• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    it has it moments. I spend a week writing to document a months worth of work.

This is what I do. This was not at my lab, but I run this test. it's fun when stuff fails.

http://youtu.be/LVwKh9cLoWg

I mess with these daily..this is one of the smaller ones I mess with at 3360 PSI...I test some that go up to 10,000psi...Ive only had one of those fail and it caused some major damage to the building itself.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc&feature=BFa&list=PL90A312A9C2EDA065&index=35[/ame]

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I mess with these daily..this is one of the smaller ones I mess with at 3360 PSI...I test some that go up to 10,000psi...Ive only had one of those fail and it caused some major damage to the building itself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc&feature=BFa&list=PL90A312A9C2EDA065&index=35

Yep, I have tested those as well. We mount the whole thing filled and then run drop and other life test on them. That happened because he used the wrong tools on the cylinder. He has to use non-sparking tools on the cylinder and that is only after he flushes the cylinder with nitrogen.

I have four sets of tool at work american and metric then a set of non sparking tools both american and metric.

here is a pic of a set of home cylinders we were venting of the O2 once the testing was complete.

picture.php

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Yep, I have tested those as well. We mount the whole thing filled and then run drop and other life test on them. That happened because he used the wrong tools on the cylinder. He has to use non-sparking tools on the cylinder and that is only after he flushes the cylinder with nitrogen.

I have four sets of tool at work american and metric then a set of non sparking tools both american and metric.

here is a pic of a set of home cylinders we were venting of the O2 once the testing was complete.

picture.php

I dont think it happened because of the tools....it may of helped cause the failure but I think the main reason it happened was because the guy got to comfortable in his ability and skipped a major step....making sure the cylinder was bled off before he started wrenching on it:): I had something similar happen to me and had I been standing a fraction of an inch to the right I wouldnt be sitting here typing this...I was standing over a cylinder and using a drill to remove valves on cylinders that I had just bled down...I was 100% sure I bled them all down and like a dumb ass I didn't put them in the cage and blow air into them to make sure they where bled....as soon as I pulled the trigger on the drill the valve blew out with over 2k psi behind it....it glanced off the side of my face,bruised my cheek and gave me a black eye and broke two fingers on my right hand....we never found the valve..but we did find the neat little hole it left in the ceiling and out the roof. learned a valuable lesson....no matter how comfortable I get with my job I should always double...triple.. quadruple check everything.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I dont think it happened because of the tools....it may of helped cause the failure but I think the main reason it happened was because the guy got to comfortable in his ability and skipped a major step....making sure the cylinder was bled off before he started wrenching on it:): I had something similar happen to me and had I been standing a fraction of an inch to the right I wouldnt be sitting here typing this...I was standing over a cylinder and using a drill to remove valves on cylinders that I had just bled down...I was 100% sure I bled them all down and like a dumb ass I didn't put them in the cage and blow air into them to make sure they where bled....as soon as I pulled the trigger on the drill the valve blew out with over 2k psi behind it....it glanced off the side of my face,bruised my cheek and gave me a black eye and broke two fingers on my right hand....we never found the valve..but we did find the neat little hole it left in the ceiling and out the roof. learned a valuable lesson....no matter how comfortable I get with my job I should always double...triple.. quadruple check everything.
    I will not disagree with you.

the melted valve from the fire would require an ignition source and all the parts of the and bottle as you know are anodized so as not to spark. even low pressure pure O2 will explode with high force if given the slightest chance.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I will not disagree with you.

the melted valve from the fire would require an ignition source and all the parts of the and bottle as you know are anodized so as not to spark. even low pressure pure O2 will explode with high force if given the slightest chance.

Also.. a medical O2 cylinders{m6-EL} size are aluminum with brass valves..nothing to spark. I've seen O2 ignite simply by coming into contact with grease or oil...its pretty nasty stuff if not handled correctly. I had an H2 cylinder go up in flames simple because I touched it..static electricity from a simple touch and my ear rang for weeks.:noway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom