Not open for further replies.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Are you talking about the truck door?
    No. Driver seat in the truck feels loose and makes a popping sound if you apply any force to the seat back. Can sometimes feel it while driving such as in slightly heavier than normal acceleration. It's loud enough that I was able to record the sound of it popping by sitting my phone on the center console and pushing on the seat back - about enough force as would be applied if I was taking my phone out of my pocket while seated.
    [video=youtube;flKjfPUPLk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKjfPUPLk4[/video]

There's nothing to *see* but if you listen to that video [short, only a few seconds] you can hear the popping sound that almost sounds like thick metal flexing. The louder of the two sounds is the force being applied and the quieter of the two is the pressure being removed. The passenger seat, which is manual, is rock solid and does not do this. I checked the seats in my other 2 vehicles [a 2003 Envoy with power seats, a 2006 Lancer with manual seats] and neither of them exhibit this behavior.

Had the wife sit in the seat and apply the pressure while I looked under - seat is fastened to the floor nice and solid and it looks like there's maybe 1/8" play in the power seat tracks. This seems like a normal amount of play [the Envoy has some play too] but the sound doesn't seem normal [Envoy is quiet].

I want so badly for this not to bother me but now that I know it does this I'd be constantly on the look-out for it. Posted on TundraTalk.net about it to see if others with '14 Tundras with power seats have the same issue [i.e. if it's 'normal'] or if something is wrong with my seat.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    No. Driver seat in the truck feels loose and makes a popping sound if you apply any force to the seat back. Can sometimes feel it while driving such as in slightly heavier than normal acceleration. It's loud enough that I was able to record the sound of it popping by sitting my phone on the center console and pushing on the seat back - about enough force as would be applied if I was taking my phone out of my pocket while seated.
    [video=youtube;flKjfPUPLk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKjfPUPLk4[/video]

There's nothing to *see* but if you listen to that video [short, only a few seconds] you can hear the popping sound that almost sounds like thick metal flexing. The louder of the two sounds is the force being applied and the quieter of the two is the pressure being removed. The passenger seat, which is manual, is rock solid and does not do this. I checked the seats in my other 2 vehicles [a 2003 Envoy with power seats, a 2006 Lancer with manual seats] and neither of them exhibit this behavior.

Had the wife sit in the seat and apply the pressure while I looked under - seat is fastened to the floor nice and solid and it looks like there's maybe 1/8" play in the power seat tracks. This seems like a normal amount of play [the Envoy has some play too] but the sound doesn't seem normal [Envoy is quiet].

I want so badly for this not to bother me but now that I know it does this I'd be constantly on the look-out for it. Posted on TundraTalk.net about it to see if others with '14 Tundras with power seats have the same issue [i.e. if it's 'normal'] or if something is wrong with my seat.

Turn the radio up?
    Granted, this is coming from a guy with a 1987 Suzuki samurai, he drives on a regular basis...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Did you get your truck back Mom45???

I did! It came home on Saturday. They got a truck from a family member and my husband put new brake lines on it for them front to back. They may need to get a mass air flow sensor as their service engine light came on and that was the code showing. Hubby cleared it and told them if it comes back on, they probably will need to get that changed. I'm glad mine is back home. I don't mind helping a neighbor, but it makes me really nervous with their driving history cause he has wrecked the one that was just repoed 6 times in the last four years.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Turn the radio up?
    Granted, this is coming from a guy with a 1987 Suzuki samurai, he drives on a regular basis...
    To be honest the largest concerns I have is that the seat is a part of the restraint system and has SRS airbags. Beyond that - the sound isn't what bothers me - it's being able to feel it in the seat when it happens. No matter how loud the radio is - I can feel it.

So long as it's not a safety issue - I can live with it [it's a truck and not a high-end ride-on-a-cloud luxury SUV] but would prefer it not to have slop in the seat with me having owned it only 1.5 months.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom