually trying to reach that magic number of 50, But really just taking up valuable space.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Just curious if anyone who open carries is worried about public alarm and unwanted attention. I remember many years ago when I received my first carry permit, a Sherriff told me that open carry would not be advisable due to the public overreacting to the site of an armed person. I would think someone would call the police to report “there is a guy in the Marsh store with a gun.” Has anyone who open carries have an incident where police were called and things got interesting?
    There is a whole thread about what happened to one of our more notorious radical members here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lle_sued_for_violating_gun_owners_rights.html

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I have better things to worry about. I understand the question and it does happen, albeit rearely. Most people don't even notice my sidearm, let alone make the MWAG call.

Just carry. Hide it. Show it. Just carry it.;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Nope. I carry openly every single day, and my life can hardly be considered "interesting".

From my own personal experience, OC does NOT cause public alarm, does NOT draw unwanted attention, no one has ever over-reacted, and I have never been involved in an MWAG call. I've chatted with plenty of LEOs while carrying, and have never even been asked for my license. On rare occasions when a random stranger even notices, the comments have been neutral (at worst) or positive (more common).

Carrying openly is not the "Big Deal" that the anti-OCers make it out to be.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

That Sheriff was correct about one thing. (Highlighted)

And since getting rid of my wife, I am SO DONE with caring what anyone else thinks about what I do.
    Now I eat bacon and waffles every day. :yesway:

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Typically, when you see a pointless post, Look at the number of posts the poster has posted. They are usually trying to reach that magic number of 50, But really just taking up valuable space.
    Thank you citizen. I kind of figured as much. Newbie here too but, I am trying to contribute and earn my bandwidth on INGO.:n00b:

I have better things to worry about. I understand the question and it does happen, albeit rearely. Most people don't even notice my sidearm, let alone make the MWAG call.

Just carry. Hide it. Show it. Just carry it.;)

Good to know that my comparison of feeling like I am not wearing pants should go away after awhile.:laugh: Yes, I will carry.

Nope. I carry openly every single day, and my life can hardly be considered "interesting".

From my own personal experience, OC does NOT cause public alarm, does NOT draw unwanted attention, no one has ever over-reacted, and I have never been involved in an MWAG call. I've chatted with plenty of LEOs while carrying, and have never even been asked for my license. On rare occasions when a random stranger even notices, the comments have been neutral (at worst) or positive (more common).

Carrying openly is not the "Big Deal" that the anti-OCers make it out to be.

To be perfectly honest, over the years I have only noticed a hand full of people in public carry openly. So as you say no big deal, and is not as unusual as some people are led to believe.:rockwoot:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN

Just another post from a person who open carries regularly.
    It's unbelievable how much negative OC-assumption shows up on this site/thread vs what real life daily OC is actually like.
    OF COURSE, you're going to hear the bad stories pop up on here as opposed to the good ones... so don't let that fool you.

I've carried (and still do) while grocery shopping, while going to grab lunch, while heading to a friend or family members house,
    filling up at a gas station.... The number of POSITIVE reactions/conversations I've had heavily outweighs the bad. Heavily.

I can only think of one time I was harassed, and that was by an IMPD officer in line behind me at a fast food restaurant,
    and it wasn't even in a threatening manner; he was only voicing his opinion of why I'm more likely to get shot if a BG walks in. :):
    Even despite the casual 2 minute conversation, he still never asked to see my LTCH or DL. (He was just being ignorant, not concerned).

Jeff

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

CC isn't invisible. Sooner or later, someone may notice you carrying concealed. Does that mean you don't carry concealed?

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    CC isn't invisible. Sooner or later, someone may notice you carrying concealed. Does that mean you don't carry concealed?

I guess in the open is better. Reminds me of an incident a few years ago. I was sitting in line at Lake Monroe on a spring Saturday waiting to launch my boat. And when I say sitting in line this was after at least an hour working my way up to my turn. Just as I started moving into position to swing around and back up a truck comes zooming down the hill around the line with a pontoon boat and cuts me off at the ramp. Man I was pissed! I put the truck in park, proceeded to get out when the driver of the truck with the pontoon boat got out of his truck to ready the pontoon for launch. Just as I was going to open my mouth the guy threw open the side of his coat to reveal a fringing canon strapped to his belt. He just stood there leering at me so I retreated and got back in my truck and waited for him to finish. The moral to this story? If the guy launching the pontoon boat had been open Carry instead of revealing his weapon after I got out of my truck to confront him, I would have never got out of my truck or if I had I would have helped him launch his boat!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I guess in the open is better. Reminds me of an incident a few years ago. I was sitting in line at Lake Monroe on a spring Saturday waiting to launch my boat. And when I say sitting in line this was after at least an hour working my way up to my turn. Just as I started moving into position to swing around and back up a truck comes zooming down the hill around the line with a pontoon boat and cuts me off at the ramp. Man I was pissed! I put the truck in park, proceeded to get out when the driver of the truck with the pontoon boat got out of his truck to ready the pontoon for launch. Just as I was going to open my mouth the guy threw open the side of his coat to reveal a fringing canon strapped to his belt. He just stood there leering at me so I retreated and got back in my truck and waited for him to finish. The moral to this story? If the guy launching the pontoon boat had been open Carry instead of revealing his weapon after I got out of my truck to confront him, I would have never got out of my truck or if I had I would have helped him launch his boat!
    Should have shot him :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not saying one is better than the other.
    I'm just saying, carry in the way that is comfortable to you.
    Either way, you shouldn't be threatening people.
    Either way, you should be ready for peoples comments, positive or negative.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Should have reported him to the local CO (license plate and hull ID number). It is illegal to carry on Army Corp. of Engineering properties like the Monroe Reservoir.

Besides, pontoon owners are usually real jerks!:D

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

So you're arguing that you can be an inconsiderate jerk if you open carry and get away with it? That's a great way to represent the open carry side of the debate. :rolleyes:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Should have reported him to the local CO (license plate and hull ID number). It is illegal to carry on Army Corp. of Engineering properties like the Monroe Reservoir.

Wait- aside from every other factor you would turn someone in for carrying because some bureaucrat from Washington said it should be a crime?

Or are you saying for retribution for being an ******* you would use it to your advantage?

Just giving you a hard time ;)

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    So you're arguing that you can be an inconsiderate jerk if you open carry and get away with it? That's a great way to represent the open carry side of the debate. :rolleyes:

Should have shot him :twocents:

Yes, I could have reacted differently in the heat of the moment. Myself being un armed at the time, I took the most prudent action I could and retreated. My mouth is no match in a possible confrontation with a armed pissed off idiot. I agree the guy was a jerk and should not have been armed on Corps property and should have followed the rules like the rest of us. Latter I learned he worked for the place at the top of the hill had been doing this all morning with rental pontoon boats. I have to admit the guy was fast at launching. No, I am not arguing by open carry you can be a jerk and get away with it. I am suggesting sometimes that is the perception a unarmed person has in a situation like this. Have a nice day! :)

Top Bottom