Not open for further replies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    CAR REPAIR RANT:xmad:

I'm trying to fix a coolant leak on my daughters car. This engine is so crammed in that its impossible to see much of anything from the top. Water pump looks fine and dry all around it. I was looking under the car to see where it was dripping from. It was coming from the firewall area and there was heavy condensation and coolant smell from inside the car. Uh oh, looks like heater core. So I dig in and start tearing apart the bottom side of the dash. I'm in there for hours and I'm only about 4 screws and a couple water lines away from having the heater core loose. But I'm finding it odd that nothing is wet in there. So I decide to stop and check everything again. Come to find out that the water was running down a strut tower, across a little trough on the firewall and falling off when it hit the hole for the heater core lines. That accounted for the smell and condensation in the car and having a dry heater core. So now I'm really mad for having done all that work. I follow the water back as best I can and the only place water is leaking from is the reservoir tank cap. This is the only coolant cap this car has and it is a pressure cap so I assume that the cap is bad. Get a new cap and put it on. Warm the car up again and coolant is still gushing from around this cap. Now I can only assume that the system is over-pressurizing due to a clog somewhere. Now I gotta figure out how to hook up a hose to attempt to flush this thing out when its only 15 degrees outside. If I'm able to accomplish that, I still have several hours of reassembly to do from all that crap I took off the car to get to the heater core. My back did quit hurting though because it kinda went numb. I think I punctured my spleen on something trying to fit myself under that dash. I am not a happy man. :noway::xmad:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    You poor guy....I took pictures of my hubby when he would work on our GrandAm. I've never seen him bent in so many different ways before :rofl:

It's funny now, but he wasn't laughing then.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The more I study this problem, the more it looks like its a problem with the intake gasket or head gasket. That is a pretty common problem with these 3.1 GM engines. That's not a job I can handle myself and I'm not convinced the car is worth what it may cost to have a shop do it. I really hate having to tell my daughter that I can't make everything OK for her. I guess she has to learn sometime that Dad just can't do it all. I've had a hard time learning that myself.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Blockhaus-GP.jpg

:scratch:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Cool, did the cliff wash away under the bunker??

The cliff moves back each year and the bunker was about to fall.The local firefighters made it fall in 1995 for safety reasons since they had no idea when that thing could fall.
    Other bunkers in the region fell by themselves.
    Some others have yet to fall and are really close to the edge now.

Now it's impossible to move it.It's a solid block reinforced concrete.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    44044389.jpg

That's another one in the region who's really close to the edge.I wouldn't want to have my car parked underneath it when/if it falls.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom