Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Jagee, mom, howdy!

Hi everyone! Long day. Got on here earlier but then a neighbor came over and had to visit. It was not a fun visit...had to talk to him about hunting and tracking his deer. Opening day was just two days ago, and he already is calling to track deer that he is shooting. As windy as it was, he took a shot with his bow at a doe tonight and had no blood trail. He said he saw the arrow sticking out of her and he hit farther back than intended because she was moving...didn't wait for her to stop and to have a clear shot. He looked for her for an hour but did not find her or any blood. So...now we have a wounded doe out there somewhere. Pretty sure she is the one I see in my back yard with her twins all the time. He said she had two young ones with her. Last year, he shot 7 deer and only retrieved 4. I am tired of deer being maimed and dying in our woods when he can't find them. Had to have a talk with him about how his tracking is impacting hubby's ability to hunt...he walks everywhere and stirs everything up and then we don't see anything here. He only has a very narrow strip on his property that borders ours where he can hunt (that is not his yard), and everything he shoots requires tracking all over our property. We had a nice chat and I think he understood. He said he has another place he can hunt but he has to drive 20 minutes to get there...sounds like he is planning to move his stuff to the other location. We told him we did not want to be difficult but we just can't have everyone wandering all over in our woods as there is also the liability factor if we have anyone else hunting out there.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Hi everyone! Long day. Got on here earlier but then a neighbor came over and had to visit. It was not a fun visit...had to talk to him about hunting and tracking his deer. Opening day was just two days ago, and he already is calling to track deer that he is shooting. As windy as it was, he took a shot with his bow at a doe tonight and had no blood trail. He said he saw the arrow sticking out of her and he hit farther back than intended because she was moving...didn't wait for her to stop and to have a clear shot. He looked for her for an hour but did not find her or any blood. So...now we have a wounded doe out there somewhere. Pretty sure she is the one I see in my back yard with her twins all the time. He said she had two young ones with her. Last year, he shot 7 deer and only retrieved 4. I am tired of deer being maimed and dying in our woods when he can't find them. Had to have a talk with him about how his tracking is impacting hubby's ability to hunt...he walks everywhere and stirs everything up and then we don't see anything here. He only has a very narrow strip on his property that borders ours where he can hunt (that is not his yard), and everything he shoots requires tracking all over our property. We had a nice chat and I think he understood. He said he has another place he can hunt but he has to drive 20 minutes to get there...sounds like he is planning to move his stuff to the other location. We told him we did not want to be difficult but we just can't have everyone wandering all over in our woods as there is also the liability factor if we have anyone else hunting out there.
    I hate dumb asses

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I hate dumb asses

We actually get along with him and his wife well so it was hard to have to sit down and talk to him about this and risk making him mad. He just needs to practice more before he goes out there and just seems to view them as "just another deer" when he injures one. We view it as wasted meat. I also really enjoy watching the wildlife and the deer are my favorite. They don't kill my poultry or do any significant damage other than eating some of my flowers and those can be replaced pretty easily if they don't grow back. At least he seemed to take it fairly well. We did tell him that he is the only one that we were still allowing to track deer and the other neighbors have all been told they can no longer do so after the mess around here last year.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We actually get along with him and his wife well so it was hard to have to sit down and talk to him about this and risk making him mad. He just needs to practice more before he goes out there and just seems to view them as "just another deer" when he injures one. We view it as wasted meat. I also really enjoy watching the wildlife and the deer are my favorite. They don't kill my poultry or do any significant damage other than eating some of my flowers and those can be replaced pretty easily if they don't grow back. At least he seemed to take it fairly well. We did tell him that he is the only one that we were still allowing to track deer and the other neighbors have all been told they can no longer do so after the mess around here last year.
    That's a lot of wasted deer! Even 4 is more than id eat in 2 years.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That's a lot of wasted deer! Even 4 is more than id eat in 2 years.

It sounds like his family buys no meat at all in the store and venison is the main thing they eat. When the kids were still here at home, we would put two deer in the freezer and that would last us a year. I don't buy meat in the store, and we go through a half a beef a year and supplement with pork and chicken that we buy at the butcher. This guy isn't picky...he shoots every deer that walks past him from the way it sounds. I guess that is part of what makes me upset about his hunting. He doesn't seem to have any criteria that he uses. Hubby always tried to take ones that appeared to have any kind of injury that may not survive the winter (not sickly, but limping, etc). In all the years we have been here, I can only think of two times when hubby was unable to find a deer he had hit. Most drop fairly close to where they are shot and are recovered quickly. None have been recovered off of our property.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom