• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Plus you get the satisfaction of getting down and greasy. I do my own work unless it involves reading something highly technical, then I give my landlord some beer and have him do it. :)
    Getting greasy doesn't matter much to me - I help my friends with their cars and stuff - did an engine swap in a '67 mustang recently.

I've just not got much experience where it's just me and I don't have somebody there to advise me if I have a question but Google is a wonderful thing!

I did re-do the PVC for my sump pump a few weeks ago :).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Going to start doing my own oil changes on all 3 vehicles.

I make enough money and my time is so scarce that I've always had the mindset, 'I'll pay those that are good at the job, to do the job, while I allocate my important time elsewhere.' I realized after a while that sitting ~1 hour at the dealer wastes more of my time than doing it myself in ~15 minutes.

Ordered the stuff off Amazon - have a prime account so it saves me the ~$3 in gas it would cost me to drive to the auto parts store... 13 MPG is no joke :).

We roll through all 3 vehicles in the same day or weekend if we can.....rotate tires spring and fall. Tune ups, belt changes and most all maint except exhaust. Put wheel bearing on the front of the 4WD GMC recently.
    Stay with it, get the tools.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Getting greasy doesn't matter much to me - I help my friends with their cars and stuff - did an engine swap in a '67 mustang recently.

I've just not got much experience where it's just me and I don't have somebody there to advise me if I have a question but Google is a wonderful thing!

I did re-do the PVC for my sump pump a few weeks ago :).

Satisfaction of taking care of a problem with you own two hands.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    We roll through all 3 vehicles in the same day or weekend if we can.....rotate tires spring and fall. Tune ups, belt changes and most all maint except exhaust. Put wheel bearing on the front of the 4WD GMC recently.
    Stay with it, get the tools.

What he said.
    YouTube videos are good for reference.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Satisfaction of taking care of a problem with you own two hands.
    Admittedly I did the PVC 3 times [total cost was like... $60 including the tools/adhesive/primer/etc]. I now have a solid understanding of how to properly assemble something out of PVC which is a plus :).

If I had to do it again - I could do it for ~$10 probably.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I saw John Couger open up for the Kinks in Indy a year or so before he made it big. Both were kick ass and I was impressed with mellencamps show.
    Mellancamp in the Bluebird, unannounced. Best show I ever saw. No crowd, he rocks, just can't handle his politics.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    My favorite concert was Frank Zappa. That was great. Before I die (or before he dies) I want to see Neil Young. Widespread Panic is another one I want to see.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Admittedly I did the PVC 3 times [total cost was like... $60 including the tools/adhesive/primer/etc]. I now have a solid understanding of how to properly assemble something out of PVC which is a plus :).

If I had to do it again - I could do it for ~$10 probably.

Best way to learn is having it cost more money than it should. Makes you do a little homework before you dive into it :D

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Best way to learn is having it cost more money than it should. Makes you do a little homework before you dive into it :D
    First time around - I only primed the fittings and not the pipes - let's just say I had some leaks... and I had a joint that came completely apart [under pressure, while pumping]... I knew I was supposed to prime both - but for some reason... I forgot.

I went from dry to soaked in about 0.00032 seconds.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    First time around - I only primed the fittings and not the pipes - let's just say I had some leaks... and I had a joint that came completely apart [under pressure, while pumping]... I knew I was supposed to prime both - but for some reason... I forgot.

I went from dry to soaked in about 0.00032 seconds.

I think anyone that has done PVC has had that happen to them .

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom