mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And I'm sitting here drinking plain old coke. I am doing it wrong!

Just made four gallons of refrigerator dills. I braved the heat and picked the garden. Washing all of the hummingbird feeders and refilling them. I have three out so far...five more soaking to be refilled as soon as this batch of food cools down. Those birds are sure hungry little critters.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

Just made four gallons of refrigerator dills. I braved the heat and picked the garden. Washing all of the hummingbird feeders and refilling them. I have three out so far...five more soaking to be refilled as soon as this batch of food cools down. Those birds are sure hungry little critters.

Been outside working on my daughters van. When I sanded, I found that one spot was more than surface rust, it was gone through about the size of a half dollar. Waiting for the bondo to set up....:noway:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    F'en mosquitoes are bad. Don't know where they are coming from, I have consistently cleared any standing water here, but don't know what the neighbors are doing...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yep, but on the "not-so-bright-side" the Old Farmers Almanac came out today. Predicted higher than average snow and colder than average temps for the Midwest this winter....:noway:

I saw that but I am not going to worry about it at this point. It makes me crazy when I know my kids have to drive in nasty weather, but there is always a chance that stupid thing is wrong.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

we run 4 feeders 32oz a piece and i refilled them this mornin' and 2 are emtpy and 2 are just over half gone.......by dark they will be gone too....

older pic....

1572byu.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    All 8 of mine are quart sized feeders. I've never had so many hummingbirds as we've had this year. I've gone through over 50# of sugar and need to buy another 25# bag.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    yep it is a lot but me a g/f like feeding and watching them:)

I love watching the birds. We spend a small fortune on bird feed, thistle feed, suet, sugar and corn. I have several other feeders all over the yard too.

I saw a yellow finch eating seeds from my purple coneflowers yesterday. I see the hummingbirds hitting a lot of my flowers as well so that helps save on some food costs. I was going to collect the coneflower seeds and trim them up since most of them are done blooming now, but after seeing the bird going from one to the next eating, I figure I'll leave it be for a while.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    we feed 50# of sunflower seeds every 2 week in the winter then i feed the deer/turkey's/coons/doves ect corn about 100 pounds every 2 weeks in the winter too....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    we feed 50# of sunflower seeds every 2 week in the winter then i feed the deer/turkey's/coons/doves ect corn about 100 pounds every 2 weeks in the winter too....

I have been feeding about 100# of corn every couple of weeks. I was going to stop when spring hit, but the deer like it and I enjoy seeing them and the babies they are now bringing to see me. We have at least two sets of twins, a single and now a set of triplets that showed up this week. I see at least five different bucks daily and several different does. We've also got two or three different flocks of turkeys coming to visit daily now. I'm not sure if you saw these when I posted the other day. These are a few of last week's pictures from the back yard.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    yep seen the pic's........those are great pic's!!!!......i feed up in the woods......can't feed by the house the dog and cat likes to stock the deer..:):

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    yep seen the pic's........those are great pic's!!!!......i feed up in the woods......can't feed by the house the dog and cat likes to stock the deer..:):

The guinea and one of the cats like to do that. The guinea thinks he is all big and bad and runs at the deer and turkey with his feathers all out and wings flapping. They laugh at him...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom