• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I have been OCing for about a month now and have had no bad experiences and many positive ones, one of which was holster advice given to a gentleman at Speedway gas station, it really is a personal preference and neither one is wrong as long as it is comfortable and safe. That being said I do CC on occasion as well just depends on the situation. I do wear dress clothes to work so I end up looking like a detective when I OC so that may have something to do with it, either way I am comfortable with OC for now, will that change? Maybe and maybe not but none of us can decide for someone else either way. All of these what ifs are just that, if a meteor hits your house tomorrow are you going to stop living in houses? If a deer jumps in front of your car are you going to stop driving? If you have to draw from CC and get snagged are you going to change guy our carry method? If you OC and have a bad experience are you going to change carry methods? I'm sure there are yes and no answers to all those questions. It's still a personal CHOICE.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have small children that I sometimes have to pick up and carry in public so concealed carry is safer for all of us.
    I don't follow you.... How is CC safer in this situation?

I carry my little girl a bunch. Having my shirt untucked or tucked in doesn't seem to make a difference.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't follow you.... How is CC safer in this situation?

I carry my little girl a bunch. Having my shirt untucked or tucked in doesn't seem to make a difference.

The only difference I have noticed in OC or CC around children is whether they step away after a hug rubbing their foreheads or not. Nothing like giving an aggressive hug and thumping ones forehead on a pistol that you did not know was there...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The only difference I have noticed in OC or CC around children is whether they step away after a hug rubbing their foreheads or not. Nothing like giving an aggressive hug and thumping ones forehead on a pistol that you did not know was there...

I sense a penn state/Sandusky joke in there somewhere...

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

Been there, done that. My kids have the red marks to prove it. :):

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My wife and I both carry our 6 month old and both OC while we do it do your going to have to explain that one to me...

What a coincidence that you guys both have 6 month olds. :dunno:
    I guess you'd have to OC those kids or they'd be under your shirts.

I remember those days. :n00b: However, consider this... an OC gun makes a great shelf to rest the baby on to take the strain off your back. :D

Absolutely right. Kids get heavy and an OC shelf is much easier to prop them up on than a CC shelf. Just got to tighten that belt. (or eat a china buffet)

This is another reason to OC - Do it for the Children - So they won't bump their heads.
    My kids have the same complaint when I CC. I'd swear I saw the serrated slide imprint on my daughter head once. They are learning though, If they can't see a gun, they do a "pat down" on me to make sure of where it is.
    (kinda cute):n00b:

Last edited:

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I've been told that CC is the only way to go but recently I've been more OC. This essay has pretty much got me turned completely on OC.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've been told that CC is the only way to go but recently I've been more OC. This essay has pretty much got me turned completely on OC.

I still find it amazing that so many of those who pass on this opinion (the bolded part above) and cling to it so fiercely never even bothered to scrutinize the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind it.

Regardless, glad to see that you considered the subject matter for yourself and determined that there are indeed other, reasonable "ways to go". :yesway:

todkapuz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Carmel, IN
    I still find it amazing that so many of those who pass on this opinion (the bolded part above) and cling to it so fiercely never even bothered to scrutinize the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind it.

Regardless, glad to see that you considered the subject matter for yourself and determined that there are indeed other, reasonable "ways to go". :yesway:

In Texas Concealed Carry was the only "way to go" ... open carry could lead to a nice trip downtown if not on private land with permission. Even 'printing' by a CHL could be considered open carry. But as the only way, and the training required, it just gets drilled in your head all the reasons "for it". (Primarily the Texas education is on the 'element of surprise' factor and the 'anyone could have a gun' factor.

I personally can see both sides. I hated to carry in Texas, because it felt like any small slip-up could turn a law-abiding citizen into a criminal (just doesnt seem right). Actually why I joined the forum was because of seeing video of OC in Indiana. I'm glad there is a choice here, and one can make up their own mind. Just wish I saw more of it, so I'd know how people would react here. (As I never have, and usually am not the attention type.)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I'm glad there is a choice here, and one can make up their own mind. Just wish I saw more of it, so I'd know how people would react here. (As I never have, and usually am not the attention type.)

Agreed. I hate when legislators, thinking they know best, restrict the right of the citizens to choose for themselves.

Skim through this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elf_defense/34140-where_did_you_oc_today.html

You'll find that negative issues associated with open carry in Indiana are extremely rare.
    Simply knowing the law helps to turn even the rare interactions that do occur into positive learning experiences for those who are unaware or curious.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Agreed. I hate when legislators, thinking they know best, restrict the right of the citizens to choose for themselves.

Skim through this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elf_defense/34140-where_did_you_oc_today.html

You'll find that negative issues associated with open carry in Indiana are extremely rare.
    Simply knowing the law helps to turn even the rare interactions that do occur into positive learning experiences for those who are unaware or curious.

100% true. More people will likely talk to you if you seem friendly, but random strangers just tend to talk to me. Now its usually about guns instead of the weather so thats a big +1.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Just to get my two cents in. OC or CC, who cares. Just exercise your right to carry and carry how you're comfortable carrying. I usually OC but with winter coming around it's a little hard to OC without using a leg drop holster or freezing your butt off by not wearing a coat. The only time I CC is at work because I'm required to carry that way if I wish to carry there or if I MUST goto a place that isn't gun friendly.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia

You'll find negative issues associated with open carry in Indiana are usually caused by something I said. When in doubt I defer to Hayseed.

Agreed again with ATM.:):

Top Bottom