• Status
    Not open for further replies.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Yeah, I like AMD. Sovereign was an AMD and I was happy with it, but the Haswell chip stomps anything AMD has on the market right now. Since I plan to have this thing for at least three more years, I want it as juicy as I can afford to get it. Also, I want the Intel virtualization extensions in it for compatibility with some of the things I'm doing at work.
    I built my rig when the AMD phenom quad 4 came out. The only thing I have done to it since then is upgrade the video card.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I built my rig when the AMD phenom quad 4 came out. The only thing I have done to it since then is upgrade the video card.

Sovereign was a Socket939 Athlon 64. It was fine at the time, but I hit the limitations of the processor and the board pretty quickly. When I started getting into virtualization heavily, the 4GB max on the board crippled me severely. Not to mention, 4GB these days just for a plain desktop isn't anywhere near enough. The new one will build with 16GB with two free slots so I can bump it to 32 when I can save up another $200.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm considering dropping to Liability only on everything that is paid off. Have no choice on the new truck.

It is quite a bit cheaper for us to have just liability on our vehicles so that's what we do.

Sorry to hear about your wife...hope she feels better soon!

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Sovereign was a Socket939 Athlon 64. It was fine at the time, but I hit the limitations of the processor and the board pretty quickly. When I started getting into virtualization heavily, the 4GB max on the board crippled me severely. Not to mention, 4GB these days just for a plain desktop isn't anywhere near enough. The new one will build with 16GB with two free slots so I can bump it to 32 when I can save up another $200.

All this computer talk and I'm Jonesin' to build a new rig.

I'm at my limit with my board. 8gb ram isn't enough when I fire photoshop and do some heavy graphics. I imagine I'll build a new one this summer.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    All this computer talk and I'm Jonesin' to build a new rig.

I'm at my limit with my board. 8gb ram isn't enough when I fire photoshop and do some heavy graphics. I imagine I'll build a new one this summer.

I was looking at boards that would take 64GB and more, but they got expensive really fast. I'm already over-budget as it is. I'm going to be recycling everything but the board, chip, and memory from the old computer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom