• Status
    Not open for further replies.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I thought I was going to have to whip a young corprals arse this evening...long story...short version, he said he was there to pick up test scores and I told him, I don't know you...so you ain't getting nothing. He flipped out...then I reminded him of who he works for and who I work for...he changed his tone and made a call to a recruiter I know. After I explained, on the phone, what went down...he got an arse chewing right there and was told to apologize to me for what he had said. Feel kind of bad for the young man...but he started out all wrong

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Please tell me it wasn't this!!

runner-poop-pants-500x335.jpg

Oh dear goodness, no. The upper end.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    July 25th, 2000 - 1409pm -- I was at work at the desk factory, I was a drafter in the Research and Development department. I had been on the Town of Orleans fire department for a little over a year. I'd completed all the training to be a Fire Fighter II, the highest level of general training in Indiana. I'd been in the training, but not a real, big fire. At 9 minutes after 2pm my pager went off. "Smoke in the Quicksilver Bar. No fire visible." I ran down the stairs, out the door and jumped in my truck. I responded on the radio, "County Fire, 18-03 is enroute." This is the standard response to a page, just to let the dispatcher know that someone heard the page and was doing something about it. I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the side street that the factory was on. This street intersected with highway 37 a little ways from the factory. When I pulled onto the highway I could see a plume of smoke rising over town, the factory is on the south side of town, about half a mile from downtown, where the bar is. I got on the radio again, "County Fire, I can see smoke from here, uh, go ahead and page us out again and District 2." I wanted to be sure that everyone on our department and the next closest department were on their way, because this was a real fire! Most of the time our "fire" calls are false alarms or stove fires.
    I had to drive passed the bar on the way to the fire station to get a truck. When I arrived at the station, the chief was there as was another fire fighter, Dennis. The Chief and I jumped in the new 1998 "Engine 18", Dennis got the 1969 "Truck 18" and we headed out for the 3 block ride to the fire.
    The Chief, Tom, was driving, I was running the siren and radio. "County Fire, Engine 18 on the scene, 18-01 has command, some smoke showing."
    Tom and I jumped out of the truck and grabbed our turnout gear bags from one of the compartments on the truck. We carried everyone gear on the Engine, because you never knew who was going to show up, depending on the time of day and day of the week.
    We jumped out and got our gear on as quick as we could, we got a flashlight and pike pole and ran into the bar where employees were still inside. There was only a thin 'haze' of smoke in the air inside. Someone told us that they thought the fire was in the hood over the stove in the kitchen. We looked up in the hood and didn't see anything. We moved back into a store room where the smoke was thicker. Tom shined the flashlight up to the dropped ceiling tiles and told me to lift one of them up. I took the end of the pole and slowly pushed up on the edge of the tile. The fire was raging in the space between the drop ceiling and the real ceiling about 2 feet above it. Our eyes got big and we looked at each other. We knew we needed to get water on this fire NOW! On our way out the front door we were met by Dennis who had taken the Truck around the block the other direction and pulled hose from the closest hydrant to the Engine. He pulled a handline off the truck and was on his way in with it. I grabbed the line, Tom said he'd go find the electic box and Dennis was to go back to the Engine and charge the line (that means put water into the hose). If you've never held a charged 1-3/4" fire hose, you have no idea what it is like. Imagine trying to carry a 2x4 through your house, and its 100 feet long. They just don't bend!
    I went back to the room we'd seen the fire in. The lights were still on and we are taught never to spray water into a "charged" building, good way to get shocked. The fire had burned part of the ceiling away or it had fallen in, regardless I was in the room with the fire and no backup. Another thing we're taught is "2 in, 2 out" rule. Always have a "buddy" inside a fire. We'd broken this rule, and I was scared, I'll admit it. I was waiting for it seemed like hours for Tom to show up. I finally felt that I had to spray water on this fire, even though the lights were still on. I opened the nozzle and sprayed the fire. Where ever I was spraying the water went out, but right next to it was still raging away. When I redirected the hose, the fire would rekindle where I had been. I was fighting a losing battle. Tom stuck his head in the door and said, "Pat, get the hell out of here!" I dropped the hose, figuring we'd regroup and come back in. Once we got out of the building and onto the street I saw that we were not going to be going back into the building. The fire was raging out the rear of the building which was only one story while the front was two stories. In the meantime, more of our department members had shown up, as well as the second response department. They had put their engine on the highway at the next closest hydrant and had handlines pulled. There was a very small alley, maybe 3 feet wide between the bar and the movie theater, they had a line aimed down this alley trying to keep the movie theater from catching fire. The theater had avoided disaster 15 years earlier when the building on the other side, which was actually attached to it had burned.
    To be continued....

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Current tags:

bacon, best thread on ingo, butthurt, epic thread, first church of bacon, groupie, i clogged ingo's toilet, kali, kincaide, lars carries a purse, manly men thread, mods stole my tags, pancakes > waffles, pi r good, sunburnt, the cake is a lie, the lie is a cake

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom