• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I think brad said it was going to be a freestyle match. Idpa round count rules will be in effect, but I think everything else is free game. No cover, possibly any gun types and I want to say no course descriptions. Outlaw rules, per se? Maybe Jeff can jump in here with more details.

We hit Academy as well this weekend, not overly impressed with anything in particular. They did have Hornady 3-die sets and the earlier mentioned overpriced primers, but nothing else seemed to really stand out. Gun counter was fairly lackluster, but who's isn't compared to Whitakers. :D

Last edited:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    So who managed to hit Academy up this weekend? We dropped by and they have a lot of stuff, a combo of Dick's and Gander...but I don't know if it is a good combo. Despite GM having horrendous gun prices I still end up shopping there for stuff...in fact grabbed a new pair of Merrell's that Academy didn't even stock from GM..a bit disappointed in the reloading section (1 shelf of highly priced primers and no powder) and their pistol section left a lot to be desired....

Not impressed at all. Tall narrow aisles, so-so prices, disappointing gun section... The ugly, bastard child of Dick's and GM. Didn't see anything there I can't get cheaper elsewhere.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So who managed to hit Academy up this weekend? We dropped by and they have a lot of stuff, a combo of Dick's and Gander...but I don't know if it is a good combo. Despite GM having horrendous gun prices I still end up shopping there for stuff...in fact grabbed a new pair of Merrell's that Academy didn't even stock from GM..a bit disappointed in the reloading section (1 shelf of highly priced primers and no powder) and their pistol section left a lot to be desired....

I'm not sure which Academy you're talking about, but me and the family stopped in at the new one in Owensboro. I doubt I'll go back. The stuff we'd care about was non-existent.....well, I'd care about anyway, I'm not sure what "Merrell's" are. It just seemed like a huge, expanded sporting goods section at Wal-Mart only with worse prices. I don't recall seeing anything in the way of reloading but there were several aisles filled with a hundred or so people that I avoided. The guns were your typical low-end Remingtons and Taurus, Ruger and maybe some flavor of Glock.

I did purchase a pair of $10 hunting gloves with the $10 certificate they sent in the mail. Had to redeem the trip somehow:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Evansville got the sister store to the Owensboro one. Stick and Ball sports are well represented and a decent fishing section...gun cleaning section was pretty good and they have a few Magpul items but from a shooter's standpoint it was disappointing.

FYI, Merrell is a shoe company and my favorite maker of hiking boots... they have prevented me from being a 2 Time recipient of 4 x 4 of the Year award :D LOL

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Not impressed at all. Tall narrow aisles, so-so prices, disappointing gun section... The ugly, bastard child of Dick's and GM. Didn't see anything there I can't get cheaper elsewhere.

Exactly! They had the now Official IDPA Shooter's Wagon there for more money than Sam's (FYI Jay, those have the BIG wheels on them :D ) and it will be a decent enough place to wander around but I'd honestly rather shop at Gander between the 2 of them.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think brad said it was going to be a freestyle match. Idpa round count rules will be in effect, but I think everything else is free game. No cover, possibly any gun types and I want to say no course descriptions. Outlaw rules, per se? Maybe Jeff can jump in here with more details.

We go to the same rumor mill :).

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    We go to the same rumor mill :).

LOL I had forgotten about Brad describing what he wanted to do with the next match. I'd slept since then so I'm glad Brent remembered!

Depending on how things shake out, I may or may not be there for this Saturday's shoot...busy weekends coming up and I'm going to have to make room somehow!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

Meh, not impressed at all. Probably won't bother going back.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I looked in the gun case at Academy - A RUGER p226, did not have the heart to tell them it was a SIG. I got 3 - $10 coupons. So 3 boxes of carry ammo, Hornady. $18- $10 x 3= $24. Not a bad score. Saw this:
    Looks cool, like zombie ammo. But I don't experiment with ammo anymore.
    TNAAD9115.jpg

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Got an email last night from GADPA, (Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association). They are the club that hosts the GA State Match. The email reads as follows:

"You are receiving this email to inform you about a decision that the GADPA Board of Directors has made about the future of our club. As of October 27th, 2014, the Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association is discontinuing its affiliation with the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA).

This decision was not taken likely. Due to irreconcilable differences with IDPA Headquarters/Leadership, GADPA is perusing a exciting new direction. Matches will continue under the GADPA banner (Both indoor and outdoor ranges). These events will now be GADPA matches, not IDPA matches. GADPA will continue to deliver the quality you have come to expect. Please be patient while we make this transition.

This decision is made with the best intention for our club. We realize this may not sit well with some of you. However IDPA in Georgia will continue under other clubs. We realize there will be several questions and we ask for your patients while we address those concerns."

You know it's bad when IDPA clubs start using divorce terminology to break away from the organization.

Thing is, they aren't the first big club as of late to make this move and their BOD is composed of some pretty important figures in the IDPA world. IDPA HQ kind of has the reputation of "don't let the door hit you on the way out" mentality but I'm not sure of the exact issues that's making these big clubs leave.

And, this particular break away has implications that reach a little closer to us. Short story, it works north from Atlanta to Nashville to Bowling Green.

For me personally, this is yet another hit (Manchester was the first) to my major match schedule except this one is far more important. I used the GA State Match to coincide with visits to my in-laws in Atlanta. Now, I'll just have to sit on a couch the whole time praying it's over quickly.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Got an email last night from GADPA, (Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association). They are the club that hosts the GA State Match. The email reads as follows:

"You are receiving this email to inform you about a decision that the GADPA Board of Directors has made about the future of our club. As of October 27th, 2014, the Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association is discontinuing its affiliation with the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA).

This decision was not taken likely. Due to irreconcilable differences with IDPA Headquarters/Leadership, GADPA is perusing a exciting new direction. Matches will continue under the GADPA banner (Both indoor and outdoor ranges). These events will now be GADPA matches, not IDPA matches. GADPA will continue to deliver the quality you have come to expect. Please be patient while we make this transition.

This decision is made with the best intention for our club. We realize this may not sit well with some of you. However IDPA in Georgia will continue under other clubs. We realize there will be several questions and we ask for your patients while we address those concerns."

You know it's bad when IDPA clubs start using divorce terminology to break away from the organization.

Thing is, they aren't the first big club as of late to make this move and their BOD is composed of some pretty important figures in the IDPA world. IDPA HQ kind of has the reputation of "don't let the door hit you on the way out" mentality but I'm not sure of the exact issues that's making these big clubs leave.

And, this particular break away has implications that reach a little closer to us. Short story, it works north from Atlanta to Nashville to Bowling Green.

For me personally, this is yet another hit (Manchester was the first) to my major match schedule except this one is far more important. I used the GA State Match to coincide with visits to my in-laws in Atlanta. Now, I'll just have to sit on a couch the whole time praying it's over quickly.

Yikes!!! Any speculation as to why the breaks are occurring? From a shooter's standpoint there probably isn't anything that appears out of the ordinary but from the admins on up at that level of club I'm sure it is something. Everybody sick of Joyce? LOL

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom