Not open for further replies.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I think there is a guy learning to ride a motorcycle in my neighborhood. And 80's kaw or suz keeps doing laps around the block.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you lost the planetary's you may want to consider a rebuilt off the shelf trans. When those gear sets pop they send shrapnel all through the trans.
    You most likely drove the truck like you loved it. Not saying the boy did not but a change of steady drivers can bring out some issues. I am sure he misses the power available in the car he got out of.

He claims he never went over 60 with it and I tend to believe him as he had some issues earlier in his life that led to high risk insurance and he understands that tickets could leave him walking and uninsurable! We have two local places/people that we were going to talk to about the best option for replacing it or rebuilding it....if that is not going to be too expensive. I hate to do it, but it sounds like we may be taking him my truck tomorrow to borrow for the week to give us more time to explore our options. Car rentals are insanely expensive for a 21 year old so that is not an option. I guess we will wait until we can find a car carrier available and then go back to get the Jimmy and drag it home. We may end up junking the Jimmy and his car and putting whatever we get out of them toward something else. I really need to just go back to bed and start over I think!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I recommend a smaller mom and pop rental place for the tow dolly. I've experienced the same problems you posted earlier and a small mom and pop place solved it for me. All they cared about was the rental fee and my agreement to be responsible for any damage. I can live with that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He claims he never went over 60 with it and I tend to believe him as he had some issues earlier in his life that led to high risk insurance and he understands that tickets could leave him walking and uninsurable! We have two local places/people that we were going to talk to about the best option for replacing it or rebuilding it....if that is not going to be too expensive. I hate to do it, but it sounds like we may be taking him my truck tomorrow to borrow for the week to give us more time to explore our options. Car rentals are insanely expensive for a 21 year old so that is not an option. I guess we will wait until we can find a car carrier available and then go back to get the Jimmy and drag it home. We may end up junking the Jimmy and his car and putting whatever we get out of them toward something else. I really need to just go back to bed and start over I think!

Terminal speed does not have a lot of effect on the planetary's. Acceleration and towing does. If the trans runs low on fluid it can burn them up. Metric 200 trans is not a tough one to begin with. Not putting blame on the son. These issues show at or around 90 K in those trucks.
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Terminal speed does not have a lot of effect on the planetary's. Acceleration and towing does. If the trans runs low on fluid it can burn them up. Metric 200 trans is not a tough one to begin with. Not putting blame on the son. These issues show at or around 90 K in those trucks.
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

Everything I was reading last night was showing that they typically do this once they hit 140,000 or more...mine is just under 160,000 so I'm not going to blame it on him...just chalking it up to really poor timing! This too shall pass....that's what I keep telling myself!

Will have to see if I can find someplace else to rent a dolly or car carrier...wasn't getting much to come up when searching online.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    About a million dirty dishes and a ton of other housework. That's what I had to do today because my wife is working. It just wasn't right to leave it all for her. My son gave me a hand so that took some of the load off. I gotta admit though, I am NOT very good at this. I'd rather be destroying my back digging a ditch.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    About a million dirty dishes and a ton of other housework. That's what I had to do today because my wife is working. It just wasn't right to leave it all for her. My son gave me a hand so that took some of the load off. I gotta admit though, I am NOT very good at this. I'd rather be destroying my back digging a ditch.

Good job!

My wife told me the other day I make a good house-husband...not sure if that was a compliment or not...good thing I'm going to the range today to renew my man card.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good job!

My wife told me the other day I make a good house-husband...not sure if that was a compliment or not...good thing I'm going to the range today to renew my man card.

I will have the man card committee on hand the stamp your card. You need a witness.

I help the wife a lot in the house. I do not touch the new washer/dryer combo. They are far smarter than I am.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I will have the man card committee on hand the stamp your card. You need a witness.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I help the wife a lot in the house. I do not touch the new washer/dryer combo. They are far smarter than I am.

I do my own laundry and she does her own. I cook at least 3 or 4 nights a week and do the dishes (load/unload the dishwasher) and that is about it. Any further cleaning I have to be specifically asked to do it.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've tried to help out more since my wife started working. I won't even try to claim to be pulling my weight though. That woman is amazing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom