• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yeah, I can totally understand not necessarily wanting to cross into the master territory, for the exact reason TJ mentioned... getting there, then feeling stuck if your progress really screeches to a halt, making you want to switch to something else.

I think I finally have my head around the Classifier but I think the way you described being in a class that you feel trapped in sort of gives me a bit of pause in really trying to hone my Classifier stuff. In the end, before my shooting competitively career is over I want to have that Master designation by my name. But I'd also like to have a few trophies hanging on the wall and I don't know if me, Master and trophy will all work out well together LOL

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    this might be the post of the year! I might have to stop by and grab a bunch!

They had camo umbrellas last time I was in there.

Think the 'use what you have already paid for' ammo thing will have me shooting a 9 for a while (:gaychase:) .
    Also want to try out a flat trigger & it seems like the only way to really see how it works will be to see what happens in a match or two (waaa2 ) . Have developed the notion that March - November you shoot what you've picked and don't change nuttin never but winter is r&d time.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    They had camo umbrellas last time I was in there.

Think the 'use what you have already paid for' ammo thing will have me shooting a 9 for a while (:gaychase:) .
    Also want to try out a flat trigger & it seems like the only way to really see how it works will be to see what happens in a match or two (waaa2 ) . Have developed the notion that March - November you shoot what you've picked and don't change nuttin never but winter is r&d time.

I'm with you on the 'run what you brung' sort of thing especially for that time of the year. I'm trying to stockpile 9mm so I'll be bringing out the old .45 (haven't exactly decided which one yet) for the next month or so just to mix it up a bit and save those 9mm bullets! Prolly run the old reliable G21 so I'm not completely thrown off. I WILL hit EX with that gun one of these days!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Hope everyone shoots well Saturday! I won't be making this one although I really wanted to and had planned to. It was suppose to be my official entrance into ESP. Deer season started off great for me but mid-way through I lost my hunting grounds, then my stepfather got laid up in the hospital, died, funeral, etc. Plus some folks at church got hospitalized. So, I've got 4 more tags to fill, need to scramble this week to find some land and smokepole season opens Saturday.

I hope Santa will bring me a crossbow so I can get another month in next year:)

Anyway, I hope it isn't completely miserable for ya'll. And if it is you can think to yourself "At least I'm not sitting motionless in the woods like TJ.":laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Sorry to hear about your loss, always rough especially during this time of the year. We will miss you out there, so take care and happy hunting!

With the winter storm on Thurs/Fri it should make for an interesting match. On a side-note any information about the cancelation of the match can be relayed here or on Southern Indiana Competitive Shooting so everybody pay attention!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Aye, sorry to hear about your step-father and other folks as well. I knew we hadn't heard much from you, but just assumed you were squatting in the bush trying to get those tags filled.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks Mike and Brent.

Was catching up on this thread and noticed the goals for next year folks were listing. I think the setting of goals is good- and I've set several myself. I've also achieved several of them and have found the below quote to be spot on. It comes from "West Texas Granny" off the Enos forum. Just offering it up here for folks to take perspective:

"I know some will disagree but reaching the goal is not that important. It's the journey one undertakes to be in a position to accomplish that goal is what really matters. Just take a look at what You have experienced and who you have met since the first day you started shooting. Think of all those experiences and the knowledge you have gained as a result of trying to reach this goal. The memories and the storys you share with others. The focus should be on the journey. So when you get to feeling down think about the journey that got you to this point because in the end the journey is real the reward."

In my opinion and experience, this statement is spot on. When I started competing at RB back in 9/11 I knew exactly 1 person- Titanium Frost. And quickly met Mike and eventually the rest of the crew. Since that time I've shot matches in 8 states, been squadded with everyone from Novice shooters to the best of the best and got to know all of them well enough to call them friends. I've put so much time in on this sport that it sometimes felt like a job---and a whole bunch of money.:laugh: I didn't even own my own handgun until 2010 or so and when I started competing I just wanted to learn to handle it better. Then it went "let's see how well I can do", then to "I want to win regional and state titles" then to "I want to make MA" and finally to "I want to win my class at nationals" then to "I want to best Jerry on at least one COF." I've been blessed to meet every one of those goals.

Now I've got a new season coming up and I'm sitting here examining what I really want to do. I'm going to run bottom feeder because I want the challenge of learning a new platform. I plan to shoot fewer majors and really the only ones where the better friends I've made across a few states will be shooting as well. I want to give back more as well, hopefully work out something/somewhere that I can offer what knowledge I've gained to newer shooters in an affordable way. Most of all I think I'm excited to shoot more with my family, as my oldest will turn twelve in August. Really looking forward to training with him.

So where does that leave the shooting goals? I'll make MA and I'll compete at a MA level. To me, that's a goal and a given. It will happen. And lest you think I'm getting soft competition wise with this post, I do look forward to competing and smoking every one of you:draw::laugh:

But it's not as important to me as the journey of learning, giving back, being with family and friends.

Enjoy the journey, my friends.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Very well spoken! I had no idea when I started what the years following would bring but it has been awesome and a bit expensive! I know I want that MA by my name probably as much as I'd like to have awards on the wall. In then end, if I can be outside and be with my shooting friends I'm good!

Could be an interesting day come Saturday...weather doesn't look good...saw a prediction showing a possible accumulation of more than 5 or 6 inches by Friday. That might do us in at RB on Saturday. : (

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Meh, it won't start snowing until 9mm that morning. :D

TJ, you will be shooting in ESP, correct? With magwells and fancy trigger upgrades? I'm trying to work the grit from this m&p, I think it's the firing pin safety.. Either burrs in the plunger hole or the plunger itself needs some rounding off. Been dryfiring quite a bit to see if it will work out some.

Top Bottom