• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Generator gassed up and running - should be good for 10~12 hours while I sleep. Fire is going good in the fireplace. Moved the mattress into the living room opposite the fireplace and have a heating blanket on the bed as well as a small space heater going.

Picked up and filled up 3 five gallon gas cans - filled the generator [7.2 gallons] and then refilled the two gas cans. Have enough fuel to run for 24~48 hours depending on load.

Should be able to make it through this until the power is back on thankfully. Took my son to my mom's house because I know he would be super fussy due to it being chilly in here [it's not freezing anymore, but not hot either].

As long as you guys are ok. Good call on taking the little one elsewhere!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If ya need a warm place Mike our house is warm
    Warm enough for now - but the wood we have is SUPER dry so it's burning REALLY fast.

Also - our fireplace isn't properly vented so a LOT of the heat is going up the flue but I can't exactly 'add' a vent without extensive work to the fireplace - the radiant heat should be enough for this.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Good thing I thought to check the sump pit - it was getting a bit high mostly from snow melting away around the foundation from the basement heat.

The sump line was frozen solid because there was a section where it increased in elevation and then decreased again - i.e. the water sat in the line and froze.

Had to cut it off at the house with the saw to get it to be able to pump and then stuck an extension on it temporarily until I can get down to the store tomorrow and get some new/fresh PVC to do it right. I'll probably use a temporary union joint to lay the line now and then when it's warm and I can dig a trench and actually run it down to the end of the hill with a good slope so it will never freeze up [within theory]. Going to still get one of those 'ice guard' contraptions to put up near the house just in case the line DOES freeze so at least I don't end up with standing water in the pit that the sump can't pump and/or burning out the sump with it running continually against a frozen line.

Also plan on installing a battery back-up sump as well just hadn't gotten around to it yet!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom