• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    DISCLAIMER: I CARRY OPENLY. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

I did find a news story about an OC getting his gun stolen, here it is:

Guy with the gun robbed of his gun, because he had one. Was the robber afraid? Don't think so. - YouTube

Instances like this (and OCers being targeted) are so rare I'll continue to "take my chances". I'm absolutely certain many more violent crimes are prevented (in an undocumentable way) by OCing and I would say my odds of my OCing thwarting a potential violent attack FAR outweigh my odds of being targeted or having my sidearm stolen.

To each his own, though. JUST CARRY!

And CC guy got his firearm robbed from him...

Conceal And Carry Holder Robbed With His Own Gun « CBS Minnesota

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    DISCLAIMER: I CARRY OPENLY. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

I did find a news story about an OC getting his gun stolen, here it is:

Guy with the gun robbed of his gun, because he had one. Was the robber afraid? Don't think so. - YouTube

Instances like this (and OCers being targeted) are so rare I'll continue to "take my chances". I'm absolutely certain many more violent crimes are prevented (in an undocumentable way) by OCing and I would say my odds of my OCing thwarting a potential violent attack FAR outweigh my odds of being targeted or having my sidearm stolen.

To each his own, though. JUST CARRY!

Yeah, you've got to take note of what the reporter says at 1:10. "The victim told me over the phone that he carries because he has been jumped and robbed at knifepoint in the past."

If he was targeted this time because he was OCing, then he was targeted last time because he wasn't OCing.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, you've got to take note of what the reporter says at 1:10. "The victim told me over the phone that he carries because he has been jumped and robbed at knifepoint in the past."

If he was targeted this time because he was OCing, then he was targeted last time because he wasn't OCing.
    Darn you with facts and logic!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    open carry just causes issues. Plus who do you think is the first target if something goes down and they see your gun first

3898460-8864152835-_zps0a54256a.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Looks like some would take your gun, even if CC'd.

Of course

“The public tends to not like seeing people carrying guns openly in public places and they call the police, usually not realizing that it’s actually legal in most places,” Cutilletta said. “If they knew that people were carrying and they just can’t see it, they would be equally disturbed by that.”

My response to that is they should be intrigued instead of disturbed. When they find out they pass people daily with guns and they never had an issue they should realize normal people with guns is not a bad thing at all.

--------------------

Now for my weigh in on the subject:

First off I conceal carry, except at home. I support those who choose both methods.

I do not like to draw attention to myself for any reason. Having a visible gun will, in today's climate, draw attention to yourself. I'm also fully aware that people have unjustifiable fears of guns and I'm not out to scare or worry them in public. However, it is not the responsibility for someone carrying to oblige to others fears.

Also, I like to keep my gun on me wherever I go that is legal. If you conceal you have a much lesser risk of being asked to leave an establishment due to having a gun. If you open carry you have to accept the fact that you will be asked to leave places over your gun. Choosing not to go places that don't allow you to open carry is an option but overall hard to stick to in my opinion.

I do not really believe you have much of a risk of being shot first or having your gun stolen if you open carry over conceal. The risk for both is probably slightly higher for open carry but not by much at all. I do not believe either method really provides any tactical advantage.

Last edited:

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Of course

My response to that is they should be intrigued instead of disturbed. When they find out they pass people daily with guns and they never had an issue they should realize normal people with guns is not a bad thing at all.

--------------------

Now for my weigh in on the subject:

First off I conceal carry, except at home. I support those who choose both methods.

I do not like to draw attention to myself for any reason. Having a visible gun will, in today's climate, draw attention to yourself. I'm also fully aware that people have unjustifiable fears of guns and I'm not out to scare or worry them in public. However, it is not the responsibility for someone carrying to oblige to others fears.

Also, I like to keep my gun on me wherever I go that is legal. If you conceal you have a much lesser risk of being asked to leave an establishment due to having a gun. If you open carry you have to accept the fact that you will be asked to leave places over your gun. Choosing not to go places that don't allow you to open carry is an option but overall hard to stick to in my opinion.

I do not really believe you have much of a risk of being shot first or having your gun stolen if you open carry over conceal. The risk for both is probably slightly higher for open carry but not by much at all. I do not believe either method really provides any tactical advantage.

Did you read the OP? Most people don't notice OC because people are so into their own little world rather than keep the eyes opened.

How often have OCers been targeted vs CCers?

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Nice essay. I OC and CC prob 50/50. when I OC I do get a lot of looks. Several coworkers and I goto lunch on Fridays, we call it OC Friday. One day a older man asked if we thought we were going to war.... None the less, I OC a lot.

thanks for the post

Top Bottom