• Status
    Not open for further replies.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I hate that my wife will put a cup of coffee on the debit card so, I got her a credit card. I called them and asked them to lower the limit as low as possible. The card now has a $500 limit. If you choose to build credit that way, I would suggest looking into a "secured" card or getting one with a low limit. There is no penalty for making payments early and often, sometimes I pay my wife's card 2 or 3 times in a month. :twocents:

I just looked up what a secured credit card is. I've never heard of that. It doesn't look like my credit union offers it, though. I don't see it on their website at least.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have one credit card with a $500 limit. I keep it around $100. I told the credit card company if they raised the limit, I would cancel the card.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I inherited my wifes debt when I married her...she had 7 credit cards when we married. Its all taken care of but it was rough for a few years. its not the money you put on a CC..its the interest..never ending cycle. had I made min payments on her CC it would of taken me something like 160+ years to pay them off..she had a couple cards that held a 23% interest rate...effin crazy! we have no CC now..I do have a store card with a $500 limit that I rarely use...maybe to get diapers or formula between pay checks but thats about it. as far as debit cards...I use mine all the time...I use it for most any purchase over $20. I earn 4.7% interest on my checking account as long as I use my debit card 10 times a month and keep my pay checks direct deposited.

I got my wife's debt too and use the debit for almost everything. I usually take $100 out of the ATM (paychecks are direct deposit) at a time for smaller purchases and the bigger right on the card. But, the wife would but a $0.99 cup of coffee on the debit 3 times a day! I got tired of that so, I got her the card. I usually pay it off every other week or so and it's usually not close to the limit but, there is no interest charges that way.

Trust us Magic, they are a great tool for building credit but, get that card with a LOW limit and PAY IT OFF EVERY TIME YOU GET PAID! It's a slippery slope and easy to start down!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I just looked up what a secured credit card is. I've never heard of that. It doesn't look like my credit union offers it, though. I don't see it on their website at least.

Yeah mine doesn't either. I wish they did, that way it really is "imaginary debit" :laugh:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I inherited my wifes debt when I married her...she had 7 credit cards when we married. Its all taken care of but it was rough for a few years. its not the money you put on a CC..its the interest..never ending cycle. had I made min payments on her CC it would of taken me something like 160+ years to pay them off..she had a couple cards that held a 23% interest rate...effin crazy! we have no CC now..I do have a store card with a $500 limit that I rarely use...maybe to get diapers or formula between pay checks but thats about it. as far as debit cards...I use mine all the time...I use it for most any purchase over $20. I earn 4.7% interest on my checking account as long as I use my debit card 10 times a month and keep my pay checks direct deposited.

23% is crazy. The card through my CU would be 14.9% which is still pretty high. I don't plan on paying any interest, though.:D

https://www.regionalfcu.org/credit-cards.asp

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom