Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    :wavey: I just bought a fire extinguisher!

RnR's recent fiasco got me thinking about fire safety and I realized that we didn't even have a fire extinguisher! This is extra stupid since I often use the "fire extinguisher analogy" when people ask me why I carry a gun!! :n00b:

I keep a couple around, you just never know.

We had to use ours for the first time a couple of weeks ago when the heat lamp nearly burned the barn down. I dropped it off the other day to be recharged when they come around to the fire station to do them the next time. I have another one here but am thinking about buying one more. We keep one by the wood stove and one in the shop where hubby welds and stuff, but an extra probably is a good idea with all the wood stoves. We have two stoves in the house and two outside in his shops.

My wife's grandfather gave us one for Christmas since we got our first house in November. Needless to say it was an excellent gift and I'm glad we have it because I'd not have thought about having one until we needed it.

Looking at getting a couple more to keep around the house - kitchen, garage, and probably up stairs just in case.

I have a small one by my computer desk.
    Medium in the kitchen. Away from the stove so I can get to it in event of stove fire.
    And large one in the garage.

Think of the likely sources of fire.
    Make sure extinguishers are not blocked by a fire. For instance, reaching past the stove on fire.

You might say submarine service taught me well.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, the one we have is stored in a location not likely to see fire - if that location IS on fire we have bigger problems that an extinguisher won't solve.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What is everybody up to tonight? Thinking about cracking open the tequila.

I'm dreading the weather for tomorrow. I was sure hoping the snow was over for the season. Positive thinking, I know, but I was hoping!

My son now has my truck since we had to run to Camby Sunday and get the Jimmy back. He only had it a week and the transmission went out. Hubby already pulled it and took it to be rebuilt so my son has my truck until the Jimmy is fixed. I hate driving that truck in snow and since he is not used to it, mom is sitting here worrying about how he's going to do tomorrow if school isn't cancelled and he has to drive to Indy in it. He assures me he will be fine so I am praying he is right. Daughter is working overnight tonight and said she will also let me know when she gets home in the morning. When my kids were little, I figured I would quit worrying about them when they became adults. I was wrong...it's just a new kind of worries.

I'm supposed to be taking the new/stray cat to be neutered at 6 in the morning so we'll see if the roads here allow him to keep his appointment, assuming I can find him. He apparently goes out catting around at night and with the time change, has been showing up later for his breakfast. If it is going to be as bad as they are saying, I may just reschedule him for next week.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The snow should be pretty light between here and Indy - honestly - so long as he has some sense about him you have nothing to worry about. It's everybody else you should be worried about.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a small one by my computer desk.
    Medium in the kitchen. Away from the stove so I can get to it in event of stove fire.
    And large one in the garage.

Think of the likely sources of fire.
    Make sure extinguishers are not blocked by a fire. For instance, reaching past the stove on fire.

You might say submarine service taught me well.

I always think about that with the wood stoves. I don't want them right next to the stove but also don't want to be blocked from reaching it. We also made sure we had plenty of good fire exits when we built our house. Exterior doors in the basement, front and back and BIG windows that are only a foot above the porch floor in case we can't get to a door. I never thought much about fires until after we had a couple of neighbors lose their homes to fires and then my cousin lost her home and a child. A couple years later, my husband's cousin lost his home to a fire and nearly died trying to get "things" out of it! He ran back in for his medication or keys or something and ended up in a burn unit for two months, sedated for the first 6 weeks. I now fully understand that fires can happen to anyone no matter how safe you think you are.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The snow should be pretty light between here and Indy - honestly - so long as he has some sense about him you have nothing to worry about. It's everybody else you should be worried about.

I was seeing ice for your area too so I'm hoping that is wrong. He is pretty good and I usually don't worry about him. I just feel like the past several days have been a run of bad luck for us...first the transmission going out and then some medical things with my husband (that I hope aren't serious but still waiting for the doctor to call to schedule his colonoscopy). I hate when situations occur that I can't control. The truck needs better tires on it but since it was our "spare" vehicle that we normally don't drive much, we just hadn't gotten around to putting them on it yet. Between that and no weight in the back end, it seriously sucks on snow and/or ice.

I'll feel better when he texts me to let me know he is back in Camby. He works at Walmart and lives in the apartments right behind the Meijer gas station so once he is at work, I know he can make it home! He had to walk to work Saturday and Sunday until we got the truck down to him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom