• Status
    Not open for further replies.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Update on ComputerGeek's ankle. Broke on both sides along with a dislocation, 4 screws on the inside of the left ankle and 2 plates and 14 screws on the outside. Currently he's been in post op for the last 2 hours and is in more pain than the initial break. As of right now it looks like he might be staying the night.

I'll throw a update at ya all when I hear more.

Dang, this sounds like it's getting worse by the day.

Although I don't know him, send him my best wishes, thanks IBM

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Update on ComputerGeek's ankle. Broke on both sides along with a dislocation, 4 screws on the inside of the left ankle and 2 plates and 14 screws on the outside. Currently he's been in post op for the last 2 hours and is in more pain than the initial break. As of right now it looks like he might be staying the night.

IBM, do you know if the hardware will stay in his leg? I'm just wondering, I know from experience that if it stays in it will hurt forever.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Question: Will A Metal Implant Set Off Metal Detectors?
    Answer: Airport metal detectors are quite sensitive to metals, this includes metal implants that may have been placed inside your body.
    Belt buckles, key chains, and steel toed shoes may set off these sensitive metal detectors. Many commonly used orthopedic implants may also set off the metal detectors.

The most commonly implanted orthopedic materials include stainless steel, cobalt chrome, and titanium. Different types of metal detectors work in different ways, but the newer airport screening detectors will identify patients with these metal implants.

Obviously, there is nothing you can do to change this. If you have a hip replacement, knee replacement, a metal plate and screws, a metal rod inside your bone, or one of many other type of orthopedic implants, you too may set off the airport metal detector. We used to give patients a card to carry to inform the security staff of your implanted device, however, there is no need to continue to use these cards.

Whether or not you have a card to alert the security personnel, they will have you step aside for further screening. To help you on your way, wear clothes that allow you to easily reveal your surgical scar (such as sweat pants, short sleeve shirts, etc.). Alert the security staff that you have a metal implant, and let them know where it is in your body. You will likely be screened with a metal detecting wand, but security sees many patients with these types of implants, and you shouldn't be delayed.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

That is one nasty break... literally.

Hope he recovers quickly.

BTW.. great meeting you yesterday IBM!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    When I got my knee replaced they sent me a card in the mail that shows my implant, the size of it, the date it was put in, and the Dr that did the surgery, just to show the guys that run the metal detectors.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    When I got my knee replaced they sent me a card in the mail that shows my implant, the size of it, the date it was put in, and the Dr that did the surgery, just to show the guys that run the metal detectors.

I have four of those cards somewhere but I never have had to use one, my left forearm is pretty much made of metal and even the airport ones never go off. I thought I would have problems when I flew but no issues yet.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    just curious.....when you go swimming does it pull you under a little or is it even noticeable?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    At least you only have to listen to them, I get to see, feel and hear them since I'm on the outer marker and in the direct flight path.

I hardly notice trhem anymore, that is unless we get a real low one like last week on takeoff. The house as shaking like it had just came down on top if the house so a I rush to the rear front door ro see on that was maybe 950 feet tops in the air. That got a phone call to the FAA and Friday I got a return call from them with the flight number, pilot and airline. So along with them getting chewed and fined for being to low, thay got a earfull from me also!

:laugh: I bet that pilot had a good day! Maybe they'll stop trying to over-load the jets... Probably not. :):

Oh, and I can still feel the rumble from them most days. Especially the low level jets. :dunno: I'm used to it though. Now a days I just go running outside when the helicopters fly low. :D

Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Hope he gets better soon! I've seen those breaks. They're nothing to mess around with.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    hello

sweet page ownage......and on page 1911 too.

Rules, brah. If you're on page 1911, I think you're still rattling 10 posts per page. You gotta get up to at LEAST 30 posts per page (but all the cool kids are ROCKIN at 40 posts per page :cool: ) in order to reeeaaallly be able to claim page ownership :yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom