Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Motorhome 454 and a th400. 4.10 with a posi. Dunzo.

I have a bit of experience in this area.

We are connected with a large salvage/recovery yard. When folks started scooping up everything scrap motorhomes were fair game. They would come in the yard with 35 to 40K on the clocks and sitting for a few years. 454's/440's and some big Fords as in 460's.
    The 454's were super duty pieces but low RPM hi torque. Scooped up probably 6 of these to go into various projects. We dropped one right into a 70 Impala that a friend got from his Grand father. Car was mint. Headers/manifold/carb and a 3.73 posi.
    Granted it was faster then the tired small block that came out of it but it was a turd by any standard.
    The blocks are amazing pieces even the 2 bolt main offerings.

Fast.....Nope. They just aint built for that work.
    But you can not hurt one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What do you think I'm trying to do?! :stickpoke:

I have not been able to get a car in my shop in 5 years.
    We do everything on the vehicles in the driveway in front of the shop.
    I can build an engine/rear end/guns anything that size in there. Last car I built in there was like I said.....5 years ago.
    The S/S will be home soon and up on stands in the drive behind the gates. I have to strip the drive train and then get it out to the Fab shop.

You need a lift for your plans.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have not been able to get a car in my shop in 5 years.
    We do everything on the vehicles in the driveway in front of the shop.
    I can build an engine/rear end/guns anything that size in there. Last car I built in there was like I said.....5 years ago.
    The S/S will be home soon and up on stands in the drive behind the gates. I have to strip the drive train and then get it out to the Fab shop.

You need a lift for your plans.

No way, throw it up on jack stands and go to work.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I work on nice stuff all day long. My rusty junk is my release. Good for the soul.

I've seen the pics of some of the cars you get to work on. I on the other hand work on beat up, worn out, daily driven cars and more than I car to touch rusted out pile of junk pick ups. The cars for the most part not too bad to work on...mostly because we replace a lot of the same stuff over & over. But, the rusted out junk trucks..sorry bro I can't relate that to being any kind of release. I call that aggrevation. I can appreciate the work some do to bring back something that started as a rusty heap but I would rather start a project with something more solid. But my hats off to those highly motivated to jump into a rusty build

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've seen the pics of some of the cars you get to work on. I on the other hand work on beat up, worn out, daily driven cars and more than I car to touch rusted out pile of junk pick ups. The cars for the most part not too bad to work on...mostly because we replace a lot of the same stuff over & over. But, the rusted out junk trucks..sorry bro I can't relate that to being any kind of release. I call that aggrevation. I can appreciate the work some do to bring back something that started as a rusty heap but I would rather start a project with something more solid. But my hats off to those highly motivated to jump into a rusty build

I am at a point that beyond general maint. I just do not care to work on a daily driver.
    I will if I have to but man I just do not care for it anymore.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Luckily only my tailgate is clapped out. The frame, mechanicals, and most of the body is solid. I do have a ton of primer showing where it used to be white.

I have had a bunch of show cars and loved them, but keeping them nice and worrying about ever little flaw gets old.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Luckily only my tailgate is clapped out. The frame, mechanicals, and most of the body is solid. I do have a ton of primer showing where it used to be white.

I have had a bunch of show cars and loved them, but keeping them nice and worrying about ever little flaw gets old.
    Bingo. That was one of the primary reasons I sold my 72 Cheyenne. I do wish I had it back now, because I've realized if you're gonna drive them, they are gonna get battle scars. Embrace them. I do not worry about scratches or dents, chips or bird ****. It's awesome. Wash? When's the next rain? That huge puddle just became my underbody wash. Those dirt roads are a lot of fun too. It's also fun throwing gravel.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom