actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

No.
    But we almost got run over by a carrier when we were playing "cat and mouse games".
    Thanks. Another scary thing.

We were playing with either the Midway, or the Coral Sea.
    We practice attacking them.
    They practice finding us.
    They simulate being sunk a lot.

But you have to be careful sneaking on a carrier.
    Subs find other stuff by listening. That's it. None of that Ping stuff you see in the old movies. Gives your position away like using a flashlight in the dark.
    Sneaking up slow, you listen, plot a bearing to target.
    Sprint to a new spot.
    Slow again, plot a bearing to target.
    Repeat.
    After a while, you can plot their course.

So you get close to make the shot.
    Too far away, and they'll possibly evade and let the torp run outta juice.
    So you get in knife close.
    Except the target changes course while you're sprinting.
    And while carriers are big muthers, they're also fast runners.

So we come up on the final leg and we come to PD (periscope depth) to verify.
    And we simulate the shoot by firing a green flare from the signal ejector. Cause the Navy frowns on us putting a fish into a bird farm.
    We got a new Captain real quite guy. The last guy was a screamer.
    Periscope goes up, capt takes a look.
    Flips the handles down and calmly says, "Down Periscope. Emergency Deep. Rig for collision"
    He's so calm and smooth, everyone in the conn thinks its part of the drill. No Big Deal.

As the deck tilts and the screws push us down, we start to hear this deep all encompassing "thrashing" envelope us.

Turns out, we come to PD right in front, so big he can't see the whole ship through the scope.
    So as we're scrambling for depth, the behemoth is bearing down on us, and A LOT of it is underwater. Their keel is below our PD.

The captain that was a screamer, everyone ignored him.
    The calm collected school teacher captain, that's the man you go to hell with.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Anyone that has been to Jamaica has to be aware that you can get skinned there.

I've been to the Bahamas and St. Thomas. I stayed in the touristy areas for the most part. Getting the local experience was not part of my agenda. I can only imagine what it's like in other places...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wonder what the odds of that are?

Depends.
    In the deep, very low odds.
    Some navys have different depth capabilities, coupled with the size of the ocean, and the depth, and the fact that different nations stick to different operating "levels" to minimize this.

But, if you're playing cat and mouse then you're near another.
    Also, if you're in a shipping lane.
    Or near a port.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Depends.
    Some navys have different depth capabilities, coupled with the size of the ocean, and the depth, and the fact that different nations stick to different operating "levels" to minimize this.

Or near a port.
    It sounds like a lot to worry about.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Depends.

Or near a port.

Could that even happen between two subs from the same nation?
    I get that one nation wont tell the other where their subs are so accident can happen, but do they also keep their location secret from friendly subs?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had a date with two German girls, yest two and they both knew eachother.
    I spent a few days in Germany with both of them.
    Didn't end well!
    Damn! I had a similar situation here in good ole 'MERICA! So I was getting it on with 2 girls in the one girls bedroom. They were friends. They had me blindfolded and somewhat furry cuffed, so they decided to take turns talking into the microphone and asing me who sang better. Between me being honest and then one not liking how I was showing her friend some sign language the one who didn't live there stormed out. The other one followed. I was like wtf?! Still without clothes handcuffed and blindfolded. So I could hear the most epic cat fight in the other room the door slamming then I heard it move outside (yeah they didn't have all their clothes on. And then I heard a screeching tires and silence. .......... Then a door and the one who lived there came back in and basicly said **** her it's her loss, an proceeded to turn me into a saddle!

The crazy hot German chick has to wait because I can't tell it here

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been to the Bahamas and St. Thomas. I stayed in the touristy areas for the most part. Getting the local experience was not part of my agenda. I can only imagine what it's like in other places...

Been to most of the Virgin Islands. Been to the Jamaica. I will take St. Thomas/St. Johns over Jamaica in a split second.
    Off the reservation Jamaica is a :poop:hole.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Damn! I had a similar situation here in good ole 'MERICA! So I was getting it on with 2 girls in the one girls bedroom. They were friends. They had me blindfolded and somewhat furry cuffed, so they decided to take turns talking into the microphone and asing me who sang better. Between me being honest and then one not liking how I was showing her friend some sign language the one who didn't live there stormed out. The other one followed. I was like wtf?! Still without clothes handcuffed and blindfolded. So I could hear the most epic cat fight in the other room the door slamming then I heard it move outside (yeah they didn't have all their clothes on. And then I heard a screeching tires and silence. .......... Then a door and the one who lived there came back in and basicly said **** her it's her loss, an proceeded to turn me into a saddle!

:faint:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Oh I so want to share her but just better not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom