• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Thank you Rhino, for your very articulate OP, and thank you ATM for putting it in it's own thread with a sticky.

As a newcomer to the Licensed Carry community I've given quite a bit of thought to this myself.

I happen to Share Rhino's position that OC makes a much more effective deterrent than CC, but I still waffle on the issue because I don't want to cause undue alarm by being obviously armed. It's nice to hear Rhino's personal experience as someone who Carries openly has been more positive than negative.

While I agree with many of the other posters who have stated that cc or oc depends on where you are going, I find myself leaning towards OC so I can be another example of someone who caries responsibly.

Thanks-

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thank you Rhino, for your very articulate OP, and thank you ATM for putting it in it's own thread with a sticky.

As a newcomer to the Licensed Carry community I've given quite a bit of thought to this myself.

I happen to Share Rhino's position that OC makes a much more effective deterrent than CC, but I still waffle on the issue because I don't want to cause undue alarm by being obviously armed. It's nice to hear Rhino's personal experience as someone who Carries openly has been more positive than negative.

While I agree with many of the other posters who have stated that cc or oc depends on where you are going, I find myself leaning towards OC so I can be another example of someone who caries responsibly.

Thanks-

:yesway:

I suggest you read and familiarize yourself with IC 35-41-3 Defenses Relating to Culpability, IC 35-47-2 Regulation of Handguns,IC 35-47-11.1 Local Regulation of Firearms, Ammunition, and Firearm Accessories, and IC 35-47-14 Proceedings for the Seizure and Retention of a Firearm. Or take a course on Indiana firearms law.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Thanks-

Hi, EPeter213:

Welcome to INGO!

I had to go back and see what I wrote to which you referred. If you're talking about the piece that ATM quoted in his first message, I cannot take any credit for it because I did not write it. The first time I saw it was after ATM called it to our attention.

If it was some of my messages I wrote in this topic, then I'm glad you found them agreeable!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Thanks-

I know that it can be difficult to follow things I call to INGO's attention after they get past 1000 posts, but it's generally worth the effort in hindsight.

If you choose not to, you really might miss a lot. ;)

Welcome to INGO, EPeter213 - is that a biblical reference by any chance?

That passage, 1Peter2:13 (-17), is a bit of a challenge for me, almost mysteriously so, in searching out the proper and intended application. I'm currently trying to figure out how to accomplish it as I go.

Yes, all of it.

So, thanks for that connection, friend, intentional or not. :yesway:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    thanks for the welcome, ATM. as it happens, EPeter213 is just an old email address, but I looked up the verse, and it fits.

I guess Rhino just made a good impression as I was reading the thread. :cool:

I will admit it's a tad intimidating how much information is out there in the INGO forums, but it's defininately worthwhile ( and entertaining!) to dig through them. I look forward to participating more once I do some more digging.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    :yesway:

I suggest you read and familiarize yourself with IC 35-41-3 Defenses Relating to Culpability, IC 35-47-2 Regulation of Handguns,IC 35-47-11.1 Local Regulation of Firearms, Ammunition, and Firearm Accessories, and IC 35-47-14 Proceedings for the Seizure and Retention of a Firearm. Or take a course on Indiana firearms law.

Thanks for the reading suggestion, Blue falcon.

I'm trying to make sure I perform all of the due dilligence so that once I do decide to daily carry, it will be as a safe and responsible example. Not sure I can make time for a law course, but I am planning on taking at least one Concealed carry course before DC.

...and if the blue in your tag indicates a uniform, thank you.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

Thanks-

No one can control the irrational fear people have, but 99% of the time, no one notices when you OC. ;)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    In a couple months it will be 8 years since I found INGO. I was 42, and had never owned a gun. I decided that I wanted to be able protect my family. I read INGO for a few weeks, asked questions, read, researched and finally bought my first handgun. I found the NRA Basic Pistol Class through INGO, later I found the MDFI Handgun 1 class. Long story short, I went from owning one handgun and my wife saying "you will only ever have ONE gun in this HOUSE!!" to owning 2 handguns, 2 ARs(that I built from the generosity and help of INGOers, and my wife owning her own .22 pistol.

Now, I am proudly one of INGOs Moderators, and our Advertising Contact. I have had the opportunity to fire multiple firearms, NFA Firearms, WWI and WWII firearms, etc.. and have made many friends.

Long story short, I hope you find INGO to be the great resource that I did while you start your journey. Congrats, and welcome to the club :)

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    In a couple months it will be 8 years since I found INGO. I was 42, and had never owned a gun. I decided that I wanted to be able protect my family. I read INGO for a few weeks, asked questions, read, researched and finally bought my first handgun. I found the NRA Basic Pistol Class through INGO, later I found the MDFI Handgun 1 class. Long story short, I went from owning one handgun and my wife saying "you will only ever have ONE gun in this HOUSE!!" to owning 2 handguns, 2 ARs(that I built from the generosity and help of INGOers, and my wife owning her own .22 pistol.

Now, I am proudly one of INGOs Moderators, and our Advertising Contact. I have had the opportunity to fire multiple firearms, NFA Firearms, WWI and WWII firearms, etc.. and have made many friends.

Long story short, I hope you find INGO to be the great resource that I did while you start your journey. Congrats, and welcome to the club :)

What Rookie said.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC

That passage, 1Peter2:13 (-17), is a bit of a challenge for me, almost mysteriously so, in searching out the proper and intended application. I'm currently trying to figure out how to accomplish it as I go.

From a recent devotion:
    Now we believe. But Jesus asks, "Do you...? Indeed the hour is coming...that you ...will leave Me alone." Many Christian workers have left Jesus Christ alone and yet tried to serve Him out of a sense of duty, or because they sense a need as a result of their own discernment. The reason for this is actually the absence of the resurrection life of Jesus. Our soul has gotten out of intimate contact with God by leaning on our own religious understanding. It is far better to habitually seek His counsel on everything, instead of making our own commonsense decisions and then asking Him to bless them. When we do something out of a sense of duty it is easy to explain the reasons of our actions to others. But when we do something out of obedience to the Lord, there can be no other explanation. Just obedience.

What a wonderfully thought provoking post. Thank you for your sincerity.

Enough of that. I carry concealed. I carry ALWAYS concealed. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. I won't condemn someone for open carry but I believe it puts you at a tactical disadvantage whereas being concealed allows for an individual to become a momentary target, Col Cooper covered this base with his colorful codes. Live in yellow and the target is hardened without displaying a firearm. You MUST be vigilant to avoid being a victim but remember that nothing is a guarantee so be prepared for the moment things go awry as well. Be polite, be courteous but have a plan to kill everyone you meet said another smart man.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Enough of that. I carry concealed. I carry ALWAYS concealed. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. I won't condemn someone for open carry but I believe it puts you at a tactical disadvantage whereas being concealed allows for an individual to become a momentary target, Col Cooper covered this base with his colorful codes. Live in yellow and the target is hardened without displaying a firearm. You MUST be vigilant to avoid being a victim but remember that nothing is a guarantee so be prepared for the moment things go awry as well. Be polite, be courteous but have a plan to kill everyone you meet said another smart man.

I'm *still* waiting for someone to produce any shred of evidence of this alleged "tactical disadvantage" of open carry.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That's not the tactical disadvantage of OC, that's the tactical disadvantage of a lack of Situational Awareness. Case in point, your 2nd example is of a CONCEALED Carrier..
    Millions of people OC, if it were a disadvantage, in and of itself, you would find more than a handful of supposed examples

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

From a recent devotion:
    Now we believe. But Jesus asks, "Do you...? Indeed the hour is coming...that you ...will leave Me alone." Many Christian workers have left Jesus Christ alone and yet tried to serve Him out of a sense of duty, or because they sense a need as a result of their own discernment. The reason for this is actually the absence of the resurrection life of Jesus. Our soul has gotten out of intimate contact with God by leaning on our own religious understanding. It is far better to habitually seek His counsel on everything, instead of making our own commonsense decisions and then asking Him to bless them. When we do something out of a sense of duty it is easy to explain the reasons of our actions to others. But when we do something out of obedience to the Lord, there can be no other explanation. Just obedience.

What a wonderfully thought provoking post. Thank you for your sincerity...

What a wonderfully thought provoking response! Thank you for that!

...What makes a Terrorist so hard to find and kill? He doesn't advertise as a target.

Should I choose to Terrorize, I would, of course, adopt the best tactics to achieve the goals of a Terrorist.

Do you have sound reasoning for anyone else to adopt them?

Just food for thought, my new friend. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am not advocating for/against OC/CC.

I am pointing out many of the reasons against OC, also work against CC.
    So if you're pointing out how stupid it is, you're kinda pointing out how stupid the other is.

Top Bottom