• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We are all really relying on our furnaces now aren't we? Kinda scary when you think about it. Ours is over 20 years old but I've tried to take good care of it. It seems to be hanging in there just fine and it still shuts off quite often.

We moved in here just over two years ago. It was mid December and the very next day after we moved in our furnace went out. It was fixed the very next day but it was awful cold...about 20 degrees out. I can't imagine if it went down in weather like this. Mine's still kicking off pretty often but then it kicks back on after a couple minutes. I'll bet my gas bill will be beautiful next month

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    In sub-zero temp conditions a weak battery will freeze solid. Put a charger on it is it is weak and you may bye some time unless it has iced over already. Once frozen they are crap.

My daughter is going to get to buy a battery. She informed me that I don't need to worry about her getting home cause the tow truck is giving her a ride when they pick her up car at the end of her shift...bringing her and the car home together. At least I know she won't be in the ditch! I told her to ask the driver about a battery since it is the same salvage yard we go to all the time and they sell reconditioned batteries with the same warranty as new for $30 or so. It is -16 here (the last time I looked anyway...)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Do any of you guys have fire places and wood as backup?

no but we do have a kerosene heater along with a generator we can run a couple of lights or a couple of space heaters depending on how cold it gets.

I actually made it out of the alley today and drove to the speedway to get a dietpepsi. tasted so good, but not as good as BP's.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Just use an oven as a fire place

I had all for stovetop burners on for a while when the power was out and it was getting chilly. It made a difference. It is possible to run the oven if you have a mechanical valve to turn the gas on and light it manually. Most newer ovens have electric valves making it impossible to light the oven without power.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had all for stovetop burners on for a while when the power was out and it was getting chilly. It made a difference. It is possible to run the oven if you have a mechanical valve to turn the gas on and light it manually. Most newer ovens have electric valves making it impossible to light the oven without power.

Fortunately ours in ancient. The only thing required to make it work is to hook it to a gas line and light the pilot.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Do any of you guys have fire places and wood as backup?

We use our furnace as back up. We run it at least once a year to make sure it is working but we have wood stoves in the house that we use for heating. Hubby has a wood stove in his man cave for him and the kitties and another in his bigger shop in case he has to work on a vehicle that won't fit in the cave...that's mostly for working on motorcycles and small stuff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom