• Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’m a noob. I own that.

But I came to this site because I thought I would be in good company. I’ve found that I’m, in many cases, nowhere near like minded gun owners.

Myself included, I’ve seen gun snobs of all types denigrating those that don’t fit into their niche.

A lot of 2A supporters only own one, two, three, firearms. Not because they don’t or can’t own more. But because that’s all that fit into there lifestyle or budget.

I’m at a stage of life that allows me to do whatever I want, I see the new guy’s-gal’s come on board and ask a question or make a comment and are immediately shot down because they don’t have or shoot the latest and greatest gold plated masterpiece. I accept that I may have done this myself in the past, but I can’t remember when. I know I have joined in a good natured ribbing more than once. But only joking around.

We, all of us, need every 2A supporter we can get. Please let’s not chase them off by telling them what they are doing isn’t good enough. Let’s support them and especially support them in teaching there children, grandchildren, neighbors, and non gun owning friends.

Flame Away!!!

RANT OVER

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I think to board activity has been on the decline, but that's pretty subjective. It does need to make sure new members are staying around to become old members.
    I’m going to make the assumption that your “to” is a fat finger “the” and by board I think you mean mod’s.

The board (a flat chunk of lumber) I personally don’t see as a problem. The mod’s can only take action if a rule is broken. I also don’t see this as a problem. I think it is an us problem. We as a group INGO must self control the problem, and that only if it is perceived as one. I do.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I’m going to make the assumption that your “to” is a fat finger “the” and by board I think you mean mod’s.

The board (a flat chunk of lumber) I personally don’t see as a problem. The mod’s can only take action if a rule is broken. I also don’t see this as a problem. I think it is an us problem. We as a group INGO must self control the problem, and that only if it is perceived as one. I do.
    By the board, I mean the forum. I wasn't meaning anything at all about the mods. It just seems like nowadays when I log in there are fewer new posts than there were 5 years ago or so..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    By the board, I mean the forum. I wasn't meaning anything at all about the mods. It just seems like nowadays when I log in there are fewer new posts than there were 5 years ago or so..
    Well...

MqduUc.gif

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK Understood, but of course I wasn’t here 5 years ago. Two n a half years. But I read the entire archive, so I’ve got that experience to go on.

Let’s consider for a moment, the possibility that the reason for less postings today may be the fact others like me are reading the site as guest. And by what they read are afraid to join or post if they do? …..Please just consider this one point.

I will say, I’m not inclined to post at times because I know it will bring down holly **** if I offer my opinion. Just a thought.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I’m a noob. I own that.

But I came to this site because I thought I would be in good company. I’ve found that I’m, in many cases, nowhere near like minded gun owners.

Myself included, I’ve seen gun snobs of all types denigrating those that don’t fit into their niche.

A lot of 2A supporters only own one, two, three, firearms. Not because they don’t or can’t own more. But because that’s all that fit into there lifestyle or budget.

I’m at a stage of life that allows me to do whatever I want, I see the new guy’s-gal’s come on board and ask a question or make a comment and are immediately shot down because they don’t have or shoot the latest and greatest gold plated masterpiece. I accept that I may have done this myself in the past, but I can’t remember when. I know I have joined in a good natured ribbing more than once. But only joking around.

We, all of us, need every 2A supporter we can get. Please let’s not chase them off by telling them what they are doing isn’t good enough. Let’s support them and especially support them in teaching there children, grandchildren, neighbors, and non gun owning friends.

Flame Away!!!

RANT OVER
    Friends don't let friends shoot Davis Industries guns...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’m a noob. I own that.

Flame Away!!!

RANT OVER
    First of all you're right, we need all the 2A supporters we can get. As gun and shooting enthusiasts we need to introduce new shooters and get more casual gun owners out to shoot again.

IMHO shooting is a different kind of sport because there are so many genres. It covers using equipment made 100+ years ago or yesterday. Many what I call active gun owners enjoy bits of several genres. Then there are gun owners who are really into and focused on one specific genre and are incredibly knowledgeable of it. There are gun owners who absolutely enjoy sitting at a shooting bench with a focus on shooting bullseye's and testing either factory or hand loads to see what is most accurate in their gun or how different loads stack up against each other. Some gun owners are more casual and may only get out to shoot 3 or 4 times per year. Likewise, some gun owners are basically just gun owners in an academic sense. They have a gun in the closet or a dresser drawer but very rarely ever shoot it. Some rarely shoot and some are what lefties would call fanatics.
    That's why IMO, sometimes people come across as "gun snobs". If the subject is best AR platforms for home/personal defense, then you can expect that those who served in war zones are going to share what they've seen works and doesn't. Same can be said if the discussion is 3 gun or cowboy action or busting clays. Those with good knowledge and experience will speak up just as those more casual will share their opinions. Doesn't take anything away from the lesser experienced in the discussion they just have a different view of what's needed or what's the best fit for the job.
    As I look things over here on the site, I often just read and keep my mouth shut. Mostly because someone else has already shared good information that maybe I can't expand on.

I don't think any of us wants to chase off any gun owners by telling people what they are doing isn't good enough or their gun of choice isn't good enough. But, people need to also accept that sometimes what they have isn't best suited for what they are trying to do.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I think to board activity has been on the decline, but that's pretty subjective. It does need to make sure new members are staying around to become old members.
    That's forums in general, not just INGO. I'm on a few other boards, some have died, some are on life support, while INGO is still kicking (way better than most).

IMO, that's largely due to Facebook and Reddit.

Last edited:

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Forums are great to share knowledge and opinions. Some may go overboard and some may go OVERBOARD. If a person is easily offended or frightened, that might be their personality and not the forum. I used to belong to a lot (not all gun related) and bailed on a few due to either lack of interest or dystopian environment killing the mood to enjoy the site or people in it.

I take everything with a grain of salt and do my own research after everyone's opinions. Google wasn't around when I was born so this generation pretty much can find anything online. I don't have brand name high end guns and so what? It does its job and just like justice, bullets are blind to what they come out of.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I spend a lot of time on here, sometimes scrolling, some time posting, and sometimes just snark. I extoll the virtues of this site to everyone gun owner I meet. I've been a sit supporter a few times, depending on the money situation, and will again soon, sorry. I'm on a few forums, but none can compare to this one, for information, humor, and just all around being interesting.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I do agree that we should never dis' anyone who checks in to learn or even socialize, but I have seen it happen.

We have "almost" a responsibility to especially newer members to sort of embrace and support them. And if they post noob questions that everyone else knows the answers to, then maybe an extra hand up might be in order for that person, rather than a flaming.

Also, call me evil, but if there ever was anything worth "Grooming" it's 2A support.

Who cares what they have to shoot? Doesn't have to be modern, gold plated, etc. It's a shooter; let's work together!
    I was taught to shoot using a break front, single shot .22, made in 1910 that my grandfather had as a kid. I learned a lot! I had support, even when I missed.

Mij, you may have opened a can of worms, but I know something about fishing, too. Betting I'm not alone.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The tone on here is much more mild than what I've encountered on other forums. It's also much more mellow than what it was 10 years ago when I joined.

It also feels to me like there's more political and current events talk now and less straight gun talk than there used to be. I think that's just the result of the world we're in. People are concerned with the state of the nation and rightfully so.

I still like it here. I don't think anyone is overly mean.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    i agree with @MCgrease08.

since i've been a member, things seem to have calmed down. i also believe it's because of the current "anxiety" across the country.

i've learned a lot about multiple subjects in threads that went off on a tangent.

my suggestion? new guys should pick a random thread and jump in. you may learn more than you thought you needed to know.

Top Bottom