• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Well, I made it to the weekend but man am I beat. I just hope I can recover enough by morning to get some stuff done. I need to do a bunch of work on my old truck and I really need to get my raggedy old lawn tractor serviced and ready for the season. Sheesh...always something. :rolleyes:

So how is everybody else this fine evening?

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    Well, I made it to the weekend but man am I beat. I just hope I can recover enough by morning to get some stuff done. I need to do a bunch of work on my old truck and I really need to get my raggedy old lawn tractor serviced and ready for the season. Sheesh...always something. :rolleyes:

So how is everybody else this fine evening?

I hear you. It never ends. Weekend starts in just a few minutes.:rockwoot:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Not too much here, went shooting and jacked one of my newer guns all up.... I've never even seen a failure like this one....

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    PICS??? Whahappened?

I tried getting pics but, the lighting SUCKS!

I was shooting my Ruger MKIII. About 4 rounds into a mag, instead of the usual "pop" of a .22 it was more like a "BANG!" of a .45. It actually made my hands sting and there was a good deal of smoke coming out of the action, the barrel, and where the upper and lower of the gun meet.

I knew something definitely was not right. I dropped the mag, locked the slide to the rear, made sure the chamber was empty, stepped out of the booth, and walked to the area of the range were equipment was stored. I visually examined it and nothing appeared to be damaged. I went for my light and the batteries were dead so, I looked down the barrel and chamber to make sure it was not obstructed it. It appeared to be clear.

I put another 15-20 rounds through it and it I kept getting FTEs. On the last round, I noticed that the "loaded chamber indicator" was sticking waaaay too far out. I pushed it and it was pretty much flapping in the breeze. I decided to put it away and to look at it when I got home.

When I brought it home, I noticed that, there is a casing stuck in the chamber without the back!!! I locked the slide to the rear and tried to drop a round in the chamber. It fit!!! Apparently, there was something wrong with the ammo that caused the casing to over expand and it blew the back straight off it! It's kind of amazing but, I don't know if I should try and fix the gun, call Ruger, or call Remington (the ammo I was using).

I don't even know if I should be more amazed or pissed off!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    The loaded chamber indicator, it should be flush with the left side of the gun

2011-04-08170101.jpg

The partial casing in the chamber

2011-04-08170037.jpg

Close up of the casing in the chamber

2011-04-08170116.jpg

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Its hard to understand how a round could still fit in the chamber if there was still a brass tube in there.

My guess is somehow they did a double powder charge. And frankly I've never been a fan of the Remington Golden Bullets (guessing since you said it was Rem ammo). And with the poor quality of that ammo I've experienced in the past I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I'd say it was probably a high charge and a weak spot in the case. :twocents:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Its hard to understand how a round could still fit in the chamber if there was still a brass tube in there.

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering how the hell I shot 15-20 more rounds after the BANG! So, I dropped a .22 inside the tube inside the chamber and almost crapped when it fit...

Sorry about the pics being over the kitchen sink, it's about the only place in my house with decent lighting...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    WTF? How does a bullet get past that?

It seems like in addition to blowing the back off the casing, it like "hyper-expanded". Either way, I'm not really happy about it... I want it fixed NOW but, also feel like calling Remington and / or Ruger on Monday would be a good idea before I messed with it...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom