• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I had my pick of Mustangs the best was prolly the 69 BOSS 429. But I have also always been a fan of the 71 Boss 351. I will never understand why Ford only produced the Cleveland motors for 4 years in the US.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I had my pick of Mustangs the best was prolly the 69 BOSS 429. But I have also always been a fan of the 71 Boss 351. I will never understand why Ford only produced the Cleveland motors for 4 years in the US.

Unleaded fuel and emissions probably killed the Cleveland. Was that a specific NASCAR related offering...???
    I remember a lot of the local idiots claiming they had Cleveland in their Fords and when looked at the were Windsors.
    Boss 302 Clev. was a serious little engine just like the DZ-302 was to Chev.
    The heads were really amazing for cast pieces.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    No love for the Stang makes me sad. :( My uncle just picked this one up for my aunt yesterday, they will be changing the blue. I had a white 66 that was awesome. I am looking at one with the 5.0 ('11-current), even though it doesn't sound the same as the old one.

IMG_1082_zpsybt3reud.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No love for the Stang makes me sad. :( My uncle just picked this one up for my aunt yesterday, they will be changing the blue. I had a white 66 that was awesome. I am looking at one with the 5.0 ('11-current), even though it doesn't sound the same as the old one.

View attachment 49154

No love for the Stang II lite.
    The 60's early (very) 70's were OK.

New ones were rally cool when the retroed them.
    The latest ones dont blow my skirt up.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Anyone have a line on online info for 40's Plymouths? We have an almost all original '41 Special Deluxe int the shop right now. It is vapor locking after replacing the fuel pump. Whoever ran the fuel line used copper up close to the engine so we are thinking about replacing that with steel line but are also unsure if the routing is correct. I found an online service manual but it doesn't show anything for the fuel line. Any help is appreciated and I am back to searching again.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Unleaded fuel and emissions probably killed the Cleveland. Was that a specific NASCAR related offering...???
    I remember a lot of the local idiots claiming they had Cleveland in their Fords and when looked at the were Windsors.
    Boss 302 Clev. was a serious little engine just like the DZ-302 was to Chev.
    The heads were really amazing for cast pieces.

No it wasn't a NASCAR specific offering. It was only made here in the US from 71-74 (as I understand). As compared to the Windsor the Cleveland is completely different. The biggest performace difference is the heads. Windsors have smaller rectangular ports where as the Cleveland had 2 different style heads 2V and 4V (V is for venturi ). Even the smaller 2V heads had much larger ports than a Windsor but were more streetable than the 4V head. The 4V head was primarily designed as pretty much a factory race head. Also, the Cleveland heads have canted valves. More or less they pretty much made big block power but in a small block. They were used on NASCAR for many years but primarily they used blocks manufactured in Australia because they had a higher nickel content and were manufactured into the late 80s.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anyone have a line on online info for 40's Plymouths? We have an almost all original '41 Special Deluxe int the shop right now. It is vapor locking after replacing the fuel pump. Whoever ran the fuel line used copper up close to the engine so we are thinking about replacing that with steel line but are also unsure if the routing is correct. I found an online service manual but it doesn't show anything for the fuel line. Any help is appreciated and I am back to searching again.

I would insulate the existing line.
    The new "Fuels" have a much lower flash point than the leaded fuel that car was ran on originally.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I was a kid back in the 80s, dad raced late model stock cars and he ran cleveland motors. I remember when he made a big upgrade to a dry sump oil system and bought a complete engine from Bill & Ernie Elliott. Back then he bought up lots of stuff from NASCAR teams. He still has a phone list in the garage of people he bought from.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I would insulate the existing line.
    The new "Fuels" have a much lower flash point than the leaded fuel that car was ran on originally.

Muttx7. I agree with Churchmouse. I would insulate the fuel lines. If they get too hot the gas will literally try to boil in the line.

Looking into doing that, thanks guys. It's weird because it was fine the other day when it was really hot and humid. Yesterday wasn't that bad and it vapor locked. Have to wait until the boss gets back and see what we are going to do.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Looking into doing that, thanks guys. It's weird because it was fine the other day when it was really hot and humid. Yesterday wasn't that bad and it vapor locked. Have to wait until the boss gets back and see what we are going to do.
    Only thing I was able to find in our shop. Along with what the others stated, it's pretty common to have to make a heat shield to bolt under the carb.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Only thing I was able to find in our shop. Along with what the others stated, it's pretty common to have to make a heat shield to bolt under the carb.

Thanks for that! One of the things I have found and we have been talking about is this car has a low compression engine but the owner said he uses high octane gas. Supposedly ethanol is used to boost the octane and therefore higher octane gas will cause vapor lock easier than lower octane fuel. Found a detailed explanation about it all on a military vehicle forum of all places.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks for that! One of the things I have found and we have been talking about is this car has a low compression engine but the owner said he uses high octane gas. Supposedly ethanol is used to boost the octane and therefore higher octane gas will cause vapor lock easier than lower octane fuel. Found a detailed explanation about it all on a military vehicle forum of all places.
    :ingo: I wouldn't be using high octane fuel in that old girl... Not needed.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    :ingo: I wouldn't be using high octane fuel in that old girl... Not needed.

Lol. Looks like we are draining it and getting low octane. We just got the high octane because that is what the owner says he uses and never had any trouble. Didn't even think about the alcohol content.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Lol. Looks like we are draining it and getting low octane. We just got the high octane because that is what the owner says he uses and never had any trouble. Didn't even think about the alcohol content.
    Just remember the customer is always right, except when they aren't, but it's still your fault. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom