mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    How long does it take to kill an oak tree?

The oak wilt seems to hit fast. First you see some dead leaves at the very top, and in a matter of weeks all the leaves fall off of the tree. We try to cut them as soon as we see it in hopes of stopping the spread. We had several last year that were at least 3 foot in diameter that we had to take down.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The oak wilt seems to hit fast. First you see some dead leaves at the very top, and in a matter of weeks all the leaves fall off of the tree. We try to cut them as soon as we see it in hopes of stopping the spread. We had several last year that were at least 3 foot in diameter that we had to take down.

That's a lot of lumber.

Neighbor of mine on this forum Shibumi has one of those Wood Mizer saw mills. He's cutting his dead ash trees into lumber and storing it in one of his barns, smart move, he'll cash in some day in the future.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That's a lot of lumber.

Neighbor of mine on this forum Shibumi has one of those Wood Mizer saw mills. He's cutting his dead ash trees into lumber and storing it in one of his barns, smart move, he'll cash in some day in the future.

My uncle has one of those too. Ours is all cut, split and stacked and will keep us warm for a couple more winters at least. We have way more firewood ready to go than we ever have before.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My uncle has one of those too. Ours is all cut, split and stacked and will keep us warm for a couple more winters at least. We have way more firewood ready to go than we ever have before.

Firewood was a topic of conversation today.
    I am building another wood shed. Hope to have all 4 full and ready by mid-summer. Avoid the season change rush.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Firewood was a topic of conversation today.
    I am building another wood shed. Hope to have all 4 full and ready by mid-summer. Avoid the season change rush.

We have run out of space to stack it for the most part. The wood shed is almost filled back up already from what we used this winter. I think it will only hold one more row. I don't remember how many cords hubby figured were in there. The wood storage part of my barn is 8X20 and it is stacked to the roof, which is sloped from 6 foot up to about 15...used a ladder to stack it in the taller part. There is more in the back...probably about three rows at least 8 foot long and 8 foot high. That is plus what is in the fenced in pen with the roof and what is stacked next to the tractor shed. There is some split but not picked up and stacked yet. I'm not sure how many trees we have down from the last few storms, but I know there are a few smaller ones across my lane I drive on to get through the woods.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Heading to the recliner to crochet. My back seems to be a bit sore tonight. I may have overdone it. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have run out of space to stack it for the most part. The wood shed is almost filled back up already from what we used this winter. I think it will only hold one more row. I don't remember how many cords hubby figured were in there. The wood storage part of my barn is 8X20 and it is stacked to the roof, which is sloped from 6 foot up to about 15...used a ladder to stack it in the taller part. There is more in the back...probably about three rows at least 8 foot long and 8 foot high. That is plus what is in the fenced in pen with the roof and what is stacked next to the tractor shed. There is some split but not picked up and stacked yet. I'm not sure how many trees we have down from the last few storms, but I know there are a few smaller ones across my lane I drive on to get through the woods.

You have 2 stoves yes...???

I can get 2 ric in the shed down the yard. 2 ric on the carport after I fashion a better holding bin for it and half a ric in the smaller staging shed outside the back door.
    We did not burn all of that up last winter as it was pretty fair. If it is not below 35 all day our stove will run us out of the front of the house...:):

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You have 2 stoves yes...???

I can get 2 ric in the shed down the yard. 2 ric on the carport after I fashion a better holding bin for it and half a ric in the smaller staging shed outside the back door.
    We did not burn all of that up last winter as it was pretty fair. If it is not below 35 all day our stove will run us out of the front of the house...:):

We have a big Vermont Castings stove in the basement. We never fired up the small one in the living room this winter. There is a small stove that my husband made that is in his mancave that he keeps going for the cats. The woodstove in the other shop also never got used this winter since it didn't get so cold that we were worried about anything freezing in there. That building is well insulated and he blows out all the pipes so they don't freeze and drains the water heater. He used that one mainly when he was restoring his truck or if he has a major repair he needs to do one one of our other vehicles where he can stay warm.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Okay...I really am moving now while I am still able to. I may check in before I head to bed. This chair is not making my back happy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a big Vermont Castings stove in the basement. We never fired up the small one in the living room this winter. There is a small stove that my husband made that is in his mancave that he keeps going for the cats. The woodstove in the other shop also never got used this winter since it didn't get so cold that we were worried about anything freezing in there. That building is well insulated and he blows out all the pipes so they don't freeze and drains the water heater. He used that one mainly when he was restoring his truck or if he has a major repair he needs to do one one of our other vehicles where he can stay warm.

My shop is gas heat. Cheap enough. House is heated with gas up front and the ad on is Electric (:() baseboard. We have a gas log fireplace with a blower that will keep it well above the heat running until maybe 10* with w good wind and then the electrics (:() will cycle but not much.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom