Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was a kid all I needed for an afternoon of fun was a can of carbide, a box of matches, and a field full of crawdad holes
    I thought we were the only ones that did that! Bonus if you could find two holes that connected. The gas would accumulate between them and you'd get an extra loud boom. We had a little creek that ran through our neighborhood that was the source of our crawdads and their holes.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I thought we were the only ones that did that! Bonus if you could find two holes that connected. The gas would accumulate between them and you'd get an extra loud boom. We had a little creek that ran through our neighborhood that was the source of our crawdads and their holes.

Our entire property was swampy, several acres. I found a huge blue crawdad on the back porch once. I should have taken a picture of it. It was a monster, about 6 or 7" long.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Our entire property was swampy, several acres. I found a huge blue crawdad on the back porch once. I should have taken a picture of it. It was a monster, about 6 or 7" long.
    I used to find them that big down by our church pond. I caught one in our creek once (only about 4" long) and put him in my fish tank. He started out brown, but after being in the clean water and molting a couple of times he turned blue. They sell those in pet shops as "blue lobsters" and charge a pretty penny for them. They're just crawdads though. :):

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I used to find them that big down by our church pond. I caught one in our creek once (only about 4" long) and put him in my fish tank. He started out brown, but after being in the clean water and molting a couple of times he turned blue. They sell those in pet shops as "blue lobsters" and charge a pretty penny for them. They're just crawdads though. :):

I had no idea they would get that big or turn blue until then. I knew some people used them for bait. And, I guess I could see why some people would want them as pets but I never thought about that. Easily could have made a fortune even selling them for $1! We had acres of them and the holes were every 3-4ft.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had no idea they would get that big or turn blue until then. I knew some people used them for bait. And, I guess I could see why some people would want them as pets but I never thought about that. Easily could have made a fortune even selling them for $1! We had acres of them and the holes were every 3-4ft.
    You have to get the ones that have just molted for bait (soft shells). We used to fish with them up on Lake Freeman/Tippecanoe River. They made special hooks for them that were kind of like little harnesses.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was a kid all I needed for an afternoon of fun was a can of carbide, a box of matches, and a field full of crawdad holes
    Another thing we did with carbide was make tennis ball cannons (kind of like potato guns). Back then pop cans were made out of steel instead of paper-thin aluminum. We'd cut the ends out of all of them except the bottom of the bottom can, duct tape them end to end to make our cannon, punch a small ignition hole in the side of the bottom can. Add carbide, a little water then the tennis ball (which would stop at the bottom "ridge" of the top can), let the gas accumulate then stick a match in the ignition hole. They were about as loud as a 12 gauge and had quite a kick. They'd send the tennis ball up so high that it would almost go out of sight. :):

I bought a Big Bang cannon a few years ago that uses carbide powder and water for its charge, ignited by a spark from a flint. It makes a pretty loud bang!

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Another thing we did with carbide was make tennis ball cannons (kind of like potato guns). Back then pop cans were made out of steel instead of paper-thin aluminum. We'd cut the ends out of all of them except the bottom of the bottom can, duct tape them end to end to make our cannon, punch a small ignition hole in the side of the bottom can. Add carbide, a little water then the tennis ball (which would stop at the bottom "ridge" of the top can), let the gas accumulate then stick a match in the ignition hole. They were about as loud as a 12 gauge and had quite a kick. They'd send the tennis ball up so high that it would almost go out of sight. :):

I bought a Big Bang cannon a few years ago that uses carbide powder and water for its charge, ignited by a spark from a flint. It makes a pretty loud bang!

We made noisemakers from 2 liter soda bottle, put [common household items] inside. Shake it up and step away.

Some kids in KY got a visit from the BATFE and Homeland Security for doing the same thing. :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We made noisemakers from 2 liter soda bottle, put [common household items] inside. Shake it up and step away.

Some kids in KY got a visit from the BATFE and Homeland Security for doing the same thing. :rolleyes:
    Some people used to use either lighter fluid or even hairspray instead of carbide for the cannons. Carbide worked so much better though. I mean, it makes freakin' acetylene gas!

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Yeah, the acetylene definitely had a better kick to it than anything else we ever tried. I think we ran out of carbide sometime in the late 80's and I never knew where to get any more.

We put hairspray or aerosol wd40 in 5 gallon water jugs and made rockets out of them too.

We had acreage so anything that caught on fire or blew up was ours to deal with and no one had to know...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, the acetylene definitely had a better kick to it than anything else we ever tried. I think we ran out of carbide sometime in the late 80's and I never knew where to get any more.

We put hairspray or aerosol wd40 in 5 gallon water jugs and made rockets out of them too.

We had acreage so anything that caught on fire or blew up was ours to deal with and no one had to know...
    Pro tip: Do NOT make a trail of gasoline on snow and light it. As the gasoline burns and melts the snow, it also spreads across the top of the melting snow. We did it in our front yard as a kid and had a helluva time getting it stomped out. I was a latch key kid in case you hadn't guessed...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom