mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Speaking of the boys... frustration levels have been high all day again for both of us. Bryson (the real problem child) slammed a door on Susan's hand and broke the skin. I asked her if she blistered his butt, but she didn't. I would have if I'd have seen it. I get that kids misbehave sometimes, I really do, but all day, every day? I don't think that's normal.
    Are they just trying to get attention?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had talks with them, as has Susan, telling them that we would LOVE to be able to do fun things with them, but that we were NOT going to reward bad behavior. They apparently value being able to do the bad behavior more than they value doing fun things.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Our youngest granddaughter spoiled us. She was always so eager to please, polite, kept her things picked up when she wasn't using them, etc., even when she was like 2 years old. I guess I made the mistake in thinking that most kids were like that.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've had talks with them, as has Susan, telling them that we would LOVE to be able to do fun things with them, but that we were NOT going to reward bad behavior. They apparently value being able to do the bad behavior more than they value doing fun things.
    Then they need to fear the punishment more.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Do they know what fun things are? Maybe a reward program. Small rewards for small tasks or improvements. Something tangible they can see....a chart, a coin, etc. When they have earned enough small rewards, they can "cash them in" on a bigger prize. Again a chart they can see that explains how to earn and what rewards are options. Could be a toy or activity they want. Have them tell you what they want and use those things as goals. They could earn for making their bed, brushing their teeth, helping in the kitchen, sweeping a floor, watering the cat, etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Then they need to fear the punishment more.
    So far, I have limited my punishment to "angry grandpa voice", which does work temporarily like for getting them to pick up their toys and put them away, and Susan has swatted one of them on the butt for jumping on the beds (both of their twin beds have slats that I will have to put back as I discovered tonight) after telling them repeatedly not to do so. We've taken away things, thrown away some of their things... nothing seems to work.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do they know what fun things are? Maybe a reward program. Small rewards for small tasks or improvements. Something tangible they can see....a chart, a coin, etc. When they have earned enough small rewards, they can "cash them in" on a bigger prize. Again a chart they can see that explains how to earn and what rewards are options. Could be a toy or activity they want. Have them tell you what they want and use those things as goals. They could earn for making their bed, brushing their teeth, helping in the kitchen, sweeping a floor, watering the cat, etc.
    We would love to do that! But when they don't do any of those things without a fight, it ain't happening.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When they do something that we've had to tell them to do, we do thank them, but that's not reward-worthy when we have to get them to do it under duress.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And they can't read, so a chart won't mean anything to them. I just hope we can get them into pre-school or kindergarten soon. Maybe that will help.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Unfortunately gaining control is harder than maintaining control. I believe consistency is the key, if they think they can get away with something (even some of the times) they will do it.
    I don't know. When I was growing up, I really wanted very little interaction with my parents. And I had the most awesome parents ever. I was outside, winter, spring, summer and fall as much as possible. These kids have way more stuff outside to play with than I did too (and I grew up in this house). We played army or baseball, football, catch, or built snow forts, whatever, just to avoid having to be inside.

Now they're complaining because they don't have the "right" cartoon on tv. I told them that when I was their age, we had 4 channels to choose from, and cartoons were only on Saturday mornings. They have no concept of that.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't know. When I was growing up, I really wanted very little interaction with my parents. And I had the most awesome parents ever. I was outside, winter, spring, summer and fall as much as possible. These kids have way more stuff outside to play with than I did too (and I grew up in this house). We played army or baseball, football, catch, or built snow forts, whatever, just to avoid having to be inside.

Now they're complaining because they don't have the "right" cartoon on tv. I told them that when I was their age, we had 4 channels to choose from, and cartoons were only on Saturday mornings. They have no concept of that.
    Sounds like they wouldn't enjoy taking tv time away. Let them earn tv time with good behavior.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds like they wouldn't enjoy taking tv time away. Let them earn tv time with good behavior.
    We've tried that. They go back in their room and trash it. Then it's another fight getting them to pick up their room. I wish we had an extra room with absolutely nothing in it but the 4 walls, but we don't.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I still like the idea of bundling them up in warm clothes and just making them stay outside for several hours. But then they would no doubt pull out every outside toy they have and spread it all over the yard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom