• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The issue of warr. is a false narrative. You pay for it. It is factored in to the cost.
    Then collecting on it is again, a waste of valuable time. Are they paying you to pull the engine. That aint free.

I have installed numerous Ford reman crate engines. I have had a few that had issues, one wouldn't build oil pressure when priming the pump. Had others that had bearing failures, even had one that kicked a rod out of the block. Every one of them were sent to the Ford dealer for 100% warranty parts and labor. It's aggravating when it happens,and unfortunately it does. A friend bought a race engine once from a well known engine ahop here in Indy and on first start up had low oil pressure. Took it out and found the pick up was cracked. I think the issue here is where did the crate engine come from and will the warranty cover the labor? Sometimes they won't cover labor unless it is replaced by an authorized shop. Good luck

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In all honesty I have had more trouble with engines that have been built by independent engine/machine shops. It's always a roll of the dice. But I will say the guy we use now is top notch, stands behind everything he builds.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It was ordered through Summit. "We" actually are a Ford dealer as well. They want the engine exactly how it was dropped in the car with the exception of the carb, dizzy and a couple other things. Who knows how long it's gonna take. We had not planned for this so it is not on the schedule, shop is full with other customers wanting their cars back...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    In all honesty I have had more trouble with engines that have been built by independent engine/machine shops. It's always a roll of the dice. But I will say the guy we use now is top notch, stands behind everything he builds.
    This is #3 crate engine I've been around that's not been right. First was a Jasper olds 455 that had a rear main seal installed backwards. Second was my uncles 383 Chevy, that had oil consumption issues, now this. I don't trust anyone. The only person I trust is the man I work with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is #3 crate engine I've been around that's not been right. First was a Jasper olds 455 that had a rear main seal installed backwards. Second was my uncles 383 Chevy, that had oil consumption issues, now this. I don't trust anyone. The only person I trust is the man I work with.

The only person I trust is me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Understood, there are some fantastic engine builders out there but, it can be a roll of the dice especially when you don't know who is doing the work. I have screwed together plenty of engines but I know my limitations and when you find that one builder some of what you pay for is the experience and help down the road

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Understood, there are some fantastic engine builders out there but, it can be a roll of the dice especially when you don't know who is doing the work. I have screwed together plenty of engines but I know my limitations and when you find that one builder some of what you pay for is the experience and help down the road

Parts will fail. No one has "X"-ray vision nor are we Clairvoyant.
    I built up a small block for a good friend. He dropped it in his car and life stopped him working on it. 2 years later it was sold to pay some medical bills. Another year goes by and I get a knock on my door. I have no idea who the guy is but he is all pissed off that the engine in his car spun a rod bearing and I built it so I was responsible. "Really"
    The guy was a serious douche so he was run off. Later my buddy calls me and says he looked at the engine. It was obvious the douche had been messing with it and ran it out of oil. He said it looked like the filter had been leaking.
    Well, damn thing ran for over a year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom