mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I get so tired of reading labels on canned goods....so much of it comes from outside of the US. Canned mushrooms are the worst.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't read anything

I know I should. MY boys eat anything, as long as it can heat in the microwave and I try my best to cook cook meals when I am home

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I used to can a lot of stuff from the garden when the kids were still home but haven't done it much the past few years. We learned way too much about how food is grown when we had our orchard. We couldn't do organic and have a product that people would buy but we never used any restricted use chemicals so were close to organic. The certification process was pretty crazy so I never pursued that. Some of what we used was allowed for organics, which surprised me.

Between that and the things I learned in that period of our lives and hubby's heart issues, I became much more aware of what was in our food. The sodium in boxed foods such as rice mixes, soups, etc. is outrageous. I always cooked most things from scratch but do it even more now.

It is very rare that I buy meat from the store. A turkey or two each year is about it. Beef, pork and chicken all come from family who raise them. Hubby brings me plenty of fish for the freezer.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I used to can a lot of stuff from the garden when the kids were still home but haven't done it much the past few years. We learned way too much about how food is grown when we had our orchard. We couldn't do organic and have a product that people would buy but we never used any restricted use chemicals so were close to organic. The certification process was pretty crazy so I never pursued that. Some of what we used was allowed for organics, which surprised me.

Between that and the things I learned in that period of our lives and hubby's heart issues, I became much more aware of what was in our food. The sodium in boxed foods such as rice mixes, soups, etc. is outrageous. I always cooked most things from scratch but do it even more now.

It is very rare that I buy meat from the store. A turkey or two each year is about it. Beef, pork and chicken all come from family who raise them. Hubby brings me plenty of fish for the freezer.

You are correct about what it takes to get land certified organic. I have 18 acres that surrounds the property the house sits on that is certified. My farmer jumps through alot of hoops to maintain the land. Most years we grow organic blue corn.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom