• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i always wondered why someone would OC. i get it now, in a way. show of force. quite like when countries -rattle the sabre- to get the other to stand down. i get it, i really do now.
    maybe i travel in circles where i'm not at a terrible risk of walk in bank robberies or muggings. i try and avoid areas of the latter at least.
    i'm more concerned with psycho movie theater shootings and the like.
    just my .02

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    i always wondered why someone would OC. i get it now, in a way. show of force. quite like when countries -rattle the sabre- to get the other to stand down. i get it, i really do now.
    maybe i travel in circles where i'm not at a terrible risk of walk in bank robberies or muggings. i try and avoid areas of the latter at least.
    i'm more concerned with psycho movie theater shootings and the like.
    just my .02

No, sorry, you don't "get it"..

First of all, I wish I were psychic like you and could determine where and when I might need my gun for self defense, it would make things a lot easier. Me? I carry everywhere I legally can, "just in case".

Secondly, many of us OC just because it is comfortable and convenient. If I am running to the corner store, I grab my paddle holster and go..

Thirdly, there are MANY more reasons that people OC, and they are as varied as the people that carry, so, sorry, but pigeonholing OCers just doesn't work.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    im not doing so whatsoever. i carry where ever im able to. my company forbids me from carrying inside the building so i dont do so. i leave it in my truck. do i put myself at risk? absolutely. i used to work in downtown cincinnatti with a very high crime rate, with crackheads literally dragging steel bumpers down the road towards the scrap place. i made a choice that my occupation was worth more than the $400 cash and power tools we kept on hand. did i make the right choice? thats for me to decide.
    personal accountability, thats my point.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    im not doing so whatsoever. i carry where ever im able to. my company forbids me from carrying inside the building so i dont do so. i leave it in my truck. do i put myself at risk? absolutely. i used to work in downtown cincinnatti with a very high crime rate, with crackheads literally dragging steel bumpers down the road towards the scrap place. i made a choice that my occupation was worth more than the $400 cash and power tools we kept on hand. did i make the right choice? thats for me to decide.
    personal accountability, thats my point.

It is for you to decide.
    That's our point.
    You do what you want, within the law.
    So do we.
    We don't knock you for CCing.
    We hope people don't knock us for OCing.

Tauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    People, these days, are taught "do not trust anyone", heck, including themselves ("we're all capable of...") so why further raise their paranoia by open carrying. :dunno: Not unless you wish to go the Full-Monty and take it a step further, preaching and teaching about not watching television (as it is nothing more than a Liberal brainwash machine), same for movies and music, the news, print (the entire media). And then we have the Education System... If you are not doing this, I see no point in open carrying as some great stand for freedom. :patriot:

If this isn't the trip, as far as safety, if you are carrying (concealed) this is sufficient. With it being less likely that someone could get a hold of your weapon (yes, I know that it is rare, nonetheless, open makes it more possible). Another angle is to open carry in order to show the bads (:xmad:) that there is a new sheriff in town (:draw:) who is NOT taking guff from the likes of them (:n00b:). Which is ok, I suppose, though open carrying in the neighborhood could be just an open invitation for the bads to mark your home for a gun run (the preferred method of obtaining firearms for many criminals), might have the opposite result.

I'll save you the trouble:

:noway:

:D

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    People, these days, are taught "do not trust anyone", heck, including themselves ("we're all capable of...") so why further raise their paranoia by open carrying. :dunno: Not unless you wish to go the Full-Monty and take it a step further, preaching and teaching about not watching television (as it is nothing more than a Liberal brainwash machine), same for movies and music, the news, print (the entire media). And then we have the Education System... If you are not doing this, I see no point in open carrying as some great stand for freedom. :patriot:

If this isn't the trip, as far as safety, if you are carrying (concealed) this is sufficient. With it being less likely that someone could get a hold of your weapon (yes, I know that it is rare, nonetheless, open makes it more possible). Another angle is to open carry in order to show the bads (:xmad:) that there is a new sheriff in town (:draw:) who is NOT taking guff from the likes of them (:n00b:). Which is ok, I suppose, though open carrying in the neighborhood could be just an open invitation for the bads to mark your home for a gun run (the preferred method of obtaining firearms for many criminals), might have the opposite result.

LOLWUT? :dunno:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I was getting ready to translate that one, Frosty, but then I tried to do it and...oh hell no!

I'm just going to go watch some TV, maybe catch a movie, read a newspaper, listen to some music and maybe go teach a class or two.

I'll be ever alert for 5 year old girls and be sure to act like the new law man in town, too.

Are you with me?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    In principle, yes JFC but the purpose here is to defend those that do from attack by ignorant gun owners and public and also to encourage the thought that there can be benefits to OC that should be explored on a personal level yourself.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    It's sad that how someone carries a firearm is even a discussion. In a perfect world everyone shouldnt care at all. Unfortunately it's a different time. Kids and even most adults (at least in the bigger cities) are not raised near or around guns. They have no idea what to think. The media is the only knowledge some of these people have. Ignorance will never go away. Those that o c are prepared for any public scrutiny. Most people are to afraid and are never going to say anything out loud to you about it. There isn't a wrong or right way to carry. Cc is a modern way to do it, oc is old school to each his own. Maybe someday there will be a section in history class dedicated to guns. When our grandparents were kids having and using a gun was a way of life. No one in my family has a firearm accept one, my grandma. She packs a 38 special in her drawer and told me she knows now to use it. That's just how she was raised.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    This will always be a hot issue and thankfully in Indiana it doesn't matter which side of the fence your on regarding the issue. I do both, like many on here have said depends where I'm going.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Just curious if anyone who open carries is worried about public alarm and unwanted attention. I remember many years ago when I received my first carry permit, a Sherriff told me that open carry would not be advisable due to the public overreacting to the site of an armed person. I would think someone would call the police to report “there is a guy in the Marsh store with a gun.” Has anyone who open carries have an incident where police were called and things got interesting?

Top Bottom