• Status
    Not open for further replies.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Really guys, especially jclark, I've tried every, EVERY thing for poison ivy. Bleach, paint thinner, caladryl, calamine, nail polish, aloe vera..... I've researched it in GREAT DETAIL!
    1) As soon as you come in from possible exposure use this product called 'tecnu', they have it at Walmart down here (it is expensive though), it removes the urisol which is the protein compound on the leaves and stems that irritates the skin. This usually works for me, I don't get *much* of a rash if I follow this regimin.
    2) Benadryl (diphenhydramine) will help with the itching, taken orally it works system wide, it is a histamine blocker. Also you might try the benadryl cream or hydrocortisone cream 1% is the highest you can get OTC.
    3) If you get it real bad, I'd estimate greater than 3% body coverage, IE:both legs up to the knees. (Sorry jclark, your weiner only counts 1%, no matter how big it is....) Or if you get it in your eyes. I'd goto the doctor and ask if you could get some injections of steroids. Oral steroids are 'ok', but the injections work NOW.

Another way to get rid of the urisol is to denature the protein. This can be done in a variety of ways, the easiest, albeit not the least painful is to cover the are in near-boiling water. Again jclark, I wouldn't suggest this to you. I've done it once, I had it on my hands and lower arms. Filled a great big pot, like 10 or 12 gallons and heated it on the stove. Don't forget to leave some room for the water rise for the displacement of the part submerged. I heated it till it was simmering. I removed it from the stove then stuck my one hand and arm in. I was able to keep it in for about 1.5 seconds. It was quite painful. I alternated arms about 5 times. My arms were burnt, not bad. It hurt a bit afterwards. But, the poison ivy went away.

I'm just telling you what has worked for me. You maybe more allergic than I am (though I doubt it) You might be allergic to Benadryl or hydrocortisone. Always see a doctor.

Last edited:

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I see the stuff and get it....

I've also read that eating a small red PI leaf early in the season will keep you from getting it that year.....or...it could send you into anyphilaxis and kill you......

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Really guys, especially jclark, I've tried every, EVERY thing for poison ivy. Bleach, paint thinner, caladryl, calamine, nail police, aloe vera..... I've researched it in GREAT DETAIL!
    1) As soon as you come in from possible exposure use this product called 'tecnu', they have it at Walmart down here (it is expensive though), it removes the urisol which is the protein compound on the leaves and stems that irritates the skin. This usually works for me, I don't get *much* of a rash if I follow this regimin.
    2) Benadryl (diphenhydramine) will help with the itching, taken orally it works system wide, it is a histamine blocker. Also you might try the benadryl cream or hydrocortisone cream 1% is the highest you can get OTC.
    3) If you get it real bad, I'd estimate greater than 3% body coverage, IE:both legs up to the knees. (Sorry jclark, your weiner only counts 1%, no matter how big it is....) Or if you get it in your eyes. I'd goto the doctor and ask if you could get some injections of steroids. Oral steroids are 'ok', but the injections work NOW.

Another way to get rid of the urisol is to denature the protein. This can be done in a variety of ways, the easiest, albeit not the least painful is to cover the are in near-boiling water. Again jclark, I wouldn't suggest this to you. I've done it once, I had it on my hands and lower arms. Filled a great big pot, like 10 or 12 gallons and heated it on the stove. Don't forget to leave some room for the water rise for the displacement of the part submerged. I heated it till it was simmering. I removed it from the stove then stuck my one hand and arm in. I was able to keep it in for about 1.5 seconds. It was quite painful. I alternated arms about 5 times. My arms were burnt, not bad. It hurt a bit afterwards. But, the poison ivy went away.

I'm just telling you what has worked for me. You maybe more allergic than I am (though I doubt it) You might be allergic to Benadryl or hydrocortisone. Always see a doctor.

Once I get it in one area, It quickly spreads everywhere. I'll have to get a shot or take cortisone pills to get rid of it.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I was gonna say, Man I feel for ya, but that wouldn't sound right!! so I will just say get the calamine lotion out and go skinny dippin in it!! :D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Nope.....but they do itch.

Ok, well, unlike POC, I'm not made of money, but the nail polish will stop the itch and the spread. ;) Good luck with all that. I hate P/I. My worst case covered both my arms and part of my legs.

*shivers*

I have heard that by eating it you can become non-allergic, but I'm not eating P/I!!! :laugh:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You eat that poison ivy, you'll get it on your lips, tongue, and throat. I know of someone that did that. Big mistake.

I'm at work all by myself. Boss is gone for the day. Just me here! :rockwoot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You eat that poison ivy, you'll get it on your lips, tongue, and throat. I know of someone that did that. Big mistake.

I'm at work all by myself. Boss is gone for the day. Just me here! :rockwoot:

I watched someone do it too. They got it on their arms, and hand, but never their face. Never found out if they still got it after that though. It was just a rumor I heard. :dunno:

Today should be fun. Getta drive to the North side and sit in the van with the kids while the wife does her interview. God I hope she gets the job. Unemployment has been d***ing her around for weeks. :rolleyes:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Tomorrow I start working 10+hr days with double shifts on Fridays for at least a couple of months.:noway: I'm gonna go insane!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Tomorrow I start working 10+hr days with double shifts on Fridays for at least a couple of months.:noway: I'm gonna go insane!

YOU'RE DOIN' IT FOR THE MONEY.

That's what I tell myself.
    I'll be doing 10+ a day, but with only eight on, six off in a pay period.

I need to find a second job for those six days, I think.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom