mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We cut up to length for the stove, split down and take home. My son loves to leave a bunch uncut and we get out the axes and have at it. Great stress reliever. Neighbors think we are freaking crazy.....:)

They are partially correct.

I let ours burn down at night. Last log in about half hour ago. To lazy to get up and feed it through the night.

We fill it before we go to bed and again when we get up in the morning and it's still got enough coals to get it going easily in the morning. I filled the upstairs stove yesterday morning and never added to it all day...was still 72 degrees up there when we went to bed. Good old airtight stoves that burn efficiently are a very good thing!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Things got silly?:): Imagine that!! My wife has never been there. So she even mentioned it a few times. And yes the ride is the best part! Might have to get me one of them there dressers! Don't think the wife could handle the springer!

I know many in the life. They are really great people but a week with them and their crew can get a bit tense at times. Nuff said.

My wife rode behind me on my springer for years. Then one day she had enough and I got her a Dyna Wide Glide.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We fill it before we go to bed and again when we get up in the morning and it's still got enough coals to get it going easily in the morning. I filled the upstairs stove yesterday morning and never added to it all day...was still 72 degrees up there when we went to bed. Good old airtight stoves that burn efficiently are a very good thing!

We have a Fisher. Not a big one but big enough. I use a fan to push the heat to the back of the house and put the stat on Circ to cycle the fan. My stove needs fed about every hour to maintain the house in these temps.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    We cut up to length for the stove, split down and take home. My son loves to leave a bunch uncut and we get out the axes and have at it. Great stress reliever. Neighbors think we are freaking crazy.....:)

They are partially correct.

I let ours burn down at night. Last log in about half hour ago. To lazy to get up and feed it through the night.
    Our log burning fireplace is now a gas burning fireplace! Had it converted bout 5 years ago. I just didn't have time to cut wood. So nice just to turn a knob. But I do miss the crackle and the wood smell.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our log burning fireplace is now a gas burning fireplace! Had it converted bout 5 years ago. I just didn't have time to cut wood. So nice just to turn a knob. But I do miss the crackle and the wood smell.

We have a gas fireplace in the family room on the back side of the house. It is always on below 30 deg.
    Wood stove in the front of the house. Yes it is a lot of work but the wife loves to be toasty in the deep winter.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have a Fisher. Not a big one but big enough. I use a fan to push the heat to the back of the house and put the stat on Circ to cycle the fan. My stove needs fed about every hour to maintain the house in these temps.

We have two Vermont Castings...the one in the basement is the biggest one they make with the catalytic combuster...piped into a masonry chimney. The upstairs one is a smaller Resolute model piped into the second flue of the chimney...chimney goes through the center of the house so radiates heat. Both stoves are located near the stairway so the heat goes up to the rest of the house. Pretty open concept so the one upstairs heats the main rooms very well.

The wood stoves in the outside shops keep the cats toasty warm and gives my husband a place to work on things. The last couple of days it has been tractors for a nearby business.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have two Vermont Castings...the one in the basement is the biggest one they make with the catalytic combuster...piped into a masonry chimney. The upstairs one is a smaller Resolute model piped into the second flue of the chimney...chimney goes through the center of the house so radiates heat. Both stoves are located near the stairway so the heat goes up to the rest of the house. Pretty open concept so the one upstairs heats the main rooms very well.

The wood stoves in the outside shops keep the cats toasty warm and gives my husband a place to work on things. The last couple of days it has been tractors for a nearby business.

Country folks can survive.....:)

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    That's for sure...which is why we laugh at the french toast crowd!! I could survive here for weeks...maybe months....without ever buying anything in town.
    As long as I had Reese's peanut butter cups and a bottle of coke. I'm a happy camper!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We did run through all the eggs and bread last week just as another bunch of snow hit us. Sent the son on a mission to resupply (we just got snow bound lazy) and he had to hit 3 stores for french toast supply's.
    Topped off everything last week so we are good to go.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    As long as I had Reese's peanut butter cups and a bottle of coke. I'm a happy camper!!

I have a recipe for reeses peanut butter bars....you can even freeze them and they are good. I have coke in the fridge.

I believe I am down to 10 dozen eggs cause I have a neighbor that keeps bringing me more from their chickens. Getting ready to make noodles with a bunch of them. We bake our own bread. Another neighbor has dairy cows so I can get all the milk I want real easily.

Hubby laughs at me for bringing home 200 pounds of flour at a time, but I love shopping at the Amish store and getting those 50# bags for $13...it's a deal!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom