• Status
    Not open for further replies.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Are they not rolled to a standard size? Or is it a judgement call as they're being rolled?
    Usually they are 5x6 so if you are looking at the roll on it’s side the width normally would be 5 feet and they would be 6 foot in length. The one I picked up yesterday was 6x6 so it was too wide to fit in the rear door of the trailer.

plus was way heavier thing was rolled super tight.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Pro tip: Do NOT make a trail of gasoline on snow and light it. As the gasoline burns and melts the snow, it also spreads across the top of the melting snow. We did it in our front yard as a kid and had a helluva time getting it stomped out. I was a latch key kid in case you hadn't guessed...

Dad burned our trash in the back and always used lots of gasoline on it. Half the time it'd blow up on him when he lit it - the windows would rattle in the house 100 yards away. He'd come back inside dirty from where he got tossed to the ground. It was just a part of our routine.

The one time it caused a problem was when we had bought a bunch of woodworking machinery that came in boxes packed with polystyrene foam. I think it was about 6 such boxes in a pile that was the size of a garden shed. The resulting black soot cloud went directly toward the highway... the police came and shut traffic down for over an hour because there was 0 visibility. We were instantly made local celebrities.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dad burned our trash in the back and always used lots of gasoline on it. Half the time it'd blow up on him when he lit it - the windows would rattle in the house 100 yards away. He'd come back inside dirty from where he got tossed to the ground. It was just a part of our routine.

The one time it caused a problem was when we had bought a bunch of woodworking machinery that came in boxes packed with polystyrene foam. I think it was about 6 such boxes in a pile that was the size of a garden shed. The resulting black soot cloud went directly toward the highway... the police came and shut traffic down for over an hour because there was 0 visibility. We were instantly made local celebrities.
    Wow! I didn't realize I was in the presence of a celebrity! :):

I had the fire department called on me once where I am living now. Had a big bunch of pine branches that had been brought down by an ice storm and I'd let them sit until they were good and dry. In the meantime a swarm of yellowjackets had made a home in them and thwarted my first attempt at taking them to the garden to burn them.

When I finally got them back there, I had a long, low pile. I figured if I just started it at one end, it would burn relatively slowly across the pile. I was wrong.

Ended up with flames nearly as high as the telephone lines and I think either a neighbor or a passerby called it in.

Fire department was cool. They saw I had it under control by the time they got there and let me take my time in putting it out. Never got fined or anything.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    When I was still living out on the farm the neighbor north of me had a bonfire and the flames were above the roof of their 2 story farm house Yes the fire department did show up.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Wow! I didn't realize I was in the presence of a celebrity! :):

I had the fire department called on me once where I am living now. Had a big bunch of pine branches that had been brought down by an ice storm and I'd let them sit until they were good and dry. In the meantime a swarm of yellowjackets had made a home in them and thwarted my first attempt at taking them to the garden to burn them.

When I finally got them back there, I had a long, low pile. I figured if I just started it at one end, it would burn relatively slowly across the pile. I was wrong.

Ended up with flames nearly as high as the telephone lines and I think either a neighbor or a passerby called it in.

Fire department was cool. They saw I had it under control by the time they got there and let me take my time in putting it out. Never got fined or anything.

I had a chicken coop here that the previous owners had left full of chicken poop and let the floor completely rot out of it... so I took 5 gallons of kerosene and gave it a good soaking inside and out. Was an impressive fire, but no one said a thing about it.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    I caved in a barn and then burned it. I made sure I stayed out front and visible, I think every fire dept volunteer drove by. You could hear them racing down the road and all of a sudden slow down and creep by and then drive off, disappointed I'm sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom