• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    The dog is a "mutt" of sorts with one parent being a English mastiff and the other is a Rotweiler.(sp?) The pups are about 10 weeks old and I was thinking about one of them. I know a good amount about rots as my buddy has several but I have no experience with mastiffs. Are they good with young kids (mine is 3) and other dogs? Are they territorial if they get out of the fence? I don't want a dog that will be trying to fight with others if it gets out is all.

Thanks

those are gonna be some massive dogs lol..English Mastiff's are the BIG mastiff's. Most mastiff's are good with kids, as long as they're socialized to kids while young so you'd probably be ok there. The only problem with mastiff's and kids is just the size of the dog (big dog, little person lol). Same for other dogs. Most mastiff's were bred to be guard dogs so socialize, socialize, socialize. With dogs/people it doesn't know. But that's any dog really. If you socialize, shouldn't have too much of a problem. The friend I had that had 2 English Mastiff's, 1 male and 1 female, loved hers. The male had some dog issues, but he was a rescue I believe. A 10 week old puppy is almost a blank slate really.

American Kennel Club - Mastiff

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    those are gonna be some massive dogs lol..English Mastiff's are the BIG mastiff's. Most mastiff's are good with kids, as long as they're socialized to kids while young so you'd probably be ok there. The only problem with mastiff's and kids is just the size of the dog (big dog, little person lol). Same for other dogs. Most mastiff's were bred to be guard dogs so socialize, socialize, socialize. With dogs/people it doesn't know. But that's any dog really. If you socialize, shouldn't have too much of a problem. The friend I had that had 2 English Mastiff's, 1 male and 1 female, loved hers. The male had some dog issues, but he was a rescue I believe. A 10 week old puppy is almost a blank slate really.

Hmmm....my parents have two dogs and a huge yard so I will be taking the puppy over there to play with them if I get it. I live in a "suburb" type neighborhood with a log of kids so that is why I am concerned about it getting out and being friendly. I originally wanted a medium sized dog because of my smaller house but this could be interesting as well. A big dog can be a lot of fun.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Hmmm....my parents have two dogs and a huge yard so I will be taking the puppy over there to play with them if I get it. I live in a "suburb" type neighborhood with a log of kids so that is why I am concerned about it getting out and being friendly. I originally wanted a medium sized dog because of my smaller house but this could be interesting as well. A big dog can be a lot of fun.

socializing is just take the puppy (once it's had it's 2nd round of shots) anywhere you can. Take it to the pet store, even if it's just to walk around, try some of the Home Depots/Menards (apparently it's up to the store management about allowing dogs in the store), Tractor Supply, car rides to go through the drive through. Basically the goal is to expose the dog to as many different people/sights/sounds/smells as you can so that the dog will end up becoming a better judge of character. If you don't expose a puppy to a certain race of person, the dog could have issue's with that race in the future for example. That mix of breeds shouldn't have any aggression problems just from existing...Bad Rottie's get a bad reputation through lack of socializing. My dog's breed is prone to protectiveness, being suspicious strangers, etc. I worked my butt off socializing her and now she's fine with stranger's approaching her in public 98% of the time. But socializing a dog is never done. And big dogs can be fun! Think of just the intimidation factor for home defense (NO, I'm not saying the dog is a weapon but if a dog is a deterant, a BIG dog is a BIGGER deterant). And a big dog can take more...handling...from kids without worrying you're gonna have an injured dog.

Also, even if you're not gonna do puppy training classes (I reccommend them but obviously it's your puppy, your money), look for FREE seminars at pet stores. USE what they offer to your advantage

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    socializing is just take the puppy (once it's had it's 2nd round of shots) anywhere you can. Take it to the pet store, even if it's just to walk around, try some of the Home Depots/Menards (apparently it's up to the store management about allowing dogs in the store), Tractor Supply, car rides to go through the drive through. Basically the goal is to expose the dog to as many different people/sights/sounds/smells as you can so that the dog will end up becoming a better judge of character. If you don't expose a puppy to a certain race of person, the dog could have issue's with that race in the future for example. That mix of breeds shouldn't have any aggression problems just from existing...Bad Rottie's get a bad reputation through lack of socializing. My dog's breed is prone to protectiveness, being suspicious strangers, etc. I worked my butt off socializing her and now she's fine with stranger's approaching her in public 98% of the time. But socializing a dog is never done. And big dogs can be fun! Think of just the intimidation factor for home defense (NO, I'm not saying the dog is a weapon but if a dog is a deterant, a BIG dog is a BIGGER deterant). And a big dog can take more...handling...from kids without worrying you're gonna have an injured dog.

Also, even if you're not gonna do puppy training classes (I reccommend them but obviously it's your puppy, your money), look for FREE seminars at pet stores. USE what they offer to your advantage

Thanks for the input! I strongly believe in getting a dog as used to people as you can so that it doesn't attract problems later. One of my parents dogs will not let a black person near the house and goes after them if she can but for some reason the other dog acts nothing like that. Also, I know exactly what you are saying about the big dog keeping people from wanting to break in a house.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Thanks for the input! I strongly believe in getting a dog as used to people as you can so that it doesn't attract problems later. One of my parents dogs will not let a black person near the house and goes after them if she can but for some reason the other dog acts nothing like that. Also, I know exactly what you are saying about the big dog keeping people from wanting to break in a house.

When we lived back home we had an 85# lab mix (ex has him now) but that dog was great at keeping people in their cars when they drove up to the house. All he had to do was stand there and bark :rockwoot: He's just about the sweetest dog ever though, let's kids do anything they want to him, try's to crawl into people's laps, big baby

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Speaking of pizza. I'd love to move to the Carmel-Fishers area after college and all that, but I don't know if I could give up Chicago area pizza. Dominos and Papa Johns don't cut it when you are used to the pizza up here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom