Not open for further replies.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    It sounds like his family buys no meat at all in the store and venison is the main thing they eat. When the kids were still here at home, we would put two deer in the freezer and that would last us a year. I don't buy meat in the store, and we go through a half a beef a year and supplement with pork and chicken that we buy at the butcher. This guy isn't picky...he shoots every deer that walks past him from the way it sounds. I guess that is part of what makes me upset about his hunting. He doesn't seem to have any criteria that he uses. Hubby always tried to take ones that appeared to have any kind of injury that may not survive the winter (not sickly, but limping, etc). In all the years we have been here, I can only think of two times when hubby was unable to find a deer he had hit. Most drop fairly close to where they are shot and are recovered quickly. None have been recovered off of our property.

I don't shoot if there are little ones with the doe, I've passed up a couple clear shots because there were young'ns with her. I also tracked a deer I didn't even hit just to make sure I didn't leave a wounded one out there. I missed 2 last year and swore I hit them but never found any blood...I think I just scared the :poop: out of one though because I found a fresh pile while I was following the trail after I shot.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I don't shoot if there are little ones with the doe, I've passed up a couple clear shots because there were young'ns with her. I also tracked a deer I didn't even hit just to make sure I didn't leave a wounded one out there. I missed 2 last year and swore I hit them but never found any blood...I think I just scared the :poop: out of one though because I found a fresh pile while I was following the trail after I shot.

It was so windy, I could not believe it when my phone went off and he asked to track her tonight. Hubby never went out during bow season when it was really windy due to it making it hard to get a good shot. He said hew as shivering and having a hard time aiming and the doe was walking when he shot...said he saw the arrow sticking out of her side but it must have been back farther than he intended. That made me mad. I'll have to go out in the morning and see if I can find her. It's raining again so maybe it will be too wet for many of the neighbors to be out in their stands tomorrow. Hubby said he has a good idea where she headed based on what the neighbor told us. There is an area with thicker underbrush where they like to bed down so that's probably where we will find her.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm not a bow hunter, but if it's that windy I would know better than to shoot. I'm mad at myself for missing the 2 last year, but at least I didn't wound them and leave them to suffer. I gotta take the gun to the range and make sure I'm ready to go for this year.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    :wavey:

That sux about the deer mom. I agree, it's too windy.

My poor bambies...they take it hard during hunting season around here. I told him if he sees my three legged doe, to leave her alone. She has been here about 8 years now and has triplets this year. I hope he does as he said and goes to the other place he is able to hunt. Hubby just told him that if he shoots one and it runs into our woods, he no longer has permission to track them. He wasn't thrilled but understood and said that since he has no way to guarantee they won't go where he can't follow them, he will hunt at his in-law's 20 minutes away from here. Not as convenient, but solves the problem.

oh well..change of subject. You guys carry on. I am tired and calling it a night. Have a good one.

Somebody write a note for Act so he doesn't have to go to work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom