Not open for further replies.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Hubby HATED cranes. He mostly did the backhoe work. They always gave him the deep stuff...30' and more. Had to work around the guys down in the hole and use trench boxes and stuff to keep the dirt from caving in on them. He hated it...very stressful for him.

Yep, I've been the guy down in a trench box before...gotta have a good operator, some of those guys are idiots and shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, let alone a piece of heavy equipment with all those blind spots...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hubby HATED cranes. He mostly did the backhoe work. They always gave him the deep stuff...30' and more. Had to work around the guys down in the hole and use trench boxes and stuff to keep the dirt from caving in on them. He hated it...very stressful for him.

Running a modern crane carry's a lot of responsibility and can be stressful.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

lol...my boss back at home used to let me use his from time to time...thankfully no one was ever around

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yep, I've been the guy down in a trench box before...gotta have a good operator, some of those guys are idiots and shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, let alone a piece of heavy equipment with all those blind spots...

He hated it that the guys all ASSUMED he knew where they were. He was trying to dig a hole he couldn't even see into and they were doing stupid **** all around him. They always gave him the deep stuff because they knew he could handle it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    lol...my boss back at home used to let me use his from time to time...thankfully no one was ever around

I use our little one when nobody else is around. Then they can't laugh at me if I kill it shifting gears. It is nothing compared to the huge things he ran at work though.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    He hated it that the guys all ASSUMED he knew where they were. He was trying to dig a hole he couldn't even see into and they were doing stupid **** all around him. They always gave him the deep stuff because they knew he could handle it.

Eye contact is key. "Hey, I'm gonna go over there and do this." "OK, I see you and recognize where you will be and what you will be doing, go for it, I'll steer clear of you"

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I use our little one when nobody else is around. Then they can't laugh at me if I kill it shifting gears. It is nothing compared to the huge things he ran at work though.

Yeah, I leave the serious machinery to the professionals lol...i do love me some skid steer action though

I know who they should have hired...it would be much further along now...might actually hit the completion date, hell might have even been done early...

Sigh...

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Eye contact is key. "Hey, I'm gonna go over there and do this." "OK, I see you and recognize where you will be and what you will be doing, go for it, I'll steer clear of you"

More people need to understand this about life in general.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've never ran any kind of equipment...I've worked around it plenty and understand the functions, just not the controls.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've never ran any kind of equipment...I've worked around it plenty and understand the functions, just not the controls.

These guys worked with him every day and he made it look so easy that they developed an unsafe comfort zone. He was always complaining about the stupid **** the guys would do...walking around the equipment when he was moving things, swinging the bucket around, backing up, etc. When the kids would be riding their bikes when he was working on the tractors, they knew to stay away from the equipment, but we had to really instill that in them. He was scared to death he would run one of them over with his little dozer or the backhoe we have.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom