• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Hubby figured out today what is making the refrigerator clunk loudly enough to wake us up during the night...something in the compressor is making the noise. It has been doing this for a while but is getting much louder. Sounds like a new refrigerator is in our future. This one is only 18 years old...the old Whirlpool in the basement is 10 years older and working fine so may need to skip the Kenmore and get another Whirlpool.

Washing machine may also need replaced. It will be inspected tomorrow. He thinks it may just be a spring. I think the sale price on the new one is too good to pass up and the old one could be a backup if he can fix it. We shall see how this ends. :):

If you have the option of fixing the old stuff along with buying new stuff, you'll have the best of both worlds! New stuff can be tempting but the old saying "they don't make'em like they used to" still holds true. Best of luck!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I spent the first 15 minutes of my day today hacking stuff out of my chest due to this blasted summer cold. I've felt a lot better as the day progressed though. I even managed to cut the grass in the back yard this evening. Maybe there is hope for enjoying the long holiday weekend.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you have the option of fixing the old stuff along with buying new stuff, you'll have the best of both worlds! New stuff can be tempting but the old saying "they don't make'em like they used to" still holds true. Best of luck!

But they also don't last forever...we are talking mid 80's vintage here...pretty sure it has outlived most of its friends. :):

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    But they also don't last forever...we are talking mid 80's vintage here...pretty sure it has outlived most of its friends. :):

I've repaired enough appliances in my day to know that the 80's were a very good vintage. If it can be reliably repaired for less than half of the replacement cost, I would do it if it were mine. Just sayin...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've repaired enough appliances in my day to know that the 80's were a very good vintage. If it can be reliably repaired for less than half of the replacement cost, I would do it if it were mine. Just sayin...

The tub is loose in the cabinet so it may be a spring(s) issue. Everything else on the thing has been replaced at least once I think. The motor was replaced several years ago. I found a new one (top loader) that looks like a good one. Normally over $700 and on sale for $389.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The tub is loose in the cabinet so it may be a spring(s) issue. Everything else on the thing has been replaced at least once I think. The motor was replaced several years ago. I found a new one (top loader) that looks like a good one. Normally over $700 and on sale for $389.

If you are getting that big a break on the cost, it could make up the difference. You are obviously in a better position to make that call than I am. Best of luck. New appliances these days make me cringe. I've been through it myself.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you are getting that big a break on the cost, it could make up the difference. You are obviously in a better position to make that call than I am. Best of luck. New appliances these days make me cringe. I've been through it myself.

They certainly don't make them to last like they did years ago. If we buy a second washer, I could actually have one in the upstairs laundry room again so I do have an ulterior motive if he can fix the old one. I used to have two sets...when my washer died, it didn't get replaced so I have one washer and two dryers. One dryer hardly ever gets used other than as a place to set stuff on the top of it.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    They certainly don't make them to last like they did years ago. If we buy a second washer, I could actually have one in the upstairs laundry room again so I do have an ulterior motive if he can fix the old one. I used to have two sets...when my washer died, it didn't get replaced so I have one washer and two dryers. One dryer hardly ever gets used other than as a place to set stuff on the top of it.

My wife called me at work today asking advice about cleaning something out of our dryer that was smearing stains on the clothes being dried. I told her to run the dryer for a few minutes with nothing in it to soften whatever was on the drum, then try to clean in while it was still hot and soft. It just seemed like common sense to me but she thought I was a GENIUS! ;)

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    My wife called me at work today asking advice about cleaning something out of our dryer that was smearing stains on the clothes being dried. I told her to run the dryer for a few minutes with nothing in it to soften whatever was on the drum, then try to clean in while it was still hot and soft. It just seemed like common sense to me but she thought I was a GENIUS! ;)
    :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Well....yeah.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom