Not open for further replies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Can soldiers even keep their issued gun once they leave the military?
    Back then they just took them. I had heard of some bein able to buy them in the civil war but I don't know if that was the case in wwii. They just took tem and the govt largely ignored it.
    Up until the mid 60's the govt sold off guns they had in surplus but in 1965 the govt stopped that. So if a soldier brought one home from Vietnam it was taken without authorization most likely. Chalked up to combat loss probably to get it off the books.
    i am no expert on this subject but I'm going to be educating myself starting tomorrow.

on a side note, I have my 3rd great grandfathers springfield rifle he used In the civil war.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Can soldiers even keep their issued gun once they leave the military?
    In short NO! Sensitive items will lock your butt in country till recovered. With that said, wars like WWII had a very large number of field loss pieces. Even in Iraq there were a lot of field loss weapons. When ambushed there were times weapons were lost etc. With that said as well, it's near impossible to clear customs with weapons.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can picture CM during the 70's.Dressed as a pimp with a white suit and a double shoulder holster with 2 shiny crhomed 1911s.

Looked more like a member of Lenard Skinerd with hair to my belt, bell bottoms and tie died shirt with Jesus sandals.

Yes, I did have a shoulder rig but only 1 parkerized 1911........:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In short NO! Sensitive items will lock your butt in country till recovered. With that said, wars like WWII had a very large number of field loss pieces. Even in Iraq there were a lot of field loss weapons. When ambushed there were times weapons were lost etc. With that said as well, it's near impossible to clear customs with weapons.

Now days I am sure. Back in the day.........not so hard.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Most likely engraved before chrome. My uncles both carried 1911's in the Nam. They both carried wooden Battle rifles most of the conflict until forced into the black rifles.

Could have come back from the Nam and was sold off or passed down through the family. The mid 70's it was cool to chrome so that sounds about right.
    Well holy bat **** Robbin! I don't think I wanna get rid or chop this one up now. It could have killed some g .... Oh wai can't use that word probably. It could have killed some enemy forces in Vietnam or just have been carried in the holster the whole time :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back then they just took them. I had heard of some bein able to buy them in the civil war but I don't know if that was the case in wwii. They just took tem and the govt largely ignored it.
    Up until the mid 60's the govt sold off guns they had in surplus but in 1965 the govt stopped that. So if a soldier brought one home from Vietnam it was taken without authorization most likely. Chalked up to combat loss probably to get it off the books.
    i am no expert on this subject but I'm going to be educating myself starting tomorrow.

on a side note, I have my 3rd great grandfathers springfield rifle he used In the civil war.

A lot of the Cival War weapons were personally owned I am told.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    TT in the civil war it was not uncommon for soldiers to be required to purchase their weapons. You are correct about the Govt release weapons. Generally they were sold to the NRA to distribute.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Also as someone who lives in Normandy I can usually easilly tell if the movie was shoot there when it comes to WW2 movies.Usually they are not on the movie sets dont look that genuine.
    I think the movie The Longest Day was shot on the beaches of Corsica and not Normandy.You can tell it's not right even if the beaches look the same to most people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well holy bat **** Robbin! I don't think I wanna get rid or chop this one up now. It could have killed some g .... Oh wai can't use that word probably. It could have killed some enemy forces in Vietnam or just have been carried in the holster the whole time :):

If it was there in the bush it was used. Tunnel clearing was done with hand guns at times. Tight quarters and all.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah modern, no for sure.
    whats statute of limitations for even knowing about theft of military property? Never? Oh
    I KNOW a man who is in prison still for trying to sneak back some captured weaponry. And I HEARD about others that never got caught.
    I promise it was not me. I was way too chicken **** and by the book to do any of that ****

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Yeah modern, no for sure.
    whats statute of limitations for even knowing about theft of military property? Never? Oh
    I KNOW a man who is in prison still for trying to sneak back some captured weaponry. And I HEARD about others that never got caught.
    I promise it was not me. I was way too chicken **** and by the book to do any of that ****
    As I recall, there were some O-4 and ups that got busted after Desert Storm.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    "TT"....just clean it up and make it run.
    When you say clean it up do you mean strip and reparkerized it? Or leave it chrome? It's actually a very beautiful gun. I thought it was in rough shape by the sellers pics but when it showed up it was stunned (besides it being a chrome pimp gun).
    It's in amazing shape. Just the gold plated accents are wearing wore off in places. Chrome under them is good though

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When you say clean it up do you mean strip and reparkerized it? Or leave it chrome? It's actually a very beautiful gun. I thought it was in rough shape by the sellers pics but when it showed up it was stunned (besides it being a chrome pimp gun).

Disassemble, inspect, clean/polish the ignition group, replace anything questionable and reassemble with love and care.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom