Not open for further replies.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    anybody computer smart here?

My laptop fires up, hear the fan running, see lights flashing, specifically cap & number lock but the screen stays black. Any ideas?

We knew this shooting would start the knee jerk reactions. Really not a surprise bigs

Mine old laptop did that and the monitor came unplugged.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Just another thought... have you checked the cables on the desktop monitor? Sometimes the plugs work loose and cause crazy colors like that.

about the laptop:
    There should be a port on the back of the laptop that you can plug an external monitor into it. That'll tell you if it'll boot all the way and if its just the monitor. Other than that, I'd have to look at it in person to troubleshoot it. You might try to google something about a laptop that doesn't boot but just flashes lights. Something like that maybe :dunno:

not good says google search. well heck I don't know... what's the BIOS?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Basic Input Output System

It's what boots up the motherboard and sends power to everything so all the hardware can talk to each other. It's part of the Motherboard.

and that means what?

I can do what I need to do on the pc, after that I really am clueless.

I did find a diagnosis page, now I need to go upstairs and get the pc so I can check this out

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Well, think of it as the frame of a gun. It's what everything attaches to so that it can work together.

Do you open and close the laptop a lot? Does the laptop move around a lot or just sit on a desk?

If you open and close it a lot and move it around quite a bit I would guess that it just came unplugged. What brand of laptop is it?

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Right now doing my part to help the leeches of society. Smoking another cigarette so that I will have to buy more. My contribution for the day.

Not a thing in the world wrong with enjoying a cigarette or 50, thanks for the tax dollars! :rockwoot:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Well, think of it as the frame of a gun. It's what everything attaches to so that it can work together.

Do you open and close the laptop a lot? Does the laptop move around a lot or just sit on a desk?

If you open and close it a lot and move it around quite a bit I would guess that it just came unplugged. What brand of laptop is it?

well whatever was wrong was fixed with a hard reset. Sitting here with it on my lap plugged in with no battery in it and I see my hunky man background.

Yes I always close the lid otherwise the cat lays on it and yes it moves around alot.

shut the lid, reinserted battery and opened it back up, still working. hmmm

Now I am really confused.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    well whatever was wrong was fixed with a hard reset. Sitting here with it on my lap plugged in with no battery in it and I see my hunky man background.

Yes I always close the lid otherwise the cat lays on it and yes it moves around alot.

shut the lid, reinserted battery and opened it back up, still working. hmmm

Now I am really confused.

so it works without the battery but not with the battery?

Might need a new battery. :dunno:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    How are you HFB? I might get to see your car, I'm going to try to pick up Yamahas camper shell if I can get my F-150 fixed!

I'm good, figured out I'm gonna just gonna take the cyl head to a shop to be torn down, cleaned, valve job, and reassmbled instead of buying the tools to do myself.

haha the car don't look very good on jackstands, looks better on the track. ;):):

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    so it works without the battery but not with the battery?

Might need a new battery. :dunno:

sorry I wasn't real clear. the battery is back in but I never run off the battery. battery was out for the hard reset. Actually have moved back up to the living room and it's still working. Battery is in, wireless mouse is plugged back in and all is well. that's just to weird.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    sorry I wasn't real clear. the battery is back in but I never run off the battery. battery was out for the hard reset. Actually have moved back up to the living room and it's still working. Battery is in, wireless mouse is plugged back in and all is well. that's just to weird.

so, you let it go to standby/sleep all the time instead of shutting it down?

Maybe it just couldn't wake up for some reason. Who knows, glad it works now and you don't have to stare at the green screen anymore

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    so, you let it go to standby/sleep all the time instead of shutting it down?

Maybe it just couldn't wake up for some reason. Who knows, glad it works now and you don't have to stare at the green screen anymore

yes, is that a bad thing?

I couldn't wake up this morning either. Had kids to take to the bus stop and mine didn't even go to school today! I'm to good to these neighbor kids. Glad I was though as the bus was almost a half hour late. To cold to be standing out there that long.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom