Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Let me start out by saying I love the 1911's also! that being said I own two of them! I would not carry one as a EDC because of the fact you have to carry locked and cocked! What I am looking for is a gun that is combat ready! If I pull the trigger it shoots if I don't pull the trigger it would not shoot! Now what fits that bill If I absolutely had to carry a 1911 it would be the Para Ord LDA here is a picture of mine!

lda1.jpg

It has a double action trigger, down side is it still has a safety on both the slide and on the grip!

What I would want would be an S&W M&P or a Glock, H&K or Sig Khar, those come closer to a true combat gun and would be what I would and do carry, Just my 2 cents worth! When it's life and death Milli seconds count and could make the difference between walking away or being carried away. :D

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a Glock 22 and my EDC is a XD40-sc. Maybe I should trade them and move into the .45s and get a full size and a compact...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I looked at some Aks today... for some reason they don't seem to excite me all that much.

They had a Poly M14 that sort of drew my attention. I don't have a FN-FAL...

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused(surprise, surprise:):)...What about a 1911 isn't "combat ready?"

Couldn't you carry it without the safety on just like any other pistol without a thumb safety?

You could carry it with the hammer down on a chambered round but then any hit on the hammer could cause the gun to go off! and if you carry with the safety off and hammer down then you have to cock the hammer on the draw to bring the gun to ready to fire!

I don't want to have to be fumbling with safety's or cocking the hammer that's time I don't have! I need to be able to address the threat as fast as I can, Action is always faster than reaction! we react to their action! we are on the down side of time scale, anything I can do to shorten my reaction time will be to my advantage! :D

And it has a single action trigger vs the double action trigger,

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You could carry it with the hammer down on a chambered round but then any hit on the hammer could cause the gun to go off! and if you carry with the safety off and hammer down then you have to cock the hammer on the draw to bring the gun to ready to fire!

I don't want to have to be fumbling with safety's or cocking the hammer that's time I don't have! I need to be able to address the threat as fast as I can, Action is always faster than reaction! we react to their action! we are on the down side of time scale, anything I can do to shorten my reaction time will be to my advantage! :D

Well, it's hard to argue with that, not that I'd even try considering you have a countless amount of more experience than I do.;)

Point taken.:D

(Personally, I still feel more comfortable with a thumb safety though, but that's just me, myself and I)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Well, it's hard to argue with that, not that I'd even try considering you have a countless amount of more experience than I do.;)

Point taken.:D

(Personally, I still feel more comfortable with a thumb safety though, but that's just me, myself and I)

For a 100 years we didn't have a safety on the revolvers you pulled the trigger it fired you don't pull the trigger it does not go off! so why do we need one on a semi auto pistol ? manufactures put them on because people are unsafe! there is no such thing as an accidental shooting some one has done something unsafe to make the gun go boom! it will never go boom all by itself!! like I said I don't have that kind of time! and why when Police departments all across the country went from a revolver to a semi auto go with the Glock ? because it acts just like a revolver once loaded you pull the trigger it goes boom you don't it does not go boom, That is what I want in a gun for self defense! :D

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well this is mine!

Rexhall.jpg

Ohhhhh to own one of those one of these days!! We have a pop up. It's nice but I'd like to move into a travel trailer and then eventually what you have. Just paid ours off a year or so ago though so we aren't wanting to purchase another one. My car will even be paid off in about 6 months.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom